Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NeilLCFC

Our Scouting Team

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This is the guy who apparently got NG over here and signed without his agent knowing where he was !  You expect rudders to be in and out before him! 

And he wont come back because we already have a DOF who isn't going anywhere 

Who mentioned DOF ??  ...     Call him what you like but pay him more ...   Director of ...    Whatever ...    Top Scouty Person ...    Who cares ...    Maybe he didn't want to leave.   Look for solutions not problems ...    Like I said maybe just somewhere to start .

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Maybe Walsh just wanted to be a director of football at an established premier league team? It's a clear step up from scouting and being an assistant manager. Not everything is Ranieri's fault.

And at his age, being close to his home means a lot. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And at his age, being close to his home means a lot. 

Agree with this so rule out any chance of him coming back, but I don't believe he would have signed a new contract with us, only to leave a few weeks later cos he had a chance to be closer to home.

2 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

Agree with this so rule out any chance of him coming back, but I don't believe he would have signed a new contract with us, only to leave a few weeks later cos he had a chance to be closer to home.

He signed a new contract because he was offered a nice big one! Pearson was looking for a new club and we wanted to ensure him and shakey didn't leave. at the time he signed his contract, Everton weren't sniffing around him. Besides, we did well out of him signing that contract because Everton had to pay us compensation. the Everton job was perfect for him - a less tempting offer (both locale and job description) wouldn't have been so. 

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have an interesting anecdote from an acquaintance of mine who used to scout for Arsenal, covering the North and Central America region for them. Every year there are conferences between clubs and countries where scouts, coaches, physio's, etc share knowledge with one another. Leicester used to have a superb one, although very few people attended. That was of course until December 2015 when LCFC were on the run of a lifetime. This time round for the LCFC scouting presentation, the room was packed with many standing! As a result of the presentation, Ben Wrigglesworth ended up joining Arsenal, as the content was so good! It was a look into how LCFC use statistics both from their own games and from scout reports to identify players they want / need. They highlighted how the team were not winning as many aerial duels as teams around them in the league, which led to Robert Huth signing for us, and how Albrighton had a huge "chances created per game" stat despite barely playing for a struggling team which they felt was missing during the Great Escape. And of course they highlighted how despite Kante appearing not to suited for the league physically, his stats were so ridiculous they believed the data.

Most clubs these days also use a system called Wyscout:
https://wyscout.com/#tour

You can actually sign up to this for free for 15 days! It's pretty amazing actually, although you wouldn't have access to the club's account which will likely have lots of notes on various players. It has videos and stats for players from literally around the world. It's like Football Manager but on crack.

Anyway back on topic, though we've made some poor signings this year, since Macia has come in we have signed only two players - Ndidi and Wague. Wague we have no idea about really, but Ndidi is yet another LCFC masterclass! We might have paid 18m for him, but we'll sell him for minimum twice that. So signs are still IMO promising. Also despite a lot of our signings not working out, we made offers for both Ousmane Dembele (now at Dortmund) and Michael Keane during the summer and both players have emerged to be full internationals this year. So although we may not have got them, it again shows that the team at the club know what they are doing.

The big test will be this summer of course. I'd like to think that now we appear to be in a prettier situation than earlier in the year we can focus on getting quality signings instead of working out which Championship players we need to get back into the top division! A long Champions League run wouldn't hurt us in this department either!

It begs the question why on earth would we hold a conference to tell our competitors about our "golden goose"?

Dembele and Keane would have been Walsh signings, not Macia signings. 

28 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just see who Walsh is after then nip in, buy him, and be on our toes before he knows what day it is.  Simples ....    :thumbup:

For central defenders identify the best in the prem and the championship that fit our style and get some serious offers in ....

And whilst all this is going on carefully rebuild our scouting network ...      Would Walshy come back ??     Good place to start ....

One problem, Rudkin, the bloke who draws out deals longer than well I don't know what.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It begs the question why on earth would we hold a conference to tell our competitors about our "golden goose"?

Dembele and Keane would have been Walsh signings, not Macia signings. 

It's not so much telling them which players we are going for but more the thought process behind it. 

It may seem counterintuitive to give a presentation on it but I imagine that our team are so good because they have gone to other conferences to learn what they know. If everyone shares knowledge, then everyone gets better. On top of this, ultimately it's how you apply that knowledge that makes the difference. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

One problem, Rudkin, the bloke who draws out deals longer than well I don't know what.

