Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

On 31/03/2017 at 08:05, RowlattsFox said:

Referring to 2-2 as Desmond on soccer Saturday is starting to bug me. 

I think every phrase related to football has appeared in this thread at some point. 

Annoys me too. It's not just "Desmond" it's Le Tissier mainly using Cockney rhyming slang constantly. He's from bloody Guernsey and spent his whole career in Southampton, and now he's talking like Ray Winstone or Danny Dyer lol 

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Gameplan

That one annoys me especially in a cup tie where a lower league side gets a result against a Premier League side. Watched Wolves beat Liverpool in the cup and all I heard about Wolves was basically "they had a game plan and stuck to it". That was the extend of the analysis of Wolves. It's lazy, unimaginative and slightly patronising.

Just now, Koke said:

That one annoys me especially in a cup tie where a lower league side gets a result against a Premier League side. Watched Wolves beat Liverpool in the cup and all I heard about Wolves was basically "they had a game plan and stuck to it". That was the extend of the analysis of Wolves. It's lazy, unimaginative and slightly patronising.

I know, it annoys me. Every team has a "gameplan" to get points from a game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Not so much a word or phrase, but it's something i've noticed a lot of media outlets (Particularly the Leicester Mercury) doing recently when reporting on transfer rumours - 

What's the obsession with looking at a players FIFA stats when discussing transfer targets? As if that has any bearing on wether the player is any good or not?

Take N'Golo Kante for example - FIFA 16 Rating: 77, FIFA 17 rating: 81, . The only difference being he moved to a bigger club.

It just seems like a completely pointless thing to report on.

Edited by TiffToff88

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Not so much a word or phrase, but it's something i've noticed a lot of media outlets (Particularly the Leicester Mercury) doing recently when reporting on transfer rumours - 

What's the obsession with looking at a players FIFA stats when discussing transfer targets? As if that has any bearing on wether the player is any good or not?

Take N'Golo Kante for example - FIFA 16 Rating: 77, FIFA 17 rating: 81, . The only difference being he moved to a bigger club.

It just seems like a completely pointless thing to report on.

To be fair, Kante is a bad example, seems to be improving all the time, but i think my point still stands. A player can just move to a bigger club and without kicking a ball, his FIFA rating would no doubt increase.

People who say a manager has "been given their p45" instead of just saying sacked.

Fair enough theyve been given one but some bright spark said this once and of course everyone has copied

On 29/03/2017 at 23:34, Blue ROI said:

The talk of a player being World Class is becoming a bit annoying.

Linked in a big way to Sky and their 'best league in the world' talk.

Hilarious how over-used it is. When they say "Arsenal is a team full of world class talent" when they clearly aren't. World class for me probably covers about 15 players in the world, not Mohamed Elneny and Gabriel Paulista.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Over use of the word 'football'.

"We just need to win as many football games as we can."

"This is a great football club."

"He's a top football player."

We know what the fvcking sport is. 

Don't listen to a Stuart Pearce interview then, you might explode.

• Haha 1

Playing football 'the right way', being a great footballing side or one for the purists.

If we are being pedantic about it and looking at the origins of football, being a great footballing team /purist's dream probably means 10 players running after a ball constantly rather than staying in position ala the Chumley Warner sketch.

On 3/21/2017 at 11:02, bovril said:

"This football club"

"Need to win some football games"

I know what fvcking sport I'm watching.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Over use of the word 'football'.

"We just need to win as many football games as we can."

"This is a great football club."

"He's a top football player."

We know what the fvcking sport is. 

Getting old....

• Haha 2