Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

22 minutes ago, Gerard said:

For me it's all about price. If we were offered £20m I'd be keeping Slimani. For £30m I'd sell a player who won't get ahead of Vardy and isn't suited to playing No10 and will be 30 next year.

Considering we have Iheanacho and Vardy as our likely pairing and Okazaki is our 3rd choice I think Slimani will play limited minutes this season. Ulloa gets a lot of flack but I still think he's as good as when we signed him and fits into that 4th striker option who offers something different.

My year long plan would be sell Slimani, keep Ulloa and then next summer maybe move Ulloa on to a Championship club for £5m and buy a younger striker to supplement Vardy and Iheanacho.

Or keep everyone until Jan to see if Nacho is actually any good in our system and whether Slim settles in better this season and whether Vards picks up an injury. In Jan we can sell Ulloa/Slim if necessary for a higher price than now. Nacho might still be taken back by Man City at any time if he's good enough to start for us every week.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

It's not rocket science - he wants to play every week. he wants to be the 'main man'. He will have to go to a Watford or Newcastle to have that distinction. I doubt they will pay us enough.

What is "enough"?

Slimani scored 0.49 goals per 90 mins last season. £25m+ isn't a bad price for someone looking for a striker with five days to go before the window shuts. There's not a lot of risk for Newcastle and Watford buying Slimani.

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Or keep everyone until Jan to see if Nacho is actually any good in our system and whether Slim settles in better this season. In Jan we can sell Ulloa/Slim if necessary for a higher price than now. Nacho might still be taken back by Man City at any time if he's good enough to start for us every week.

That's a fair point. We probably would be better seeing how the land lies in January when teams are maybe more desperate to bring quality players in certain positions in.

Iheanacho can only be taken back in a certain window every summer.

He isn't going to get in ahead of Vardy as the centre forward so let the lad go somewhere and play. Leo is happy with his role so that's why he has a new contract. Not sure why people are obsessed with hoarding good players but don't have any concept of a squad which is tight and should really be limited to 15 players who know their role and are happy. Slim is a really good player in a system that suits him but that isn't us.

I'd like hm to stay over Ulloa, but presumably he's not prepared to wait in the wings for a chance to become the main man, which is unlikely to happen. Be great if he would be happy as an alternative option around the 60 - 70 min mark if required, but I can't see it happening.

As we don't 'need' the money from any sale I'd definitely keep him. As an alternative striking option he is miles ahead of Ulloa. His movement in the box and ability to win the ball in the air in the area is something we just don't have and will be invaluable in games where we need to cross from deep due to teams sitting back.

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Slimani is definitely a Premier League standard striker, his goals per minute record last season showed that. If you give him the service he will score.

Certainly agree.

But would that be the same case with Ulloa?

Going to cause some controversy here, sorry, but do feel they're both similar in style.

Target men whose presences can be crucial is the quality of delivery is there.

5 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Certainly agree.

But would that be the same case with Ulloa?

Going to cause some controversy here, sorry, but do feel they're both similar in style.

Target men whose presences can be crucial is the quality of delivery is there.

No controversy, Wymsey! I don't think that Slim is just an Ulloa upgrade, actually think he is miles better on the ground and more of a poacher, finisher than Leo. That might be why a lot on here aren't keen. He's not a pace merchant like Vardy, he's not a beautiful fox in the box like Iheanacho, and he's not a big battering ram like Ulloa (or Rondon).

What he does have (for me) is an eye for goal, excellent positioning, and he puts in  a lot of hard work off the ball. I actually think he is a really good fit and has showed that he can really lead the line. 

It's clear to me that Shakey is trying to evolve our style from the pure out and our defence and then super fast breaks of CR, and back to more (shockingly!) the dynamic, direct but passing football of Pearson, especially the Championship winning season. If that's the case, I'm pretty excited. Sorry, went a little off topic but I think we might begin to see more of an attaching pair up front, like Vardy and Nugent were. Two threats, lots of movement and one with pace and one with some pace but also some guile. 

10 hours ago, foxes21 said:

Ulloa and Slimani don't fit our style of play. We need quick forwards leading the line.

Other then being a plan b on the bench, they're not ideal in our preferred system.

I'd replace both of them in a heartbeat if we could find a young CF similar to Vardy.

Thought that was what Musa was supposed to be

4 hours ago, brucey said:

they can fvck off

Jardim was the one who brought Slimani to European football. Personally, I would be so happy for him if he left to Monaco coz I know how much Jardim values him as a player. I can't say the same about Shakespeare tbh

9 minutes ago, Redouane said:

Jardim was the one who brought Slimani to European football. Personally, I would be so happy for him if he left to Monaco coz I know how much Jardim values him as a player. I can't say the same about Shakespeare tbh

Same can be said for Gray aswell, especially last season over Mahrez but I doubt you'll admit that, it's purely a case of racism.