Yes Matt my tongue was well and truly in my cheek with that comment ...    however, with regard to the man himself I know he is very unlikely to return but who knows what is going on in his head now ...    maybe, just maybe he isn't actually enjoying his new job ...   and all I'm suggesting, everybody, is if you don't ask you don't get.    A simple  "What would we have to do to get you back Steve ?"  is all it takes ...   If he says I'm not coming back then move on, but just consider every option first, starting with your main target. 

We've been a great example how clubs can go down the pan this season.

We've spent big money on four players that should be automatic choices for the money we spent. £74m on these four and only Ndidi improves us. Slimani is just a terrible fit for us and Musa and Mendy aren't even certs for the bench let alone the first XI.

Slimani £30m

Musa £17m

Mendy £12m

Ndidi £15m

We've spent a good £80m this season and only Ndidi gets in the first team and we're relying on last year's team. A club like ours can't have too many windows like this before getting relegated.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I thought wague had been highlighted by our scouts a few seasons ago ?.

we had lost some of the team before Walsh left. I heard on the grapevine that he wasn't happy how easily these guys were allowed to leave and no doubt this contributed to his decision to relocate closer to his home. 

the subject of employee retention is an interesting one. Clearly we can see that the owners are savvy enough to realise that players are not simply tradeable assets where you can sell one and buy a straight replacement. Further down the chain this may not be the case - in south East Asia, there is a high t/o of staff and it's just accepted that people leave and someone else comes in to do their job. one wonders if they appreciated how important the group that Walsh had built up were as individuals and were comfortable in allowing some to leave without paying what seemed to them, to be an excessive salary. 

Southampton are one of a number of clubs who might disagree with that.

35 minutes ago, Gerard said:

We've spent big money on four players that should be automatic choices for the money we spent. £74m on these four and only Ndidi improves us. Slimani is just a terrible fit for us and Musa and Mendy aren't even certs for the bench let alone the first XI.

Slimani £30m

Musa £17m

Mendy £12m

Ndidi £15m

We've spent a good £80m this season and only Ndidi gets in the first team and we're relying on last year's team. A club like ours can't have too many windows like this before getting relegated.

Just playing devil's advocate with those 3 signings.

These are total starts in the league:

Slimani = 11 starts

Musa = 7 starts

Mendy = 4 starts

I think total appearances can be misleading as many of them are only 10-15 minute cameos from the bench and often simply a time wasting exercise.

Just interesting to see how quickly many of us (myself included) are ready to write off a player, especially when they come with a higher price tag than we are used to, due to no fault of their own and simply down to the crazy market we now find ourselves in. 

I'm not saying these 3 are all top players and we just don't know it yet. I just think we are all maybe a little quick to judge and their price tags only compound that. 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

These are total starts in ALL competitions:

Slimani = 11 starts

Musa = 7 starts

Mendy = 4 starts

I think total appearances can be misleading as many of them are only 10-15 minute cameos from the bench and often simply a time wasting exercise.

Just interesting to see how quickly many of us (myself included) are ready to write off a player, especially when they come with a higher price tag than we are used to, due to no fault of their own and simply down to the crazy market we now find ourselves in. 

I'm not saying these 3 are all top players and we just don't know it yet. I just think we are all maybe a little quick to judge and their price tags only compound that. 

I think top players usually come in and make their quality known straight the way, not in every case obviously but it's a pretty good barometer.

Kante came here and was sub for a couple of games and played out of position but soon established himself and Ndidi has done the same. it's now getting on for a year and we can't say the same about the rest of them. I can forgive Slimani to a point as he has done okay and we haven't played to his strengths. Musa and Mendy have looked ordinary even at their peaks.

49 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Slimani £30m

Musa £17m

Mendy £12m

Ndidi £15m

Slimani, Musa and Mendy would have been signed on the recommendation of Walsh and his team, but unlikely that Walsh had anything to do with the Ndidi signing, that was more likely to have been a Macia recommendation.

20 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think top players usually come in and make their quality known straight the way, not in every case obviously but it's a pretty good barometer.

