Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

so.. real tough men dont cry?:doh:

Of course they do, just not on television for votes.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between "strength" and "idiot obstinacy" in this particular situation, but Trump supporters did vote for Trump to make them look like the international equivalent of Millwall FC in terms of attitude towards the international arena so I guess he's giving them what they want.

In the meantime, Singapore awaits.

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Watching Justin Trudeau try to look tough is almost comical on the World stage.

You can't sit there crying on TV for votes showing how much "empathy" you hsve and then try to act like you want respect from tough leaders in the G7, everyone knows it's bollocks. 

Think you just misunderstand our soft Canadian personalities. We come across as polite and friendly but there comes a point where we wont take someones ish. Dont make me jersey you lol

And besides trudeau was just repeating (like trump repeats everything he says over and over) what he had said previously about tit for tat tariffs  etc. There was nothing new in his words per say.

Trumps just mad someone stole his thunder and gave him some of his own medicine back woth tough talk. He cant handle it and cried like a baby and then sent his people to complain about it on tv. Back stabbed lol please.

Somewhat related:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/climate/trump-administration-science.html

Is there any justification whatsoever for not having a science advisor on hand - even for matters of national security which seem to be so close to the hearts of this particular administration?

Edit - from the comments:

"There is probably nothing more destructive to humanity and the survival of planet Earth as we know it than the denial of what science tells us. The scientific method (from which all legitimate knowledge arises) does not guarantee perfect truth but it is the process that brings humans closest to it. To ignore science is to ignore reality until you can no longer do so."

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

so.. real tough men dont cry?:doh:

Real politicians don't cry on television for votes, their sex is irrelevant. 

Moreover, Matt didn't mention sex, you did. That's you projecting your own world view, not his. 

• Like 4

A further comment on that article, also interesting:

"In his book, "Four Futures: Life After Capitalism," Peter Frase argues convincingly that climate-change deniers among the political and financial elite are not stupid or even themselves disbelieving in human-made climate change. Rather, they do believe in climate change and are trying to distract the mainstream population even as they position themselves to be among the few who will thrive and live well as climate change wreaks havoc on the world economy and the food supply of the masses.

Seen in this light, Trump's anti-science position indicates not ignorance but a much more sinister motivation. It is very clear that he is using his presidency to secure the business interests of himself and his family. This is not motivated merely by profit (although profit always enters into the equation with Trump), but a more basic parental instinct to protect and secure the future for his children and progeny as the world order degenerates further into disarray. In short, he is building an ark for his family in anticipation of the figurative (if not actual) flood to come from global warming which will wipe out much of the earth's population.

Trump doesn't need a science adviser because
 in his mind, the current world order is beyond help and beyond any technological fix. He may not be wrong, and indeed he may be the ultimate realist."

I've considered this conspiracy theory a bit myself, but IMO I think it falls down because if the world changes in the way that is suggested here all the preparation in the world will not save Trump and his ilk - at least not for long. They would merely be the last to die.

However, I wonder if Trump himself knows that. Could he be trying the above merely underestimating the consequences..?

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A further comment on that article, also interesting:

"In his book, "Four Futures: Life After Capitalism," Peter Frase argues convincingly that climate-change deniers among the political and financial elite are not stupid or even themselves disbelieving in human-made climate change. Rather, they do believe in climate change and are trying to distract the mainstream population even as they position themselves to be among the few who will thrive and live well as climate change wreaks havoc on the world economy and the food supply of the masses.

Seen in this light, Trump's anti-science position indicates not ignorance but a much more sinister motivation. It is very clear that he is using his presidency to secure the business interests of himself and his family. This is not motivated merely by profit (although profit always enters into the equation with Trump), but a more basic parental instinct to protect and secure the future for his children and progeny as the world order degenerates further into disarray. In short, he is building an ark for his family in anticipation of the figurative (if not actual) flood to come from global warming which will wipe out much of the earth's population.

Trump doesn't need a science adviser because
 in his mind, the current world order is beyond help and beyond any technological fix. He may not be wrong, and indeed he may be the ultimate realist."

I've considered this conspiracy theory a bit myself, but IMO I think it falls down because if the world changes in the way that is suggested here all the preparation in the world will not save Trump and his ilk - at least not for long. They would merely be the last to die.

However, I wonder if Trump himself knows that. Could he be trying the above merely underestimating the consequences..?

Are you @BoneDog in disguise?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Real politicians don't cry on television for votes, their sex is irrelevant. 

Moreover, Matt didn't mention sex, you did. That's you projecting your own world view, not his. 

I wouldnt say this is a cry for votes. If he says nothing us canadians will be like wtf.

22 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are you @BoneDog in disguise?

lol

Not my theory, and yeah - it's pretty tinfoil hat, which is why I don't give it much credibility for the reasons above.

That being said, I have no doubt that there are folks who honestly want power that much.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

lol

Not my theory, and yeah - it's pretty tinfoil hat, which is why I don't give it much credibility for the reasons above.

That being said, I have no doubt that there are folks who honestly want power that much.

There is a lot of money to be made by those who control the food and water supply in the future. I have been buying up shares in companies related to water, as has Michael Burry ("The Big Short" guy). 

I've not seen Trump making these kinds of moves though. I think he is the kind of guy who has all the power in the world (quite literally at the moment) but still thinks small. I don't think he is the type to think beyond pushing his hotel and golf course brand. The deals his family are doing at the moment seem to be in that vein, e.g. the $500m loan from China for the Indonesia project (which then results in his support for ZTE...).

2 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

There is a lot of money to be made by those who control the food and water supply in the future. I have been buying up shares in companies related to water, as has Michael Burry ("The Big Short" guy). 

I've not seen Trump making these kinds of moves though. I think he is the kind of guy who has all the power in the world (quite literally at the moment) but still thinks small. I don't think he is the type to think beyond pushing his hotel and golf course brand. The deals his family are doing at the moment seem to be in that vein, e.g. the $500m loan from China for the Indonesia project (which then results in his support for ZTE...).

To quote Bronn, "the thieves (or investors in this case) love a siege (or another form of shortage crisis). Soon as the gates are sealed, they steal (or control the supply of) all the food. By the time it's all over, they're the richest men in town (or richer than they were, anyway)."

It's just good business sense tbh, and it's not like there haven't been examples on a smaller scale many times in the past.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Anyone staying up to watch this tonight? Coudl be anything.

I have a feeling we might look back on it through history, hopefully for good, but maybe for bad.

40 minutes ago, MattP said:

Anyone staying up to watch this tonight? Coudl be anything.

I have a feeling we might look back on it through history, hopefully for good, but maybe for bad.

I'm gonna keep an eye, also follow what my Korean buddies (both native and weiguk) are saying about it too.

Hopefully, good things will come of it - we'll see.

Yep, on the face of it - a good thing.

I'll keep my euphoria in check for the moment though. Let's see what follows.

Tbh though, I'm not quite so sure what the reasons to be euphoric are. I can see the South Koreans feel reassured (which is great of course) but is there any real reason to be that fearful of North Korea? More so say than any other nation with nukes. I'm not sure if we're not just witnessing 2 egos on parade, enjoying the spotlight but there's little substance to it. I dunno, as I say, let's see what comes of it. 

Cautious thumbs up.