Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Kelechi Iheanacho

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Ah....

There ya go then.

I don't doubt that clubs use it. There are clubs in lower leagues that can't afford to send people abroad for months in the hope they find someone. It makes reasonable sense to find players that fit their style before committing to a scouting mission.

However, I do doubt that clubs that spend millions on scouting and creating extensive scouting networks use it.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't doubt that clubs use it. There are clubs in lower leagues that can't afford to send people abroad for months in the hope they find someone. It makes reasonable sense to find players that fit their style before committing to a scouting mission.

However, I do doubt that clubs that spend millions on scouting and creating extensive scouting networks use it.

9D10B208-7B91-4B4B-B8D2-8EF31A9CB812-1161-00000249B31240E5.gif

37 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@Ricey might frown at me for being this cynical but I've always assumed these sorts of articles are at least semi planted as marketing.

The sky sports news stuff comes with big football manager official logos on it and sky sports is conversely advertised within football manager, as is the Guardian iirc.

It's all just advertising. I highly doubt any serious sports team does their scouting on a computer game.

The list of football manager wonderkids that go on to be real life flops is both enormous and a running joke with fans, Cherno Samba etc.

I am a big Football Manager fan and do a lot of listening to podcasts and reading on the game and the background.

Sports Interactive who make the game have a separate database they work on with ProZone which includes a lot of real time stats. Basically the same as FM but with running distances, sprints etc for the current season. Big clubs around the world use this to find players. The subscription is a huge amount for it but it is very heavily used by big teams.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

@Ricey might frown at me for being this cynical but I've always assumed these sorts of articles are at least semi planted as marketing.

The sky sports news stuff comes with big football manager official logos on it and sky sports is conversely advertised within football manager, as is the Guardian iirc.

It's all just advertising. I highly doubt any serious sports team does their scouting on a computer game.

The list of football manager wonderkids that go on to be real life flops is both enormous and a running joke with fans, Cherno Samba etc.

mind you, it might explain some of last summers signings if they do! :D

2 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Would rather not have him, than have to give him back and be in the same position a year or two years down the road.

I don't rent what I can afford to purchase AND need.

We would make 10m profit from reading that? 

No brainer for me. If they want him back it's because he smashes it here and we make some money. Got to remember even if he does very well he still probably won't be better than what they have

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

He's have to be exceptional for Man City to want to buy him back....so we would have had a cracking player for 2 years if that was the case

I suppose we would ultimately benefit in a buy-back deal, but we could also be looking at making less in a buy-back deal than we would if we purchased now.

Our window for success at the PL level may also be somewhat small, and this could help us capitalize.

I can see both sides as offering valid points.

12 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

We would make 10m profit from reading that? 

No brainer for me. If they want him back it's because he smashes it here and we make some money. Got to remember even if he does very well he still probably won't be better than what they have

Seems sort of OK providing it's not one that is enforceable before at least one (maybe 2) full season(s) with us first...

2 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I suppose we would ultimately benefit in a buy-back deal, but we could also be looking at making less in a buy-back deal than we would if we purchased now.

...and we could also be looking at losing more if he's a flop. Seems academic anyway if the option is clause or no deal.

A few minutes ago this was a flat 'no' from you based on a buy-back clause being in place. I'm now none the wiser. If you admit 'we would ultimately benefit in a buy-back deal' then that would be a very strange position to still hold.

The only downside to an activated buy-back that I can see is that we could have bought someone else who would have been as good or brought on one of the youngsters through the ranks during the year/two years he'd be here. Not a very convincing argument if you ask me...

Archived