Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mullet

Shakespeare in talks to extend contract

People calling out Shakespeare for the run in need to have a word with themselves. We had an injury crisis in and around some tough fixtures after we had secured safety. You could even argue that blame for the injury crisis lay with the previous regime for not recruiting widely/well enough in the affected positions, otherwise that has to go down as bad luck. Shakespeare lost fixtures to Atletico Madrid, Everton, Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham ffs. Yes the 1-6 defeat was slightly humbling, yes the 1-1 with Bournemouth to close the season meant we missed top half and was a little underwhelming, yes the performances tailed off a little when we got thin on the ground personnel wise. But I don't see why that should count massively against him - the bloke came in and did his job.

Aside from the changes in playing staff which can amend the aspects that caught us out this season, I imagine there will be a few additions to Shakespeare's back room staff as well, which is likely to also help. Shakespeare is no mug, he knows what he's doing and still has an excellent core of players and staff around him. Allow him to get the right people out, the right people in and kick on again.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I can't believe how much a few dead rubber games with an injury crisis can actually alter peoples opinions. What went on before that is far more important and he did a grand job.

Give Shakey the job. He has done enough since taking over. 

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Very odd how people have suddenly turned on Shakespeare. Form since he came in is top 6. There's definitely some delusions of grandeur that have crept into the Leicester city fanbase.

There are certain points of view I absolutely understand regarding him. But attempting to use results (which has been actually very good in the main) but hampered with extra games and injuries is a bit of an odd one.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There are certain points of view I absolutely understand regarding him. But attempting to use results (which has been actually very good in the main) but hampered with extra games and injuries is a bit of an odd one.

Very odd really when you consider during that crisis we narrowly lost to Man City and drew against a Bournemouth side we haven't found a way to beat In the premier league yet. 

4 hours ago, weller54 said:

An extension??... 

Either make him the permanent Manager or not!! 

Just extends the uncertainty for the entire club. 

I agree with the owners, inexperienced manager, excellent coach, give him a year, if it works give him longer, if it doesn't no big settlement fee.

He then gets a year to prove he has what it takes, because at times when he was manager we was great, but also poor at times, showed a bit of inexperience.

Possilbly win, all round, and doesn't create uncertainty for me, he's been here a long time, players say they want him, now him and they have a season to put their money where their mouths are, prove it, and get him a longer deal.

12 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Very odd how people have suddenly turned on Shakespeare. Form since he came in is top 6. There's definitely some delusions of grandeur that have crept into the Leicester city fanbase.

If by very odd, you mean absolutely pathetic, then I fully agree with you.

Winning the title has brought out the worst in some of our fans.

This season was a good season for Leicester City, one of the most successful in my lifetime, arguably some of the biggest games in our history. We have finished as the 12th best team in the country. We were League one not that long ago. Apart from last season and 4 seasons under MO'N you have to go back to the seventies for the last we troubled the top 10.  Last season was an incredible freak, but one title doesn't mean we can attract the best players and world class managers. There is nobody out there we could attract better suited to the role than CS.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

If by very odd, you mean absolutely pathetic, then I fully agree with you.

Winning the title has brought out the worst in some of our fans.

This season was a good season for Leicester City, one of the most successful in my lifetime, arguably some of the biggest games in our history. We have finished as the 12th best team in the country, we have only finished higher on . We were League one not that long ago. Apart from last season and 4 seasons under MO'N you have to go back to the seventies for the last we troubled the top 10.  Last season was an incredible freak, but one title doesn't mean we can attract the best players and world class managers. There is nobody out there we could attract better suited to the role than CS.

Thank god somebody has said it! You'd think we were a team like Spurs or Liverpool the way people are going on.

Some guy saying we should be ashamed to emulate Southampton's recent achievements as if we're now a nailed on top 6 team every year :rolleyes:

We're not, we're Leicester, a medium-sized city with a huge rugby team, and a football team that has historically just aimed to make up the numbers in the top tier.

Yes we won a title but it doesn't change all of our history. 

Shakespeare is the man for us to consolidate as a high mid-table ideally top 10 side, hopefully pushing for Europe, exactly where we should be aiming for. If he doesn't manage this then yes we'd reconsider, but for the time being he has shown more than enough.

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The results of the last 10 games were pretty poor on the whole only 20% wins and 20% draws  will get you relegated over a season, OK there was a fixture congestion issue that will not arise this season but you have to be able to play when the games are deemed to be played.

Bournemouth home - Draw
Spurs home - Loss
Man City away - loss
Watford home - win
West Brom away - win
Arsenal away - loss
Atletico Madrid - draw
Palace away - loss
Atletic Madrid Away - loss
Everton Away - loss

:

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

The results of the last 10 games were pretty poor on the whole only 20% wins and 20% draws  will get you relegated over a season, OK there was a fixture congestion issue that will not arise this season but you have to be able to play when the games are deemed to be played.

Bournemouth home - Draw
Spurs home - Loss
Man City away - loss
Watford home - win
West Brom away - win
Arsenal away - loss
Atletico Madrid - draw
Palace away - loss
Everton Away - loss

:

Drew at palace 

25 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Damn right

We looked a dead cert to go down before Shakey began role as (interim) manager, and finished 12th despite a whole host of injuries causing players to be played out position, and had numerous officiating errors costing us at least 4 points. I don't really know what else he could have done. The 1-6 thrashing from Spurs was a day to forget, but I think just highlighted how badly we need to sign new players and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat Shakey with. Give him the job and the funds, he's earned it

4 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Bournemouth home - Draw
Spurs home - Loss
Man City away - loss
Watford home - win
West Brom away - win
Arsenal away - loss
Atletico Madrid - draw
Palace away - loss
Everton Away - loss

:

Nobody can argue those results are poor, I'm on the fence, not convinced he would move us forward, and wouldn't bother me if he was given a years extension 

He has known the club etc for many seasons, knows how it operates and is respected here.

He's also got strong knowledge of the game and had impressed initially before injuries etc occurred.

Believe it's the right decision, once everyone is available and some signings are mad and given some time to settle in etc -  the opinion as to whether he's doing fine will start then.

6 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Bournemouth home - Draw
Spurs home - Loss
Man City away - loss
Watford home - win
West Brom away - win
Arsenal away - loss
Atletico Madrid - draw
Palace away - DRAW
Everton Away - loss

:

Yeh over a season. Not over the 8 PL games you've listed. 

Shakespeare's overall record was far better than 20%/20%/60%. You can't warp the picture by cherry picking fixtures against top 6 teams in the midst of an injury crisis! 

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Excelente. Let's not let a couple of end of season games with an injury ravaged squad detract from the great job CS has done, it is short term thinking.

The right move by the club hands down to give him a chance.

Now get NP in as assistant ;)

****ing hell Los!

4 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Yeh over a season. Not over the 8 PL games you've listed. 

Shakespeare's overall record was far better than 20%/20%/60%. You can't warp the picture by cherry picking fixtures against top 6 teams in the midst of an injury crisis! 

Not cherry picking, just as stated, the last 10 games, we could make it 11 if you wish and add the loss to Everton........

Just now, norwichfox said:

Not cherry picking, just as stated, the last 10 games....

It is cherry picking, as you've only picked the games which illustrate your point, whereas the whole picture would not. 

57 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'd just like to see a change of style but haven't seen that. It's the same old ball to Vardy who often ends up isolated. 

Archived