Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mullet

Shakespeare in talks to extend contract

16 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

It is cherry picking, as you've only picked the games which illustrate your point, whereas the whole picture would not. 

No, my point is that after the CS "honeymoon period" was over, our results were pretty darned poor overall and I don't want to see us go back down again any time in the near future.

26 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

The results of the last 10 games were pretty poor on the whole only 20% wins and 20% draws  will get you relegated over a season, OK there was a fixture congestion issue that will not arise this season but you have to be able to play when the games are deemed to be played.

Bournemouth home - Draw
Spurs home - Loss
Man City away - loss
Watford home - win
West Brom away - win
Arsenal away - loss
Atletico Madrid - draw
Palace away - loss
Atletic Madrid Away - loss
Everton Away - loss

20 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Nobody can argue those results are poor, I'm on the fence, not convinced he would move us forward, and wouldn't bother me if he was given a years extension 

Well yeah it's pretty poor it you want to totally ignore who we actually had to play. Athletico Madrid x 2, Arsenal away, Man City away, Spurs at home. That's 5 games out of your 10 that quite frankly nobody should be EXPECTING much from.  The other 5 we drew against an in form Palace side away, beat Watford and West Brom, drew against Bournemouth and lost against Everton playing a weakened team. But for a missed penno and a wrongly ruled out goal we could also have another D and a W from a difficult run of games.

You're essentially holding him accountable for the fact we had to play a lot of decent teams in a row whilst dealing with games others didn't have an an injury crisis. But yeah that form will get us relegated when we have to play Madrid and Spurs every week next season. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

No, my point is that after the CS "honeymoon period" was over, our results were pretty darned poor overall and I don't want to see us go back down again any time in the near future.

Honeymoon period... by which you mean a run of games no rational person would expecting a team who has only just scraped to mid table to get much from.

It's hilarious that people want to pick a certain criteria of games to judge CS on. The last 3 games, the last 10 games, etc. As if beating Liverpool 3-1 was just a given coming out of Ranieri's firing. All the games he won in a row that brought us out of the relegation zone and into mid table don't count, but the one's at the end of the season when he had to play Fuchs at CB do count. 

Why not just look at the full picture:

He went 7W - 2D - 4L (23 pts) in 13 league matches. If he averaged that in a season, we'd end up with 67 points and snatch a spot in the Europa League.

He went 1W - 1D - 1L in 3 champions league matches. 

He's the best coach if you want to keep the current squad together and play in the current system.

Why do we want to change the way we approach the game? Why do we want to get rid of plan A for a more possession / passing based game? How we play is our strength. It's why we won the league. It's why we went to the quarterfinal of the champions league. You'll never be able to compete with the top clubs of the premier league if you play the way they play, because you'll never be able to spend as much on players that fit the same system.

By playing our unique brand of football, you can avoid that. Spend less money on more obscure players that fit our system, and make them look like stars. Don't buy stars and try and fit them into our system, we already seen how that doesn't work. Haven't we learned anything from Ranieri's firing? Changing the system nearly got us relegated. But yeah, by all means, If you want to rebuild, move on most of the current first team, then by all means bring in a new manager. I just don't know why people are so quick to throw what we've built away to start anew.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Honeymoon period... by which you mean a run of games no rational person would expecting a team who has only just scraped to mid table to get much from.

Yes, much in the way that Hull had a run of good results when Silva came aboard, they looked a reasonable bet to stay up around early April time...and they're a Championship side next season.

1 minute ago, norwichfox said:

Yes, much in the way that Hull had a run of good results when Silva came aboard, they looked a reasonable bet to stay up around early April time...and they're a Championship side next season.

Hull weren't just losing to Madrid, Spurs, Arsenal, City were they. They were losing to Sunderland, Palace, Us, Stoke etc.

You can't base your entire opinion on what a manager essentially does against the top 7 teams in the league.

I'm not talking about results, or a "hooneymoon period", I'm talking about performances. And performances haven't been that good. The games at Arsenal, Madrid (too defensive even in the first leg until they scored), Manchester City (first half - it took us to go 2-0 down to do something), WBA away (it was a shite game), Spurs at home, Bournemouth (deserved to be at least 3 up before we scored and a better team would have been).

Shakespeare hasn't really changed that much in terms of formation and style of play and that's what worries me. Bournemouth cut through us like Barcelona.