I really rate Slim and def don't want him to go but if I were the man himself and the interest from Monaco was genuine then I'd be on to my agent to make it happen especially as he doesn't seem to have the full backing of CS. From his point of view as a player that would surely be a bit of a dream move.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Same can be said for Gray aswell, especially last season over Mahrez but I doubt you'll admit that, it's purely a case of racism.

What does racism have to do with anything? Im saying Slimani isnt good enough to Stuart over Vardy and doesn't play Shinji's role.

Same applies to Gray. Not good enough to start over Mahrez and doesn't play Albrighton's role. 

You can't have two Mahrez's in a team, or two Vardy's

3 minutes ago, Redouane said:

What does racism have to do with anything? Im saying Slimani isnt good enough to Stuart over Vardy and doesn't play Shinji's role.

Same applies to Gray. Not good enough to start over Mahrez and doesn't play Albrighton's role. 

You can't have two Mahrez's in a team, or two Vardy's

"What does racism have to do with anything?"

You tell me, you've played the card in previous posts, i'm just referring to them.

"Not good enough to start over Mahrez"

Correct, not at the moment, Mahrez seems to have pulled his socks up, last season...well Gray couldn't have been much worse but wasn't given a chance, i'd rather have seen him learning than play with 10 men, as I said not that you'd admit that of course.

"doesn't play Albrighton's role"

I'm not gonna slag Albrighton off because he was one of the slightly better performers last season and he's been great so far this season, that said Gray seemed to do well today and we actually started going forward and attacking when both Mahrez and Gray were on the field.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

"What does racism have to do with anything?"

You tell me, you've played the card in previous posts, i'm just referring to them.

"Not good enough to start over Mahrez"

Correct, not at the moment, Mahrez seems to have pulled his socks up, last season...well Gray couldn't have been much worse but wasn't given a chance, i'd rather have seen him learning than play with 10 men, as I said not that you'd admit that of course.

"doesn't play Albrighton's role"

I'm not gonna slag Albrighton off because he was one of the slightly better performers last season and he's been great so far this season, that said Gray seemed to do well today and we actually started going forward and attacking when both Mahrez and Gray were on the field.

LOL, BS mate. Show me proof. 

We've seen your hero Gray today. Wasn't very impressive now was he? 

Correction* Albrighton was one of the slightly better performers in the second third of the season. I do agree that he has improved immensely, and is one of the hardest workers in the team though.

Also Gray played well? We mustn't have watched the same game.  If Mahrez did half the mistakes Gray made, you would be crying for him to get cut from the team. And you seem to be underestimating Albrighton's role. Without him, Mahrez wouldn't have as much freedom to do whatever he wants. 

I've said this many times, I don't dislike Gray but I do feel that he is still unproven. Assuming all the reports of him saying he wants more game time or he leaves are true, then it really shows you what kind of character he has. 

5 minutes ago, Redouane said:

LOL, BS mate. Show me proof. 

We've seen your hero Gray today. Wasn't very impressive now was he? 

Correction* Albrighton was one of the slightly better performers in the second third of the season. I do agree that he has improved immensely, and is one of the hardest workers in the team though.

Also Gray played well? We mustn't have watched the same game.  If Mahrez did half the mistakes Gray made, you would be crying for him to get cut from the team. And you seem to be underestimating Albrighton's role. Without him, Mahrez wouldn't have as much freedom to do whatever he wants. 

I've said this many times, I don't dislike Gray but I do feel that he is still unproven. Assuming all the reports of him saying he wants more game time or he leaves are true, then it really shows you what kind of character he has. 

On 13/08/2017 at 12:38, Redouane said:

What the actual f**k? Barca signed Paulinho for £36.5M. 

If Mahrez doesn't get a bid, this is just proof that nationality plays a big role in the transfer market 

Hero, wouldn't go that far.

I thought he was good enough like I said, we actually attacked and went forward when he came on.

But Mahrez is world class isn't he? Meant to be walking into the likes of the Barcelona team. Gray is learning (Albeit being given limited opportunities to learn) i've admitted and claimed that myself, he has his frailties, i've noted them and willing to give him leeway.

Now i've said Mahrez had a good game today and has done in all 3 games so far but I remember atleast twice today when Mahrez could have dragged it back, but no instead he decided to be selfish (That's what people are calling Gray afterall) and put it across the box to no-one or shoot when he had no chance of scoring but had someone to drag it back to, now I wouldn't normally mention this and the only reason I am is because people are slagging Gray off for similar things.

Archived