Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mullet

Shakespeare in talks to extend contract

My instant reaction to this was disappointment .... I'm right behind CS and wanted him appointed last season.... I just don't see him as the manager needed this season to take us forward. 

Hopefully it's an extension to his coaching contract.

38 minutes ago, weller54 said:

An extension??... 

Either make him the permanent Manager or not!! 

Just extends the uncertainty for the entire club. 

He was made manager to the end of the season, he was contracted as the manager from February, he is the permanent manager. They are discussing extending that, so in other words making him manager for longer, extending his 4 month contract to say 2 or 3 years. 

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He was made manager to the end of the season, he was contracted as the manager from February, he is the permanent manager. They are discussing extending that, so in other words making him manager for longer, extending his 4 month contract to say 2 or 3 years. 

As long as it's the length you mentioned and not just another short term extension.. 6-12 months for example?... 

Not sure he's the right Man for us in the long term though but perhaps the safest choice / easy option right now! 

I'll be surprised if we play decent football, or have a plan b if things go wrong. I can also see the Shakespeare novelty effect wearing off with the players, who will pin all the blame on Shakespeare when their performance levels crash...

We could end up sucked into a relegation battle but more likely finish well safe somewhere in the bottom half.

Prove me wrong please Craig :thumbup:

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Taking place in Monaco - better than Leicester I guess (maybe they can bring mbappe back with them !)

Whilst we also interview Monaco's gaffer and talk to their DoF about Lemar and Mendy!?

35 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

My instant reaction to this was disappointment .... I'm right behind CS and wanted him appointed last season.... I just don't see him as the manager needed this season to take us forward. 

Hopefully it's an extension to his coaching contract.

What do you consider taking us forward?

Personally I think it's fairly clear we're attempting the saints model now of the manager fitting in with us, not us fitting everything around them. From what we've heard about recruitment, we're already some way down the line in terms of signings. So it doesn't look like that's going to change no matter who is in charge.

If the squad building decisions are being taken away from the manager, then I'm more worried about having untried people in charge of that than I am about whoever we call manager.

Shakey has shown he can so a good job with this group of players under the sort of circumstances he's not going to face all the time (champions league extra games and losing so many to injury). I have no worries about next season on what I've seen, but the squad building side of it needs to be in good hands, with long term planning in place to replace an aging squad.

It would be nice to have the press actually question what the setup is down there now and how things work.

10 minutes ago, maddog said:

I'll be surprised if we play decent football, or have a plan b if things go wrong. I can also see the Shakespeare novelty effect wearing off with the players, who will pin all the blame on Shakespeare when their performance levels crash...

We could end up sucked into a relegation battle but more likely finish well safe somewhere in the bottom half.

Prove me wrong please Craig :thumbup:

Have you ever considered motivational speaking?

1 minute ago, ultrafox said:

Why talk about extending a contract?

Just make him permanent and if by Christmas we are in trouble..just sack him like all clubs would do.

They are talking about extending his contract, his current contract is that of manager... he also would probably like his say in the matter and I'd imagine his agent does as well. You can't avoid talking about it.

Good to hear, Shakespeare is the best man for the job, would rather have him than any other name in the frame. He has had a huge hand in everything good  about this club in the last few years and has shown he has the mentality and backing of the players, but for a few iffy decisions from match officials and an injury crisis in defence we could have easily claimed 8th, oh and 6 months of crap football under Ranieri.

Whilst Craig Shakespeare  got us out of the deep hole that was being dug by Ranieri, and I was amongst those calling for him to get the "permanent position, the last couple of games seem to have thrown a new light on this. My opinion now is we do need a "New Broom" (but hopefully keeping the CS "broom handle" in a coaching role). We do not know that his tactics extend any further than a "feed Vardy rapidly" system, and use of substitutes could have been better (but I suppose we were equally critical of Ranieri during our Premier Champion winning season). My heart whispers yes, but my head is shouting no. I hope whoever gets the job will insist on having substantial control within the transfer market within a given budget. We need someone that can undo the "behind the scenes" issues that were working well until Ranieri decided to change things for something that didn't work so well.

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They are talking about extending his contract, his current contract is that of manager... he also would probably like his say in the matter and I'd imagine his agent does as well. You can't avoid talking about it.

And the little issue of who he wants to add to his coaching staff and who he wants as his No2.

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What do you consider taking us forward?

Personally I think it's fairly clear we're attempting the saints model now of the manager fitting in with us, not us fitting everything around them. From what we've heard about recruitment, we're already some way down the line in terms of signings. So it doesn't look like that's going to change no matter who is in charge.

If the squad building decisions are being taken away from the manager, then I'm more worried about having untried people in charge of that than I am about whoever we call manager.

Shakey has shown he can so a good job with this group of players under the sort of circumstances he's not going to face all the time (champions league extra games and losing so many to injury). I have no worries about next season on what I've seen, but the squad building side of it needs to be in good hands, with long term planning in place to replace an aging squad.

It would be nice to have the press actually question what the setup is down there now and how things work.

Said something to the same effect in another thread. Shakey did extraordinarily well to immediately lift the players and go on the run we did. We were a lucky fall of the ball away from a CL semi! The players have openly backed him and he will repair and develop the model which has served us well for years. The last few games were decimated by injury to the core of our squad, any team would have struggled. 

The recruitment side fills me with no confidence though. Macia's record throughout his career is poor and he got the job because he was mates with Claudio. Until a matter of months ago, we had something like 8 scouts - 5 full time; 0 in Europe. That's the concern, surely?

9 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Whilst Craig Shakespeare  got us out of the deep hole that was being dug by Ranieri, and I was amongst those calling for him to get the "permanent position, the last couple of games seem to have thrown a new light on this. My opinion now is we do need a "New Broom" (but hopefully keeping the CS "broom handle" in a coaching role). We do not know that his tactics extend any further than a "feed Vardy rapidly" system, and use of substitutes could have been better (but I suppose we were equally critical of Ranieri during our Premier Champion winning season). My heart whispers yes, but my head is shouting no. I hope whoever gets the job will insist on having substantial control within the transfer market within a given budget. We need someone that can undo the "behind the scenes" issues that were working well until Ranieri decided to change things for something that didn't work so well.

I can't believe how much a few dead rubber games with an injury crisis can actually alter peoples opinions. What went on before that is far more important and he did a grand job.

Archived