The squad needs a complete overhaul. We are miles off the top top clubs and yeah that's not our aim but we should be going for the Europa League. He needs to attract in some good players because our previous signings (aside from NDidi) have not improved the team at all.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not talking about results, or a "hooneymoon period", I'm talking about performances. And performances haven't been that good. The games at Arsenal, Madrid (too defensive even in the first leg until they scored), Manchester City (first half - it took us to go 2-0 down to do something), WBA away (it was a shite game), Spurs at home, Bournemouth (deserved to be at least 3 up before we scored and a better team would have been).

Shakespeare hasn't really changed that much in terms of formation and style of play and that's what worries me. Bournemouth cut through us like Barcelona.

The squad needs a complete overhaul. We are miles off the top top clubs and yeah that's not our aim but we should be going for the Europa League. He needs to attract in some good players because our previous signings (aside from NDidi) have not improved the team at all.

We have not had Morgan for past couple of months and no Huth. Huth I feel is instrumental in our defence.

Shakespeare inherited the squad he currently has and could not make any additions. He had no choice in that respect.

Give him the Summer to make some transfers and see if he can make the important changes.

I feel that some peoples expectations have gone overboard, we are in a very competitive league and he took control when we was heading for relegation.

The owners made a hard but successful decision in replacing Claudio with Shakespeare, and I trust their next decision will also be the correct one.

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Bournemouth deserved to be at least 3-0 up... what game were you watching?

Just now, Babylon said:

Bournemouth deserved to be at least 3-0 up... what game were you watching?

They had about 3 clear cut chances first half. We could get nowhere near their fast, attacking football. Movement was superior to ours.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They had about 3 clear cut chances first half. We could get nowhere near their fast, attacking football. Movement was superior to ours.

But they didn't score 3 and second half we battered them and should have won 3-1, with a genuine goal incorrectly ruled out for offside. Are you also forgetting we had 3 starters missing in what was a nothing game anyway?

1 minute ago, Fox 4 Life said:

But they didn't score 3 and second half we battered them and should have won 3-1, with a genuine goal incorrectly ruled out for offside. Are you also forgetting we had 3 starters missing in what was a nothing game anyway?

That's why I said "first half",

1 hour ago, LCCFox96 said:

People calling out Shakespeare for the run in need to have a word with themselves. We had an injury crisis in and around some tough fixtures after we had secured safety. You could even argue that blame for the injury crisis lay with the previous regime for not recruiting widely/well enough in the affected positions, otherwise that has to go down as bad luck. Shakespeare lost fixtures to Atletico Madrid, Everton, Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham ffs. Yes the 1-6 defeat was slightly humbling, yes the 1-1 with Bournemouth to close the season meant we missed top half and was a little underwhelming, yes the performances tailed off a little when we got thin on the ground personnel wise. But I don't see why that should count massively against him - the bloke came in and did his job.

Aside from the changes in playing staff which can amend the aspects that caught us out this season, I imagine there will be a few additions to Shakespeare's back room staff as well, which is likely to also help. Shakespeare is no mug, he knows what he's doing and still has an excellent core of players and staff around him. Allow him to get the right people out, the right people in and kick on again.

Tottenham  slightly humbling the worst home league defeat for about 50 years or t least equal worst

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

8 of their 10 shots in the entire game were long shots from well outside the box for starters. Most of their passing was concentrated in areas that wasn't going to hurt us, hence most of their shots being from distance.

We also missed a few chances ourselves first half.

If, say Mancini had been given to the end of the season after Claudio went and he had the same run of results as Shakespeare, equaling and breaking records held by football managerial royalty, with a poor final week due to an injury depleted team, we would have been singing his name from the rafters and urging the owners to sign him up. 

As we promoted our assistant manager, some think it was just a bounce. 

They could be right, but surely, after his incredible efforts to save us from relegation, Shakespeare and all of us deserve the opportunity to find out if it's something much more than that?

34 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The performances, bar the Spurs game have been alright. Away at Atletico, Arsenal and City we're surely going to have to defend - losing 1-0 at the Calderon, 1-0 at the Emirates where we worth a point and battling back to 2-2 bar a slip at City is hardly cause for massive concerns for a Leicester fan. WBA we ground out a good away win. Spurs, yes we were shite admittedly but Bournemouth was very much the typical game of two halves. 

