Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Of course you don't, because it's absolutely impossible that the masses of experts from every field could possibly know better than you...

They've not had a great track record since June.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Why should a British testing regime be inferior to an EU 1? Why would our govt want dangerous drugs on the market. 

A big pharma company like Glaxo and its lobbying power would be a worry for me in relation to a single nation government. 

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

A big pharma company like Glaxo and its lobbying power would be a worry for me in relation to a single nation government. 

But apparently they'll all planning to leave because Michael Gove is going to force the govt to change the regulations to make life easier for them?

It doesn't pay any drug company to introduce dangerous drugs. They can and have been sued for hundreds of millions of pounds. Obviously mistakes are made but they're not going to be reckless.

23 minutes ago, Webbo said:

But apparently they'll all planning to leave because Michael Gove is going to force the govt to change the regulations to make life easier for them?

It doesn't pay any drug company to introduce dangerous drugs. They can and have been sued for hundreds of millions of pounds. Obviously mistakes are made but they're not going to be reckless.

The pharma industry massively benefits from harmonisation from the EU. Losing that position in the EMA can really put a spanner in the work for them, and the government changing regulations WON'T make things easier for them. As I have already said, to market in the EU they need to fulfill the EU requirements; so changing the regulations is bureaucratic waste at best, in practice companies like GSK and PwC will end up looking at how to remain with the EMA, which potentially means moving bases to the EU. 

From what i know, noone really knows shit, i was speaking to a mate of mine heavily involved in environmental research projects at brum university, he reckoned, colab between EU am UK would still remain and funding maybe joint projects between UK and EU sources

Alright. So you lot know a lot more of the ind and outs of politics than me. Im alright with that. I vote on a few issues that sway my opinions.

Can someone give an answer to why brexit will be good without

1) trotting out some shit about taking the country back with bulldog spirit and patriotism (dont misquote me to say in not patriotic)

2) resorting to an answer that is borderline or just flat out racially ignorant

3) posting a post that reveals absolutely nothing other than sore losers, or talking about peoples opinions than the subject.

I aint a sore loser. I want to know why you voted leave and in english. Fvck your lisbon treaties off and pointless terminology that adds nothing to the discussion.

I dont even get the "brexit means brexit" line you hear all the time. What the fvck is it then? What are you gonna do with immigration policy? What are you gonna do with manufacturing and imports and exports? What are you going to do with the NHS....

Shouldnt all this have been pretty much planned for already??? 

The EU is a declining bloc which makes up only 15% of the world economy.

in the EU we are not able to negotiate trade deals with other nations, all EU states must agree which means we are blocked by interests which are not ours.

The EU is heading towards more political union, control over taxation etc, which we never voted for, because without it the EURO will fail and with it the whole project.

the EU is broken and won't reform.  Personally I think it time is over and it won't exist in a decade or so.

Think global not just Europe.

12 hours ago, Buce said:

EU rules out early trade talks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39453338

Looks like Gibraltar might be a spanner in the works:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39453535

And what will happen is we'll eventually stump up 50 billion and we'll continue trading with the EU. We'll carry on buying fruit from spain, wine and cheese from france, bmw's and merc's from germany, cookoo clocks and knives that can take your car to bits from switzerland, chocolate from belgium and they'll buy...... pork pies from melton, which they don't like anyway. Seems a bit of a one way trade passage to me. 40% of what Belgium produces gets sold in this country, and they want us to give them 50 billion so they can continue flogging their stuff here. Here's a good idea, forget the divorce bill and we'll carry on buying your stuff or you can try and flog it elsewhere and we'll buy chinese chocolate.  

9 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

From what i know, noone really knows shit, i was speaking to a mate of mine heavily involved in environmental research projects at brum university, he reckoned, colab between EU am UK would still remain and funding maybe joint projects between UK and EU sources

Bet he's glad he doesn't live in Trumpland.

12 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He's been fairly clear on scrapping them.

Alf already explained the problem to you - a government prepared to make massive changes to our statues without any parliamentary scrutiny, which can easily be swayed by back-bench extremists. Gove may not be the minister for health, but you've got to be kidding yourself if you think he's just one nutter without a say.

If a person has an opinion which is diametrically opposed to your own wouldn't you naturally tend to count that as extreme?

The truth is there are two sides here leave and remain and never the twain shall meet. 

16 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

If a person has an opinion which is diametrically opposed to your own wouldn't you naturally tend to count that as extreme?

The truth is there are two sides here leave and remain and never the twain shall meet. 