Kante came here and was sub for a couple of games and played out of position but soon established himself and Ndidi has done the same. it's now getting on for a year and we can't say the same about the rest of them. I can forgive Slimani to a point as he has done okay and we haven't played to his strengths. Musa and Mendy have looked ordinary even at their peaks.

Definitely agree on N'didi. He has come in and had an instant impact. Agree on Slimani too, and I just wish he hadn't cost £30 million or China hadn't come in for him in January, as I think fans would have more patience with him. Also, add the niggling injuries and being away with AFCON, and it's not been a smooth start to his Leicester career. He has still managed to bag 6 goals in 16 appearances though, some of which were game winners.

Mendy with his early injury and lack of playing time since, is still a hard one to judge. He came with great stats and captain at only 24 of a Ligue 1 team. I think he has an uphill battle now and I can't see him getting any real game time from now until the summer. 4 starts in the League is just not enough to give him a fair assessment though.

Musa has had more opportunities to show us all something, and although there has been glimpses, the basics seem to be lacking and his pace alone doesn't seem enough to counteract that. I was surprised when Shakespeare used him from the bench against West Ham though, so perhaps he is showing more of his qualities in training and he still could prove a decent signing, once we figure out how to best use him.

I would guess that all 3 could be moved on in the summer though. Mendy and Musa because they will have little chance to prove themselves from now until the summer and we may well cut our losses, without ever truly knowing if they could cut it at this level. With Mahrez set to leave and another offer from China possible, then I expect Slimani may go too. Shame, as all 3 on paper looked impressive signings, but there are a number of reasons all 3 have not quite worked out but I think it would be disingenuous by anyone to state that any of them truly got a fair crack at it here.  

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

A lot of the brilliant scouting network Walsh built has now been ripped up, we rely heavily on agents to sign players and this is the challenge.

Wague is an example of us signing a player because of an agents recomendation 

If that's true we'll be down in the next few years. Completely the opposite direction to the model we had that was so successful.

Im really not worried.

Ranieri's supposedly "rubbish" scouting system brought us still quality like Gray, Ndidi, Amartey is getting better and courting interest from Juventus if you believe the media, Slimani when injury free and gets a run of games im sure will do well, hes undoubtedly a quality player.

Also some criticism of the signings isnt fair, we know the club was looking at Musa for a long time before he signed and the much maligned Kante wouldnt have signed argument is a bit irrelevant as collectively, the scouting team agreed and he did sign.

I dont know why people would say out scouting system has been "ripped up" frankly, and if anything it was Walsh's decision to leave the club its not something to level at Ranieri

We lost Ben Wrigglesworth and Rob McKenzie (now at Derby) to Arsenal and Spurs, they'd both been here for a long while so I'd imagine our recruitment process was damaged when they left.

5 hours ago, STUHILL said:

These are total starts in the league:

Slimani = 11 starts

Musa = 7 starts

Mendy = 4 starts

I do think that anyone writing off Mendy is extremely harsh. Even Musa and Slimani could come good, given more time and a more stable team.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I just cringe when we break out transfer record, they're almost destined to fail!

Since Akinbiyi whenever we've broke our transfer record has anyone turned out good?

Of the top of my head I can't think of anyone.

Matt Mills, Jermaine Beckford, Andrej Kramaric, Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy, Islam Slimani.

I've got one! Ulloa, he's been alright for us, crucial at times!

Have I overlooked any other record signings that have turned out well for us?

You're right.  It does seem that record signing equals guaranteed failure.  I wouldn't even say that Ulloa ever set the world on fire.

Going back even to the late sixties we had a record signing that was even a British record signing - Allan Clarke - and he was pants for us too.

I can think of two record signings that have worked out.  400k for Iwan and 1.25mn for Draper.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

You're right.  It does seem that record signing equals guaranteed failure.  I wouldn't even say that Ulloa ever set the world on fire.

Going back even to the late sixties we had a record signing that was even a British record signing - Allan Clarke - and he was pants for us too.

I can think of two record signings that have worked out.  400k for Iwan and 1.25mn for Draper.

Ulloa's not set the world on fire but he's been worth his money i'd say, he's been steady, decent, brilliant even in comparison to the others.

Matt Elliott was a record signing was he? He was decent.

Eadie was a record signing and decent aswell, just an unfortunate injury.

Elliott and Eadie were both pre Akinibiyi though.

Archived