Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Top 4 next season - is it Realistic?

We need to be at least where Everton are now at this point next season.  This is definitely doable.  I'm not sure pushing further into the top 6 is achievable unless a complete overhaul of our away displays tactically become massively improved.

We also require key players to remain and to add at least another 4 that can hit the ground running. 

Difficult ask imo.

I think a few folk need a dose of realism. 

The top 6 are an exclusive club. The likes of Everton have been trying to break into that club for years, with the odd success. Of course it is possible to break into that club, as we have proven, but it is only ever temporary, as has constantly been proven.  

We did incredibly well to do what we did, and anything is possible, but in reality we would be better off aiming for the europa league, which I think is definitely achievable with the right investment. 

If the owners genuinely want routine champions league football, we would require serious cash investment. Our owners are great, but they're not stupid. They're business people who treat the club as such rather than a toy (I'm thinking Chelsea/Man City etc), and that's not a bad thing. 

Top 8 and a real good at the FA cup would suit me down to the ground. Would love to be back playing European football but I'm not expectingit instantly. Let's give Shakey the job, do some good business in the transfer window and see what we can do

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Top 8 and a real good at the FA cup would suit me down to the ground. Would love to be back playing European football but I'm not expectingit instantly. Let's give Shakey the job, do some good business in the transfer window and see what we can do

We can do top 8 this year Fox and we gave em all a 5 month head start :-)

2 minutes ago, mad biker said:

We can do top 8 this year Fox and we gave em all a 5 month head start :-)

That's true. Maybe we can do it the opposite way next season though so I don't have a heart attack at the prospect of us going down lol

I think us breaking into the top 6 will be a lot to do with teams like Everton and Southampton. Everton fans are expecting huge changes this summer so it will be interesting to see how that goes and Southampton always seem to do well

Spurs will struggle next year because of Wembley.

Klopp loves European competitions so I think Liverpool could struggle in the league.

Koeman is overrated & they'll lose Lukaku.

Arsenal are impossible to predict, but if they lose Sanchez/Ozil then they're fuched.

Only Chelsea, Man Utd & Man City are guaranteed to improve imo.

So yes top four is achievable, depending on how we strengthen in the summer of course.

Unless we lose more than one key player, I think we'll end up next season around 5th-8th. Maybe with a bit if luck we could mount at least a challenge to the CL position. I think we'll also have a decent cup run so a Europa slot is definitely achievable.

Sticking my neck out I could see us finishing above Spurs next season: playing 'away' for every game will kill them.

it is going to be extremely difficult to get near the top four next season and foxes fans need to realize this, yes we all hope we can compete for the top four but make no mistakes it will be difficult, it all depends on whether we can keep the star players and what our recruitment in the summer will be like. we need a couple of seasons of stability before we can start to even think about the top four. we should be aiming for at least a top ten place and would like a whole season where we are not flirting with relegation.

If our lads can continue or improve on the form since Shakey took over, then top 4 is a possibility, top 6 is very possible. Look at the game against Man. City. We should have taken 3 points from that game & had we had a different referee. we most likely would have won 2 - 1  We were easily the better team in the 2nd half. 

Two crap decisions by the ref cost us the game. 

3 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Spurs will struggle next year because of Wembley.

Klopp loves European competitions so I think Liverpool could struggle in the league.

Koeman is overrated & they'll lose Lukaku.

Arsenal are impossible to predict, but if they lose Sanchez/Ozil then they're fuched.

Only Chelsea, Man Utd & Man City are guaranteed to improve imo.

So yes top four is achievable, depending on how we strengthen in the summer of course.

Not necessarily. I could see Chelsea lose Kante and/or Costa in the summer. I'm not saying they wouldn't spend the money to replace them, but it's going to be tough for them to be as solid as they were this year in the league, especially given that they'll be focusing on the champions league as well. It also seems like they didn't have to deal with many major injuries and they got away with playing the same starting XI all year (like we did last year). 

Looking at how everyone outside of the top 2 has played this season and if we could maintain our best form it would be possible.

We've got to get this summer absolutely spot in in terms of retaining and recruiting players though. No room for anymore Musa's at £15 million.

As I see it, there's a 'Top 3' of Chelsea, Man City and Spurs, followed by a second tier of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Based on this season, Everton are all alone in their own tier at 7th, but I see us (and potentially Southampton) at a similar sort of level.

If Everton lose Lukaku and Southampton lose Van Dijk (both likely) and we can strengthen well, we should be able to distance ourselves from them and claim a solid 7th, as Everton have done this year.

With a good season, without European distractions, we could push up into that 'second tier' and maybe even claim that 4th spot. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we missed out though, but European football in 18/19 MUST be the minimum target.

A few quality signings (e.g. Sigurdsson and a younger CB like Maguire) and we should be good to push on for top 6 or higher.

20 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Absolutely. We won the league by 10 points 12 months ago. The title is unrealistic, top 4 is not. We're more consistent than most of the other teams. It'll be a tough slog and I think 6th would be good but this has to be the aim.

The whole 40 point thing this year was a complete joke. Stupid mentality. Talk of defending the title yet the message was also 40 points?! No wonder we struggled

I was ashamed of our club (the only time that's ever happened) when we gave every impression of starting out with no intention whatsoever of defending our title. I don't want to see something like that ever again. 

We often make stupidly over-optimistic forecasts on here, but we now see that being under-ambitious can be just as dangerous. Raineri took away all the joy and self-belief from us by constantly underplaying our achievement and ability. No wonder the players lost their oomph.

We won the league by 10 points. We have great players, only lost one so far, and have the greatest team ethic in the country.

Of course we can realistically challenge for the high places. We need to recognise again our own abilities, and show no respect whatsoever for any team we face.

If we as a club focus on the sports science stuff to minimise injuries like last season and before we could challenge the top 6 with good recruits. I think for us we can't carry a large squad of players who expect to start, but with a consistent starting 11 and smart use of the subs we can still surprise.

Archived