Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Top 4 next season - is it Realistic?

Our form since appointing Shakespeare has us third in the league. Aiming for the top four is possible, if not probable. As so many have said, if we keep our best players, make 2-3 astute signings and play for the whole season this time, why not!?

I won't be gutted if we don't make it, but it's not a pipe dream to suggest we could make it.

If we had averaged similar results in the first 25 PL games of this season to those we have had in the past 11, we would now have around 77 points and be virtually guaranteed a top four finish. I know it's only stats and there's no guarantee that things would have been any different. However, if you look at our results from early November to the end of February when Ranieri was sacked, we lost to some p!ss-poor teams, and I doubt that would happen now.

I think that if we can keep Schmeichel, Mahrez and Vardy, buy in two or three other good players, and give Shakespeare the manager's job on a decent contract, there's no reason why we can't compete for Europe next season.

OK, that's us in a relegation dogfight then.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Prefer this kind of talk from Shakespeare than the 40 points mantra from Ranieri. 

I cannot forget him dubbing the Premier League champions as underdogs against Millwall. It's statements like that where you know there just isn't a prayer it's getting turned around.

He turned so, so negative.

Guest MattP

We could finish top ten this season and we didn't turn up for 6 months.

If we can keep this squad and with no European football we could certainly breach the top six.

Don't really like the idea of targeting where we want to finish in the table. Our only aim should be to try and win every game. Keeps everyone focused on their own game rather than worrying about what other teams are doing.

Yeah, Liverpool and Man City are going to finish in the top 4 and they've not been great. If we sort out our away form then it's likely but we're on course for a Europa league spot at the moment.

It's a massive ask if I'm honest,

I know we won the bloody thing 12 months ago but seeing all the sides above us just for 4 places is tough

I actually think this season the Prem is at an appalling standard and top 4 could have been very close had we not had the most horrific middle third. Everyone at the top will strengthen big time in the summer whereas we'll potentially lose some key players

I'll always believe we have a chance after last season but realistic I say no 

We were 15 points ahead of 5th last season.

Depending on transfers, we could have a better squad than last season.

The players will want to play in the CL again.

We won't have the CL to distract us from the league.

My only worry is the manager. Is Shakey good enough? Is any other manager we can bring in good enough?

We shoukd be 6th or 7th minimum. .... yet if we push hard we coukd do top 4 or 5..... in a dream we can be top.

I depends on the boldness we show in the summer....   beef up midfield. .. eg. Dacoure from watfird anybody?

Sort out two cbs

Find soneone who can score for fun.... anoutovic?  Rondon?

Absolutely. We won the league by 10 points 12 months ago. The title is unrealistic, top 4 is not. We're more consistent than most of the other teams. It'll be a tough slog and I think 6th would be good but this has to be the aim.

The whole 40 point thing this year was a complete joke. Stupid mentality. Talk of defending the title yet the message was also 40 points?! No wonder we struggled

The King power group wasnt built by people who were not ambitious and were happy to settle for a few quid in their back pocket.

we have GOT to be ambitious. Its a MUST. 

Otherwise, what's the point?

Our new motto should be : "gaudete perfecti virtus praeparabo"

( Aim for perfection, settle for excellence).

33 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We shoukd be 6th or 7th minimum. .... yet if we push hard we coukd do top 4 or 5..... in a dream we can be top.

I depends on the boldness we show in the summer....   beef up midfield. .. eg. Dacoure from watfird anybody?

Sort out two cbs

Find soneone who can score for fun.... anoutovic?  Rondon?

I like him but 'scoring for fun' ???

the top seven will strengthen big time. TBH, this season was more of a free hit to make top four again with pep and Jose getting their feet under the table.   I can see next year being really difficult to break in and unless we are able to bring three or four 30m + proven quality players in, then we can forget it. 

Archived