Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

8 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Jeebus, 

If we don't win the opening game against Arsenal (and remember we never, ever, get a result there) this place is gonna be ugly.

Sigh.

Yes we never win at Arsenal ... in our last 20 matches there ... we've lost 17 , drawn 3 and won none of them ... scored 11 and conceded 45.

Don't think there will be a meltdown if we lose there yet again.

Simple answer is no.  Good coaches don't make good managers.  After the performance against Arsenal last April and the humiliation at home to Spurs I was hoping he wouldn't get the job full time.  Even the Bournemouth home game was not pretty.  I don't read into much regarding pre season friendlies however, worryingly we don't look like scoring.  If we lose Mahrez I cannot see anyone else in our team being able to create chances for Vardy or Slimani.  Annoys me when teams like Palace managed to attract the likes of Frank de Bore great coach did good things at Ajax.

• Like 3

I wondered when this would start.

Percentages showed most of the people on the forum were more than happy to have him get the job

It'll be a challenge to see if the team can keep him in a job until Everton 28th October

But the Team will need to show a bit more desire than the one I watched yesterday.

I'm sure we'll be fine but he's really drawn the short straw with the first 7 games

Obviously a slightly silly thread but I do worry about the balance and quality of the squad in places. I think he's keen to please everyone and barely disrupt the playing staff. Harsh truth is 2 or 3 probably need moving on with improvements replacing them. And if Mahrez goes we've basically zero spark.  

9 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I had my doubts about Ranieri this time last season, in fact I had my doubts about Ranieri towards the end of 15/16.  Now there's doubts and there's doubts so what's wrong with opening up a discussion about those they may have those doubts about Shakespeare?

i worry that if the players gave 50% today, that was a total disrespect of the manager and that's a problem. I'm concerned the players are a tight net group that think they have the power to do whatever they like, that in some respects, they're bigger than Leicester city and Shakespeare, after all they may have got rid of the last manager, they could do it again.

I also think, if you don't like the thread I don't think you should comment tbh, what's the point, it's a discussion forum isn't it?

Difficult to take this post with anything other than contempt when you say you had your doubts about Ranieri towards the end of the 2015/16 season.

The period where we extended our lead over other teams behind us to win the PL title by 10 points. 

? ?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

18 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Didn't think he was right long term back when we gave him the job and still don't now. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

This is my sentiment exactly. If he makes me look a fool I will be happy.

Edited by Steven

I wasnt 100% on giving him the job, especially not a 3 year contract, and I am not confident that he will see out the entire season. Think we needed someone with new ideas and authority. I have a feeling hakespeare will make similar mistakes to Ranieri, as well as give game time based on being "a good lad" rather than form/quality.

But I hope he is great. I think he'll keep us up at least.

It's not too early to question.

I'm surprised he got the job at the end of the season. Yes he had 5 miraculous games in a row but they were mostly at home and mostly easy and IMO we won them because certain players who had been drifting through a year of celebration were suddenly being accused of plotting the downfall and firing of one of the nicest managers the world has ever seen. I don't think they were plotting that, I think they were coasting in their own world of champions. Vardy and Fuchs in particular became superheros in that run and it wasn't because shakespeare had found the secret it was through painful shame.

After those 5 games - From Everton onwards we didn't look that good and for that reason we should have brought in a good proven manager and I'm not talking about the likes of Big Sam or Harry Kidnap. We didn't and I'm happy in some ways that Shakey has gotten the chance to prove his worth, but prove it he needs to. Yes it's a tough start to the season but by the end of October he'll be judged and if he's found wanting I hope the "ruthless" owners get another guy in immediately so that he can see whom he needs to be rid of and whom he needs to buy in the annoying January transfer session.

Having said that if Vardy has his billy's boots on, we could be top of the league by the end of October and lauding the Bard of Leicester.

A backup goalkeeper, a replacement CB and another defensive midfielder.  From a creative point of view, he's not making it easy for himself is he?

We're still at least 3 players short of what we need, and at least 3 needed shifting out of the door, but nobody wants them.

He's not changing enough, quickly enough - our last 3 transfer windows including this one haven't been good enough - too many of the starting 11 are 30 or over.

We've barely changed the team in 2 years and we've become far too predictable.

The list goes on and on.

We need fresh ideas, a tactical overhaul and CHANGE.