If that were the case I'd be referring to every Tory MP as an extremist. That's not the case though, I'm referring to extremists in the party; just as Corbyn and the momentum wing of labour are extremists in the labour party. The concept of dividing parties into moderates and extremists isn't a new phenomenon, and trying to skip the issue being discussed by pretending they're only viewed as extremists by the nature of disagreeing with people is in very bad faith.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

If that were the case I'd be referring to every Tory MP as an extremist. That's not the case though, I'm referring to extremists in the party; just as Corbyn and the momentum wing of labour are extremists in the labour party. The concept of dividing parties into moderates and extremists isn't a new phenomenon, and trying to skip the issue being discussed by pretending they're only viewed as extremists by the nature of disagreeing with people is in very bad faith.

I haven't read all the threads on this particular post it was a generalisation which incidentally I will still stick to, but can you therefore explain what do you consider 'extreme' ? is it not someone as I have said who you vehemently disagree with, most political views/actions will be considered extreme by some and acceptable by others.

13 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I haven't read all the threads on this particular post it was a generalisation which incidentally I will still stick to, but can you therefore explain what do you consider 'extreme' ? is it not someone as I have said who you vehemently disagree with, most political views/actions will be considered extreme by some and acceptable by others.

No, in this context it isn't - as I said in the post you quoted... The extremists in the case of the tory party will be the ones who sit on the far right of the party and court the same sort of opinions as the average kipper.

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

No, in this context it isn't - as I said in the post you quoted... The extremists in the case of the tory party will be the ones who sit on the far right of the party and court the same sort of opinions as the average kipper.

Ha Ha and that's not an extreme analogy?

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Smoke me a kipper! i'll be back for Brexit! lol 

Here's an outstanding article on why post-Brexit UK COULD be an economic success if the UK makes the right decisions: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/31/the-uk-should-not-let-this-brexit-crisis-go-to-waste-neither-should-the-eu

It's by Larry Elliott, Guardian Economics Editor, who is pro-Brexit from a left-wing perspective, so right up @Sharpe's Fox's street

It was his articles that almost had me in the Leave camp. My problem is that his pro-Brexit argument requires a Government that will promote investment and innovation to remedy the structural weaknesses of the UK economy.

I can't see any such govt on the horizon. I reckon with the Tories we're more likely to get more of the same: low tax, low pay, low investment, low productivity, high debt, high consumption (apart from finance & a few other sectors).

His criticisms of the EU are spot on, though.

This is a great quote (though I'm not sure it's 100% true): "Trade does not lead to innovation and investment; rather innovation and investment lead to trade".

Should be on an exam paper, followed by "Discuss", that one!

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Here's an outstanding article on why post-Brexit UK COULD be an economic success if the UK makes the right decisions: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/31/the-uk-should-not-let-this-brexit-crisis-go-to-waste-neither-should-the-eu

It's by Larry Elliott, Guardian Economics Editor, who is pro-Brexit from a left-wing perspective, so right up @Sharpe's Fox's street

It was his articles that almost had me in the Leave camp. My problem is that his pro-Brexit argument requires a Government that will promote investment and innovation to remedy the structural weaknesses of the UK economy.

I can't see any such govt on the horizon. I reckon with the Tories we're more likely to get more of the same: low tax, low pay, low investment, low productivity, high debt, high consumption (apart from finance & a few other sectors).

This is a great quote (though I'm not sure it's 100% true): "Trade does not lead to innovation and investment; rather innovation and investment lead to trade".

Interesting read indeed. Cheers for that one Alf. 

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

What was your opinion of the UK joining the single currency when it was introduced Alf?

49 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That stance assumes that the govt can pick winners and knows where to invest our money. The truth is that  not only will the govt  pick the wrong horse but in doing so it'll hold back the real potential winner. The best way to promote new industries and technologies is the make it as easy as you can for everyone and get out of the way.

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Bet he's glad he doesn't live in Trumpland.

You're not kidding.

However there are still opportunities for environmental science over here as not everyone is completely devoid of sense and there's a fair amount of pushback.

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That stance assumes that the govt can pick winners and knows where to invest our money. The truth is that  not only will the govt  pick the wrong horse but in doing so it'll hold back the real potential winner. The best way to promote new industries and technologies is the make it as easy as you can for everyone and get out of the way.

This assumption is itself built on another assumption that economic and material growth is the sole arbiter of success when it comes to any either governmental or private business behaviour.

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.)

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

You're not kidding.

However there are still opportunities for environmental science over here as not everyone is completely devoid of sense and there's a fair amount of pushback.

This assumption is itself built on another assumption that economic and material growth is the sole arbiter of success when it comes to any either governmental or private business behaviour.

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.)

It's the only arbiter that counts.

Archived