Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

7 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Are you a glass half full kind of person or glass half empty kind of person ?

Sometimes think some of the posters on this forum are of the opinion that

not only someone's has had their drink but they've also nicked the glass.

Judging by some on here looks like their glasses contain p1ss, maybe I am different to some of you lot but when we got relegated to the old 3rd division I was angry with my team but still loved them. When we won the Premier league I have never felt so proud in my team memories good and bad that will live with me forever but did I love Leicester more when we won the league don't think I did there has been great times and not so good times but they are still my team 

• Like 1

Yep - 110%

The thing which struck me in our game vs West Brom is how he had identified certain areas we weren't good at before - and how he had made steps to remedy them, for example - our players moved in better ways around Mahrez to allow him more space - something which wasn't happening much at all last season, while Riyad didn't play well himself he also had many occasions where he didn't have much support around him, that combination proved to be a massive blow to his and our season in general last year. Teams responded to us after we won the title and treated us with a lot more respect (ironically teams in the Champions League were actually a year behind in their logic and still viewed us as "little Leicester" - and the first team that took us seriously knocked us out lol) and we didn't take that into consideration with Claudio at the helm, we were caught with our trousers down when teams finally decided that they had to stop us.

He's been trying different systems, systems which we can rotate between quickly and swiftly when required in-game, 4-4-2, to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 - i think he's trying to mould us in a way where we always have an option to change if our normal gameplan isn't working.

To be honest it seems to me like he's working very hard to get us better prepared and better organised, he's not just settling for the Pearson way - he's taking everything he's learned from Nigel (and everywhere else) and now applying it - that is not an easy thing to do and we've only just got back together after the summer break.

While we might not be Premier League champions this year, if we're in the top ten and improving - then we're on the right track.

To use an old catchphrase - Keep the Faith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

he hasn't been trying other systems though, MK dons was the only game they haven't played 442/4411

I'm sure i saw a few in-game switches along the way, although perhaps my streams were dodgy/or loads of players got dragged out of position lol

If i'm wrong there's no worries, still not ready to give up on one of the main men who helped us to the Premier League title just yet lol

Bit hasty. Wait until we're ten minutes into the first game! I'm not overly optimistic but, as wymesy said, as long as he realises his errors and improves I think he'll be okay, but whether he'll have enough respect from the players, not just as a coach but as a possibly struggling manager, is a bit of an open question.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Bit hasty. Wait until we're ten minutes into the first game! I'm not overly optimistic but, as wymesy said, as long as he realises his errors and improves I think he'll be okay, but whether he'll have enough respect from the players, not just as a coach but as a possibly struggling manager, is a bit of an open question.

that's why we needed to move some of the players on to break up the power group there, also because the average of the core is 30+

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

that's why we needed to move some of the players on to break up the power group there, also because the average of the core is 30+

i'm sure some players will be on the move before the deadline closes

It's hard for him when:

A, we're not signing the big names early.

and

B, he's been the coach and has probably been "good cop" for a long time (probably why he brought in Appleton). 

I may may be wrong but he seems to be a great coach but doesn't come across as a manager.  The players haven't shown 100% (or anything close to that).  I know it's pre-season but many of the usual suspects are just going through the motions as if they expect to start the season, regardless of how shit they are.

I like Shakey and would like him to be involved with the club in a coaching capacity for a long time, but, as it stands, think he's in too deep and I fear we're in for a strsssful and disappointing season.

6 hours ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Yep - 110%

The thing which struck me in our game vs West Brom is how he had identified certain areas we weren't good at before - and how he had made steps to remedy them, for example - our players moved in better ways around Mahrez to allow him more space - something which wasn't happening much at all last season, while Riyad didn't play well himself he also had many occasions where he didn't have much support around him, that combination proved to be a massive blow to his and our season in general last year. Teams responded to us after we won the title and treated us with a lot more respect (ironically teams in the Champions League were actually a year behind in their logic and still viewed us as "little Leicester" - and the first team that took us seriously knocked us out lol) and we didn't take that into consideration with Claudio at the helm, we were caught with our trousers down when teams finally decided that they had to stop us.