Shakespeare has gone back to basics, which is what everyone wanted him to do. It worked very well and he comfortably amassed the points total he needed. He was hardly going to come in and rip up the blue prints for a side he's watched play successfully for 4/5 years in such a system, especially when he knows he's got the players to do it. 

The squad does not need a complete overhaul. There are a few people who need moving on, a few people who might want to go. It will be minor tweaks whoever comes in.

19 minutes ago, foxaholic said:

Tottenham  slightly humbling the worst home league defeat for about 50 years or t least equal worst

Yeah it was a bad night. Was it a blot on Shakespeare's copybook? Yes, very much so. Do I think it means he should be removed from the running for the job because a injury-weakened team in an ultimately dead rubber game got beaten by a Tottenham Hotspur side who have amassed more points than we did last year to win the league? No, not at all. 

Peter Taylor did well in his first few games then it went down hill, I'm not saying he will be as bad but I'm just saying don't take the first few wins as he's great because he finished with 2 wins on 8 in the end 

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

If by very odd, you mean absolutely pathetic, then I fully agree with you.

Winning the title has brought out the worst in some of our fans.

This season was a good season for Leicester City, one of the most successful in my lifetime, arguably some of the biggest games in our history. We have finished as the 12th best team in the country. We were League one not that long ago. Apart from last season and 4 seasons under MO'N you have to go back to the seventies for the last we troubled the top 10.  Last season was an incredible freak, but one title doesn't mean we can attract the best players and world class managers. There is nobody out there we could attract better suited to the role than CS.

The attitude of our fans on here has nothing to do with winning the prem. Just look for the middlesborough away thread from the championship winning season.

Before the season had kicked off comments like. "ffs Vardy and Drinky in the team they are sh1t" "Pearson should be fvcking sacked picking Vardy and Drinky"

"Pearson should be sacked he's not got a fvcking clue"

The attitude has always been here you've just chosen not to see it.

You only have to look as far back as the great escape. Pearson was a total cvnt until the wetspam game. Only a few thought he would turn it round. Yet lots that wanted him sacked now would have him back.

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

The attitude of our fans on here has nothing to do with winning the prem. Just look for the middlesborough away thread from the championship winning season.

Before the season had kicked off comments like. "ffs Vardy and Drinky in the team they are sh1t" "Pearson should be fvcking sacked picking Vardy and Drinky"

"Pearson should be sacked he's not got a fvcking clue"

The attitude has always been here you've just chosen not to see it.

You only have to look as far back as the great escape. Pearson was a total cvnt until the wetspam game. Only a few thought he would turn it round. Yet lots that wanted him sacked now would have him back.

Oh I  see it, and have commented on it enough times, there is a lot of entitlement going on with some of the noisier contributors to this forum, delusions of grandeur and all that.

20 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

Peter Taylor did well in his first few games then it went down hill, I'm not saying he will be as bad but I'm just saying don't take the first few wins as he's great because he finished with 2 wins on 8 in the end 

Haha, I love that any Leicester manager who does well in his early games is now automatically mentioned alongside Peter Taylor. I recall similar being said when we were top of the league in the Autumn under Ranieri. 

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Thank god somebody has said it! You'd think we were a team like Spurs or Liverpool the way people are going on.

Some guy saying we should be ashamed to emulate Southampton's recent achievements as if we're now a nailed on top 6 team every year :rolleyes:

We're not, we're Leicester, a medium-sized city with a huge rugby team, and a football team that has historically just aimed to make up the numbers in the top tier.

Yes we won a title but it doesn't change all of our history. 

Shakespeare is the man for us to consolidate as a high mid-table ideally top 10 side, hopefully pushing for Europe, exactly where we should be aiming for. If he doesn't manage this then yes we'd reconsider, but for the time being he has shown more than enough.

Up until this week Shakespeare could do no wrong but you'd have to be slightly alarmed at how its finished.

Personally I reckon he did a cracking job re-energizing the team but if you want to be looking for reasons against there's a few things you could point to.

The disappointing end to the season

The reliance on the tried and trusted players

Not getting the best out of the rest of the squad (Chilwell aside)

1 win from 9 against top 7 opposition (including Atletico Madrid

Shakespeare I believe has done enough to get the first 1/3 of next season but if your the owners you might be swayed by the lack of form at the end.

Archived