Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

The lack of free health care provision is a major difference, particularly if applied to UK nationals who are resident there. 

I imagine it will work the same as non eu countries at the moment with the European health card or a UK equivalent. You will not be left to die on the street if you can’t pay. If you are a resident in an EU country then you will be paying tax and have access to healthcare in that country as a resident.

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I imagine it will work the same as non eu countries at the moment with the European health card or a UK equivalent. You will not be left to die on the street if you can’t pay. If you are a resident in an EU country then you will be paying tax and have access to healthcare in that country as a resident.

It was stated in the article that Matt posted that Brits will no longer be covered by the EHC. 

Whilst you may not be left to die on the streets, you will be liable for the costs as is true in any other  country outside the EHC now. 

Reports that a EU-UK divorce deal has been agreed: http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-european-union-thresa-may-brexit-negotiators-have-agreed-a-deal-2018-11

On the Irish border conundrum, the suggestion is that there would be a backstop with no time-limit but with a "review clause". How that would work in theory is unclear. Presumably, at some point, the EU and UK would get together to review when and on what basis the UK could leave the Customs Union. UK as a whole would be in a CU until then, unless a comprehensive trade deal precluding a hard border had been agreed. Meanwhile, N. Ireland would keep elements of the Single Market.

If that's true, I can see that going down like a lead balloon with Brexiteers - and with the DUP, unless the SM clauses are very minor.

Rumours that Raab, Leadsom, McVey & Mordaunt might resign.....

Fuller info will emerge, no doubt, but if these reports are accurate, it must be doubtful that such a deal would pass the cabinet, never mind parliament.

52 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Reports that a EU-UK divorce deal has been agreed: http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-european-union-thresa-may-brexit-negotiators-have-agreed-a-deal-2018-11

On the Irish border conundrum, the suggestion is that there would be a backstop with no time-limit but with a "review clause". How that would work in theory is unclear. Presumably, at some point, the EU and UK would get together to review when and on what basis the UK could leave the Customs Union. UK as a whole would be in a CU until then, unless a comprehensive trade deal precluding a hard border had been agreed. Meanwhile, N. Ireland would keep elements of the Single Market.

If that's true, I can see that going down like a lead balloon with Brexiteers - and with the DUP, unless the SM clauses are very minor.

Rumours that Raab, Leadsom, McVey & Mordaunt might resign.....

Fuller info will emerge, no doubt, but if these reports are accurate, it must be doubtful that such a deal would pass the cabinet, never mind parliament.

:D Good luck with that Mrs May.

21 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well at least now we will see what is actually going to happen.

Prediction - multiple resignations from the Cabinet tonight or tomorrow.

Vote of no confidence by the end of the week.

New PM by Christmas.

I don't share your confidence of multiple resignations.

There's been plenty of times for cabinet ministers to do that as it's been clear what the direction of negotiations have been. They've done nothing.

21 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I don't share your confidence of multiple resignations.

There's been plenty of times for cabinet ministers to do that as it's been clear what the direction of negotiations have been. They've done nothing.

Agreed re the ministers, there will be a couple but most are careerist so won't budge. Not sure how this going to end though, very interesting times ahead methinks.  

10 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

"where we are heading for the creation of a "European State""

Can you find the "fact" in this statement for me, please? I mean I wouldn't want people to be professing pure conjecture as a fact now.

Did it take fact to know that from the mid thirties to 1939  that fascism would lead to a second World War?  The writing was on the wall years before it happened, or was that "just pure conjecture"? No, common sense,

Facts can stack up  through common sense, as opposed to unknown conjecture, which is what you are advocating.

I for one, do not want to be part of a Federal European State, for which the writing on the wall, is already in place, for those who have common sense to see, with the Germans and the French in the driving seat, having more power over the other countries in the EU.

Obviously you cannot see beyond the end of your nose, sonny. 

Theresa has been doing a great job. The deal sounds fine to me. I played backstop a few times at school and I had no problems with it.

Now we just need another Scottish independence vote, but this time, give it to the English.

Edited by simFox
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What a fascinating time this is on politics. Just when you thought we couldn’t get any worse.

Plenty of our future generations will have to answer GCSE history questions on this ...... it’s momentus and if it wasn’t so friggin serious for our future I could enjoy it ........

we we have found ourselves in a dark room and we don’t have the light switch ...... we can argue forever about how we got here but do we do whatever we need to in order to turn on the light or do we take the chance we could get stuck in the dark room and perhaps struggle to get by in it ...........

there is no right or wrong answer now ............

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Plenty of our future generations will have to answer GCSE history questions on this ...... it’s momentus and if it wasn’t so friggin serious for our future I could enjoy it ........

we we have found ourselves in a dark room and we don’t have the light switch ...... we can argue forever about how we got here but do we do whatever we need to in order to turn on the light or do we take the chance we could get stuck in the dark room and perhaps struggle to get by in it ...........

We turn around and go back into the room we came from.

Easy.

• Like 1

If these leaks are true what a bizarre way to approach the situation, surely almost everyone in the ERG votes against this so she'll need 60-70 MP's from the opposition benches to get this through parliament?

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Surely the only way out of this is put it back to the people. You asked to leave the EU this is the best we can do so now you get to choose again.

Not quite THE big day today but  A big day before the big day itself.

Me, I'm more interested to see if/who resigns and what rancour and fallout there might be. Exciting stuff this. Better than any soap opera.

I've no idea where this is going to go but May's deal really does seem (reading between the lines) like a boat that will sink as it launches from the ramp. I feel May's pressing on regardless because she simply doesn't know what else to do. In fairness, she was never going to please everyone. Though congrats are due I suppose in that she seems to have successfully united leavers and remainers in a common cause... opposing her suggested deal! 

Edited by FoxNotFox

15 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Surely the only way out of this is put it back to the people. You asked to leave the EU this is the best we can do so now you get to choose again.

It's not the best we can do at all - it's the best Ollie Robbins and Theresa May can do.

It's a Remain Brexit from a Remain cabinet backed by a Remain civil service.

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

And what if the vote is the same again? Seems to me our so called leaders are not really up to the job of being able to negotiate deals and are in the position they're in not because of their qualities, but because they're not as bad as the other guy. Should have employed Daniel Jaffe if they wanted a decent divorce negotiator.