He's been trying different systems, systems which we can rotate between quickly and swiftly when required in-game, 4-4-2, to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 - i think he's trying to mould us in a way where we always have an option to change if our normal gameplan isn't working.

To be honest it seems to me like he's working very hard to get us better prepared and better organised, he's not just settling for the Pearson way - he's taking everything he's learned from Nigel (and everywhere else) and now applying it - that is not an easy thing to do and we've only just got back together after the summer break.

While we might not be Premier League champions this year, if we're in the top ten and improving - then we're on the right track.

To use an old catchphrase - Keep the Faith

1. Pointless trying to work round Marhez when he's leaving.

2. As per another person has commented, I too haven't noticed all these formation changes.

First management casualty of the season i think.

The up turn when CR left was a natural reaction which gathered momentum but after a while the cracks were quite glaring in the tactical ineptitude and shocking end of season performances.

Preseason has been ground hog day all over again and with our ridiculous tough start i can see us really struggling if we get off to a bad start.

I'm hoping his logic is that there's no point busting a gut playing a high press when we're only in pre season and yet to achieve peak fitness - it could be very detrimental to the player's bodies. I really hope by the Borussia game that we're showing a bit more intensity.

For that stretch of games under Shakey last season we got results because we went back to the high press. I seriously hope that's how he's going to set us up this season because the team is literally incapable of playing any other way.

Edited by Paddy.

I was convinved that Shakey was the right man after he turned around our season but then the last 2/3 performances of the season worried me.

Happy with Maguire, Iborra I think will struggle in a midfield 2. (He was found wanting when out of possession v Luton!!)

Ihaenacho when he eventually signs will hopefully give us a lift but will not be the answer to our problems.

We are desperately short of creativity through midfield going forward.

Drinkwater is a shadow of the PL winning player and constantly still looks for the aimless Vardy ball.

Overloaded with workhorse midfielders that are all similar.

Shakey needs to change the identity of the LCFC team, get players comfortable in possession and a different approach.

with our difficult start to the season I find us struggling and fear he may not see November..

• Like 2

I think he will be alright. He knows how to get the best out of the players we have. He is doing what I expected this preseason and that's experimenting with players and formations. If he had just gone and played the counter attacking football we know we can play, then he wouldn't learn anything and not build a plan B. 

2 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I think he will be alright. He knows how to get the best out of the players we have. He is doing what I expected this preseason and that's experimenting with players and formations. If he had just gone and played the counter attacking football we know we can play, then he wouldn't learn anything and not build a plan B. 

I struggle to see what plan B is because I know for sure there are not enough 'footballers' in our squad that are comfortable with possession based football. 100k a week and can not string together half a dozen passes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rigga said:

I struggle to see what plan B is because I know for sure there are not enough 'footballers' in our squad that are comfortable with possession based football. 100k a week and can not string together half a dozen passes!

I didn't say it would be a good or effective plan B. It's just nice to see that we are trying something different. We can't get by with the long ball all season. We have tried to pass it around and build play slowly, hasn't been effective yet but we are still in preseason so hopefully it will get better. 

Which has been my point...we have a squad full of workhorses and barely any that are comfortable with possession based football.

what I have seen is us pass it around the back...it gets to midfield and drinkwater either looks at the long punt over the top or out other midfielders happily shirk responsibility and give it straight back to our defenders..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Which has been my point...we have a squad full of workhorses and barely any that are comfortable with possession based football.

what I have seen is us pass it around the back...it gets to midfield and drinkwater either looks at the long punt over the top or out other midfielders happily shirk responsibility and give it straight back to our defenders..

This is exactly what it's like.

It will work sometimes and when it does (eg. Liverpool last season) it'll look great....all guns blazing, type thing.

But it won't work all the time, and when it's not working (when the opposition sit deep and give us no space behind) it looks awful.

As you say, the problem is there can't really be any plan B because we don't have the players who look sufficiently comfortable on the ball.

To create a plan b we would need to have a Gylfi type player in the side.