12 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

A backup goalkeeper, a replacement CB and another defensive midfielder.  From a creative point of view, he's not making it easy for himself is he?

We're still at least 3 players short of what we need, and at least 3 needed shifting out of the door, but nobody wants them.

He's not changing enough, quickly enough - our last 3 transfer windows including this one haven't been good enough - too many of the starting 11 are 30 or over.

We've barely changed the team in 2 years and we've become far too predictable.

The list goes on and on.

We need fresh ideas, a tactical overhaul and CHANGE.

Can only agree..

Mendy, Ulloa, Amartey, Morgan, Shinji,Musa should all be sold on.

Fresh approach needed.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Difficult to take this post with anything other than contempt when you say you had your doubts about Ranieri towards the end of the 2015/16 season.

The period where we extended our lead over other teams behind us to win the PL title by 10 points. 

? ?

It was obvious our style of play changed as we stood off more, became more defensive going for the 1 nil win, it worked but it was observed the players didn't look comfortable with it, I wasn't calling for Ranieri to be sacked or anything, it just looked like he was trying to impose a style that wasn't going to work with the players we had which gives you that nagging doubt, commentators and pundits picked up on it and I'd rather have been wrong, football after all is great for differences of opinion. Ranieri's tactics may have been what we needed at that time to get us over the line, we'll never know but carrying it through to the 16/17 pre-season it became more obvious things weren't right but many saying then that it's only pre-season and is meaningless, I'm sure you have a different opinion though.

Sure I heard Stowell on the radio this morning harping on about winning the title with plenty of 1-0 wins.  I was half asleep at the time, so if I am wrong, someone please correct this.  He went on to say that if Vardy had scored his chance yesterday, another one nil win would have sufficed as if to suggest that's all that is needed.

Hardly inspiring though is it?

If this is the mindset, are we looking to change anything at all?!?!  What worked two years ago, will still work now.  Apparently.

There has been a stalinesque rewriting of history in some of the descriptions of the end of last season in here.

We were robbed of a few points by some dire reffing decisions.

We were a bawhair away from finishing 8th.

Shakespeare took charge with us in the bottom 3 and in free fall. He worked wonders.

With a few acquisitions, who knows what he can achieve this season.

• Like 1

A bit speechless with regards to the haste this topic has popped up with. A few dodgy results in pre-season and we've come to this?

It's our first full pre-season under Shakespeare and if I remember correctly, most fans were happy that he was given the job. It felt a logical step, he knows the team well, knows the club well, plus he's English (very important for a lot of hardcore fans, wasn't it?)..

To the ones saying "good coaches don't make good managers" - remind me again how we fared under Shakespeare after Ranieri was axed? Didn't Shakespeare pull us out of the relegation misery zone? He won 50% of his first 16 matches in charge and pulled off a great feat with four straight wins at the beginning of his managerial career at LCFC.

To judge Shakespeare, you'll have to see what he can do over the course of a full season. If he wasn't worth it, why give him a three-year contract in the first place?

All in all, this thread is about a year too early and reeks of knee-jerkism.

• Like 2

Tbh think the owners will have more patience than most of the posters on this forum.

A 2-5 point haul is quite realistic from the opening seven fixtures.

But other clubs will be in the same boat , for example Stoke have arguably an even tougher set of opening fixtures.

The table should have evened out more by the time we hit the festive period.

I don't think the owners are particularly trigger happy and remember in the great escape season they still

stuck with Pearson when we had the grand total of 19 points from 29 games !!

As MC says above - but ten times more

we  are a team that thrives on our intensity - we did ok in Hong Kong against Liverpool in a game we half cared about.  At wolves in a game we care nothing about we are going to be off the pace.  Similar for the guys at mk dons where two of the players had only been back in training for five days.

at least give it until the back end of September (also bearing in mind the tough nature of fixtures we have) before questioning the manager. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Sure I heard Stowell on the radio this morning harping on about winning the title with plenty of 1-0 wins.  I was half asleep at the time, so if I am wrong, someone please correct this.  He went on to say that if Vardy had scored his chance yesterday, another one nil win would have sufficed as if to suggest that's all that is needed.

Hardly inspiring though is it?

If this is the mindset, are we looking to change anything at all?!?!  What worked two years ago, will still work now.  Apparently.

....not without a certain little magician in midfield it won't!