Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Kelechi Iheanacho

7 minutes ago, dominicmsb said:

He's a finisher.. Jermain Defoe, Michael Owen, Jamie Vardy. Get him the ball in the box and he'll score goes. Don't know why we'd play him as a 10..

apparently its his natural position. Didn't someone say he plays there for Nigeria?

Also Man City fans seem to rate his link up play and work rate.

34 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Fully agree on this one, it's such a unique turn of phrase I laugh each time I read it.

I think he may just have been being ironic..

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Massively.

I assume it's done tongue in cheek at first but I'm pretty sure some people actually take it a bit seriously.

It's also not even vaguely funny as a joke.

I was utterly gobsmacked but they actually do use FM stats when discussing potential transfers on Sky Sports News.

They were talking about Bernardo Silva I think. I just laughed, the absolute state of journalism these days.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I was utterly gobsmacked but they actually do use FM stats when discussing potential transfers on Sky Sports News.

They were talking about Bernardo Silva I think. I just laughed, the absolute state of journalism these days.

Wow. Just wow.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yeah I've seen them do that and just switched over with a mixture of embarrassment and disgust.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Why would scouts not use the FM database?

Its work already done for them surely?

Use the stats to target the players you want to scout..then go and scout them.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Why would scouts not use the FM database?

Its work already done for them surely?

Use the stats to target the players you want to scout..then go and scout them.

You realise how ratings are determined on football manager, right?

It's not a team of professional scouts and serious data analysis number crunching.

It's fans of each team basically appraising their own players. Their ratings are then considered by a team of moderators to make sure some Boston United fan hasn't given Greg Smith 20s for finishing and pace.

Obviously they do do some vetting of candidates, they wouldn't accept ratings from some Herbert like you (Cambiasso? 2 passing) or Thracian (Andy King? 20 vision) but it's still just amateur fans.

@Ashley does something very similar for the FIFA franchise. He submits his suggestions for Leicester attributes and then a paid EA employee moderates and submits them.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You realise how ratings are determined on football manager, right?

It's not a team of professional scouts and serious data analysis number crunching.

It's fans of each team basically appraising their own players. Their ratings are then considered by a team of moderators to make sure some Boston United fan hasn't given Greg Smith 20s for finishing and pace.

Obviously they do do some vetting of candidates, they wouldn't accept ratings from some Herbert like you (Cambiasso? 2 passing) or Thracian (Andy King? 20 vision) but it's still just amateur fans.

@Ashley does something very similar for the FIFA franchise. He submits his suggestions for Leicester attributes and then a paid EA employee moderates and submits them.

Makes lotsa sense to me: 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/how-the-football-manager-video-game-became-a-real-life-football-manager-1321062

Let others start the work for you, then build on it.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Makes lotsa sense to me: 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

Let others start the work for you, then build on it.

@Ricey might frown at me for being this cynical but I've always assumed these sorts of articles are at least semi planted as marketing.

The sky sports news stuff comes with big football manager official logos on it and sky sports is conversely advertised within football manager, as is the Guardian iirc.

It's all just advertising. I highly doubt any serious sports team does their scouting on a computer game.

The list of football manager wonderkids that go on to be real life flops is both enormous and a running joke with fans, Cherno Samba etc.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@Ricey might frown at me for being this cynical but I've always assumed these sorts of articles are at least semi planted as marketing.

The sky sports news stuff comes with big football manager official logos on it and sky sports is conversely advertised within football manager, as is the Guardian iirc.

It's all just advertising. I highly doubt any serious sports team does their scouting on a computer game.

The list of football manager wonderkids that go on to be real life flops is both enormous and a running joke with fans, Cherno Samba etc.

No offence mate, but I'll base my opinion on what I hear and read rather than on your posts.

I think it's best in the long run.

Eg. I'm pretty sure I even heard about a lower league club doing exactly this, recently on the radio.

i do agree with you on the possibility of the marketing, advertising bit though. But that don't mean it's not worth using the database and that clubs don't use it.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not my area and I've no idea what articles we are involved with.

However, it's 100% true that clubs are interested in our data and it is being used by real life clubs. It's the most extensive database out there after all.

Just now, Ricey said:

It's not my area and I've no idea what articles we are involved with.

However, it's 100% true that clubs are interested in our data and it is being used by real life clubs. It's the most extensive database out there after all.

Ah....

There ya go then.

Archived