Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

Guest MattP

"To win tournaments you have to beat the best sides"

Complete bollocks and one of the worst clichés in football. Portugal won the Euros avoiding the big boys until the final, teams have always snuck through to the late stages because they avoid better teams.

If things go as expected, Spain now have a route to the final that will avoid Brazil, Germany, Argentina and France - the other top 4 with them in the betting market before it started.

On 18/06/2018 at 12:18, CarbonVirtine said:

It's bugged me for a while now....

"You've got your Messis, your Ronaldos, your Mahrezs......

Well, actually, no you haven't. There's only one of each. I'm not sure I even know what such a phrase is meant to mean.... 'you've got skilled players like Messi, Ronaldo and Mahrez'???

Extremely annoying.

"They'll want to avoid the Brazils and Spains of the tournament."

Basically you mean Brazil and Spain. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 16:29, MattP said:

"To win tournaments you have to beat the best sides"

Complete bollocks and one of the worst clichés in football. Portugal won the Euros avoiding the big boys until the final, teams have always snuck through to the late stages because they avoid better teams.

If things go as expected, Spain now have a route to the final that will avoid Brazil, Germany, Argentina and France - the other top 4 with them in the betting market before it started.

And which ****ing plonker cashed out his bet on Spain to win it two days before the tournament kicked off lol 

Probably said this earlier in the thread but when a manager is sacked, rather than just say he has been sacked, they say "he has been given his P45" to make it sound trendy.

Stop doing this.

Standard commentator behaviour:

Strong team vs Smaller Team: Patronise the shit out of the smaller team to the point you think theyre the dog & duck

Challenges in games between strong team vs smaller team: Smaller team are allowed to kick people and break the rules by giving the stronger team something they dont see every week. Strong team are criticised when committing the same offences.

When commentating on players with big reputations, resort to lazy half arsed cliches and comments.....Given away by Iniesta, THATS a collectors item...used every single game it feels like. He doesnt miss when he gets into those positions....he does, regularly. Or his shot conversion would be 100% etc

Rio Ferdinand: "Its illegal what hes doing on a football field".......kicking a ball is not illegal

Should do a thread for annoying things players do

Like make a clearly bad tackle and plead "its my first one, its my first one". Its fvkin irrelevant mate if youre 5 mins late for the ball and you've smacked someone.

Players who get into a dangerous area where a ball across the box is the ball, for a striker to tap in or defender running back to score an own goal. And inexplicably they fizz the ball at 90mph 5 foot above head height ensuring no one can get anywhere near it

Players who cannot keep a shot DOWN to save their life, as they constantly shoot 15 feet over the bar (Wilfred)

Goalkeepers who rush out, on an angle, to try and win the ball from a striker.....literally what the fvck are you doing? youre going to dive with your hands, the striker will take one touch to either knock it around you, OR most likely touch it away from you just enough that youll give him a free invitation to fall over for a penalty. And a free shot, from the middle of the goal, from 12 yards away. Whereas before you ran out, they were at an angle away from the goal and had less net to shoot at. IDIOTS.

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2018 at 12:18, CarbonVirtine said:

It's bugged me for a while now....

"You've got your Messis, your Ronaldos, your Mahrezs......

Well, actually, no you haven't. There's only one of each. I'm not sure I even know what such a phrase is meant to mean.... 'you've got skilled players like Messi, Ronaldo and Mahrez'???

You're right, there's only one Ronaldo:

ronaldo-009.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

'Double pivot' midfielders and 'inverted' wingers. 

Give me strength..

False 9. Sweeper keeper. 

My dad is in his 60s and even he is obsessed with 3-4-3, false 9 and double pivot when someone of his age should be banging the drum for old school football values. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

False 9. Sweeper keeper. 

My dad is in his 60s and even he is obsessed with 3-4-3, false 9 and double pivot when someone of his age should be banging the drum for old school football values. 

Why should he? It's nice to see someone actually embracing current times. 

• 3 weeks later...

"In all the discussion about x, we aren't giving y the attention or credit they deserve". Plenty of that this morning regarding Mourinho and Derby. Well, why don't you talk about Derby then? Don't focus on Mourinho until later?

Just be honest- you don't give a toss about Derby or any other smaller club. It's all about the big club or manager.

• 1 month later...

The phrase 'Take nothing away from (team's surprising win against a big team)' is annoying as fvck and is the footballing equivalent of 'With all due respect' .

Hate it when people say it as it usually either comes before or after a pundit takes the victory away from the underdog by spending 20 minutes undermining their win by stating how poor the bigger team were rather than how well the smaller team played.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Taking a club to the 'Next Level'.

Notice it being said about Brendan Rogers managing us now.Taking us to a new level.

Overlooking the fact of 2 promotions,2 title wins, Premier League status, breaking the top 6,winning the Premier League, and making the Champions League quarter finals. Already going to the next level 3 or 4 times in the last decade.