Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

lol poor old west ham. Another London  club that can feck off.

It seems to be a running theme that if you support a club inside the M25, you're more likely than not a total bellend with a few exceptions.

East End and to a certain extent South London fans are more stabby coin-throwing cockney melt than entitled two-faced football snob melt, however. North London collectively claims that accolade.

Edited by bluesbrothers

It amazes me nobody wants to address the fact that no matter where Kane gets the ball on the pitch he refuses to pass it. Regardless of wether or not he could put someone through one on one or give them a tap in. 

However his one attempt at passing the ball today was worse than I'd expect in Sunday league or 5 a side and I've seen some dreadful attempts! 

47 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It amazes me nobody wants to address the fact that no matter where Kane gets the ball on the pitch he refuses to pass it. Regardless of wether or not he could put someone through one on one or give them a tap in. 

However his one attempt at passing the ball today was worse than I'd expect in Sunday league or 5 a side and I've seen some dreadful attempts! 

I've mentioned it numerous time over the past couple of seasons. It's a massive failing in his game and for as much success as his goals bring the team, his selfishness holds them back.

In our title winning season I remember when we beat palace 1-0, Vardy got the ball on the left of goal about 6 yards out at tight angle, and chose to play across to Mahrez who scored. Around that time Spurs played Liverpool and Kane in a similar position tried to score. That was one of the difference between the two teams that year. For the couple of goals he scored more than Vardy how many chances to assist did he pass up? I think he's only got 2 or 3 assists over the past couple of seasons. Really poor for an attacking player in a good side.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

Huddersfield couldn't have had a much easier opening two fixtures... Palace and Newcastle look absolutely dire! 

Agree with this. Think they've done very well regardless but not getting carried away with them. Having watched both our game and theirs this weekend I'm a lot more confident for the game against them in a few weeks than I was.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Koke said:

Will he ever learn?

On the weekend old Brucie died, Pochettino needs to listen to one of his catchphrases, "Points win Prizes". Spurs are going nowhere with that attitude. What's made the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson serial winners is the fact they are prepared to win ugly when need be, and when they can they'll play the pretty football. Pochettino has his way and no other. Beating a few smaller teams by cricket scores won't make up for the points dropped when the better teams play ugly and stop them playing.

57 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I've mentioned it numerous time over the past couple of seasons. It's a massive failing in his game and for as much success as his goals bring the team, his selfishness holds them back.

In our title winning season I remember when we beat palace 1-0, Vardy got the ball on the left of goal about 6 yards out at tight angle, and chose to play across to Mahrez who scored. Around that time Spurs played Liverpool and Kane in a similar position tried to score. That was one of the difference between the two teams that year. For the couple of goals he scored more than Vardy how many chances to assist did he pass up? I think he's only got 2 or 3 assists over the past couple of seasons. Really poor for an attacking player in a good side.

I'm glad it's not just me. Every time I bring it up to some spurs supporting mates they instantly shout about how I'm talking rubbish and how I don't watch them every week... 

I suppose though that they would do anything to avoid him looking anything less than the worlds greatest player. I've notice alli getting very frustrated with it too. There is a rift forming there. 

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm glad it's not just me. Every time I bring it up to some spurs supporting mates they instantly shout about how I'm talking rubbish and how I don't watch them every week... 

I suppose though that they would do anything to avoid him looking anything less than the worlds greatest player. I've notice alli getting very frustrated with it too. There is a rift forming there. 

I forgot to mention we beat Palace, they drew with Liverpool, two points dropped.

I'm all for strikers having a selfish streak but he takes it too far, he's always selfish. A good striker also has to be aware of they're surroundings and notice players in better positions. I'm hoping there is a rift, and if Alli has said it's annoying him, it's clearly not getting through to Kane.

I think some spurs fans see that he's scored some great goals from range or tight angles and think that means he should carry on shooting on sight, but in reality how often do those shots go in. He scored a great goal against arsenal from the corner of the box, but how often does he put those shots in the stand.

2 minutes ago, Riot Van said:

How have you worked that one out?

We saw how much they struggled at Wembley last season in the European competitions and we know they won't win as many home games as they did at the Lane.

They might actually do better away from home this season but I still think they won't make top 4.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Worth mentioning the Swansea game away too in the same season.

Vardy was on course to score 12 games in a row that day and had a chance to score but laid it off to Mahrez. The record was over but it was the best thing for the squad.

A grain of rice will tip the scale....

Today shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, it was always going to be difficult. Even if Spurs had managed to get a draw it wouldn't hide the fact that this is going to be an incredibly tough year for them. Wembley is a leveller, and it will really take its toll as the season progresses. Their 'home' ace card has gone.

Add to this the strain of two 'nearly' years, and now the start of a trickle, leading to a potential stream of departures - as their restrictive wages structure begins to collapse. Alderweireld and Rose have already raised the alert - and I have absolutely no doubt Kane will be elsewhere within 12 months. To paraphrase Danny Murphy, he's too good for them.

A 'respectable' 7th place finish imho.

Edited by Sublime_Coatsworth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'll be amazed if they finish outside the top six, they're a good side, they just won't win anything (again) because their attitude hasn't changed.

Today's game summed up both Spurs and Chelsea for me.

All depends on Wembley.

I was amazed to hear Alderweireld a couple of weeks ago saying something along the lines of "Our away form will be the same, depends on our home form"

Their away form cost them the league!

They were almost faultless at White Hart Lane.

Really enjoy watching Spurs play, they'll do well again this year. Considering the players Chelsea are missing that was a tidy result for them. 2 shots on target, both from their left wing back and they've somehow come away with 3 points, though Morata should have buried his chance

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I forgot to mention we beat Palace, they drew with Liverpool, two points dropped.

I'm all for strikers having a selfish streak but he takes it too far, he's always selfish. A good striker also has to be aware of they're surroundings and notice players in better positions. I'm hoping there is a rift, and if Alli has said it's annoying him, it's clearly not getting through to Kane.

I think some spurs fans see that he's scored some great goals from range or tight angles and think that means he should carry on shooting on sight, but in reality how often do those shots go in. He scored a great goal against arsenal from the corner of the box, but how often does he put those shots in the stand.

I agree. He's a great finisher but for me atleast, that's all. He isn't a great 'footballer' so to speak. If he was my player I'd want him in the box and not to be too worried about anything else. Because he doesn't pass and if he can't bulldoze his way through he's lost because his dribbling is pretty poor too. 

I think ink this is part of his problem with England. Too much focus on Harry Kane the amazing footballer when he's just not. He's fantastic goal scorer, can hold the ball up aswell, but that's it. 

59 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I agree. He's a great finisher but for me atleast, that's all. He isn't a great 'footballer' so to speak. If he was my player I'd want him in the box and not to be too worried about anything else. Because he doesn't pass and if he can't bulldoze his way through he's lost because his dribbling is pretty poor too. 

I think ink this is part of his problem with England. Too much focus on Harry Kane the amazing footballer when he's just not. He's fantastic goal scorer, can hold the ball up aswell, but that's it. 

Like sturridge - sos (shoot on sight) 

dele must get really peed off about it when results don't go for them. 

14 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

The Fighting Cock forum is currently worth a browse.

It's always brilliant -gotta love the "he's not good enough to play for Spurs" comments and they were going mad about the drum beat amplified which they say makes them look tin pot and had CFC taking the p..s :D