Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

I personally wouldn't have gave him the job in the first place which I said at the time. I just thought this was a good opportunity for us to go in a different direction and bring in a new man with different ideas and no loyalties to the current squad.

However it's far too early to get on Shakey's back just because we lost to a Championship side in a friendly. If we sign Maguire and Iheanacho then that's an upgrade on what we have and to keep progressing you have to sign players better than what you already have.

I'm still not sure Iborra will be anything but an average buy unless he has a specific role in mind for him. If he come here to play in a midfield two then I don't think he improves us at all in an area we're already loaded in with decent players. If he plays in a midfield three as the holding player I think that might his niche.

10 hours ago, Jimmy said:

he hasn't been trying other systems though, MK dons was the only game they haven't played 442/4411

Eh... we definitely switched formations against West Brom and Liverpool. It was three at the back with wing backs in the second half of the first game. 

I've never thought he was the right man since the Madrid games. They proved the sort of of mentality he has and everything since has reinforced this.

He is just way too negative and doesn't really have any sort of philosophy in terms of style of play. He has no tactical understanding of the game.

• Thanks 1

Nope. And he will get found out very quickly.....remember in those games under Pearson where we just looked like we were going nowhere...well... Shakey was stood by his side...I do love Shakey, but in the capacity of a number 2....we should have put sentiments aside and attempted to go for an established manager, Craig may prove me wrong, but I can't see it...yet again the recruitment has been dire with the exeption of Maguire, and on the pitch there's little evidence of progression. 

6 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I've never thought he was the right man since the Madrid games. They proved the sort of of mentality he has and everything since has reinforced this.

He is just way too negative and doesn't really have any sort of philosophy in terms of style of play. He has no tactical understanding of the game.

He certainly wasn't negative in the Madrid game. Second half we played a genuine 3-4-3 and bombarded them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I'm concerned that the early games after CR's departure was them going back to the higher press further up the pitch and sheer determination. Since that period ended I've been concerned at the way Shakey sets up without style or creativity - it honestly reminds me of the no plan B Pearson era. 

Our team need need to be fitter and hungrier than the opposition - it's the only way we know how to win and there are signs of it but without the movement and one touch football.

Saying Shakey has no tactical understanding of the game though @Kitchandro is just ridiculous and makes you look silly.

I will acknowledge that I've been very concerned by Shakey's appointment but think he deserved the shot and was the best man in a difficult moment for the job. I really do wonder though if he'll be our manager at the end of the season.

38 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Elsewhere...

Watford drew with Woking and lost to Wimbledon

Swansea lost to Barnet

Newcastle drew with Preston

Southampton drew with Brentford

Liverpool drew with Wigan

Stoke lost to Sheffield Utd

SACK 'EM ALL!

You forgot WBA 2-1 loss Bristol Rovers :whistle:

I think  ?

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He certainly wasn't negative in the Madrid game. Second half we played a genuine 3-4-3 and bombarded them.

Oh right so that's ok, we played 3 negative halves and then he was so brave he had a go when we needed 3 goals in 45 minutes. Even then 2 of the 3 substitutes were defenders!

Unbelievable you can twist that into making out he was being positive. The tie was gone before we attacked them.

And who did we bring on with 5 10 minutes to go when we were desperate for 2 goals? AMARTEY lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

Oh right so that's ok, we played 3 negative halves and then he was so brave he had a go when we needed 3 goals in 45 minutes. Even then 2 of the 3 substitutes were defenders!

Unbelievable you can twist that into making out he was being positive. The tie was gone before we attacked them.

And who did we bring on with 5 10 minutes to go when we were desperate for 2 goals? AMARTEY lol

I've no problem being negative in Madrid. We were relatively successful there as apart from the first 20 mins they never really threatened us and they only won with a penalty that should never have been.

Going into the second leg 1-0 down it was more beneficial for us to keep the score at 0-0 for as long as possible than it was them. 0-0 would only start swinging in their favour after the 60-70 minute mark. When we did go 1-0 down we did everything we could to score and considering I thought the tie was dead when they scored I thought we really had them a bit worried at some point.

I would have brought on Gray rather than Amartey as at that point tactics were out the window and Gray can do something out the ordinary but I'm sure Shaky had his reasons.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

A backup goalkeeper, a replacement CB and another defensive midfielder.  From a creative point of view, he's not making it easy for himself is he?

We're still at least 3 players short of what we need, and at least 3 needed shifting out of the door, but nobody wants them.

He's not changing enough, quickly enough - our last 3 transfer windows including this one haven't been good enough - too many of the starting 11 are 30 or over.

We've barely changed the team in 2 years and we've become far too predictable.

The list goes on and on.

We need fresh ideas, a tactical overhaul and CHANGE.

Agree and disagree with bits of this. Personally only think we need 2 exciting new signings and we're in a very strong position, but you're right in that he's coming across as very conservative and we could become painfully boring to watch. Also can't believe we're not at least experimenting with different systems, especially as there seem to be ones that suit our squad better. 

19 minutes ago, Rigga said:

We were praised in the home leg v Athletico for having a go.

The truth was though that we were really quite defensive early on, waited for them to score, then we had a go when it was way too late

It was the right tactic though. Remember Atletico were heavy favourites to qualify as soon as they got paired with us in the draw.

After losing the first leg 1-0 which wasn't a terrible result for us it was more beneficial for us rather than them to keep the score 0-0 up until the hour point in Leicester. I remember thinking I'd be more than happy to go in 0-0 at half time and still keep the tie alive. The onus was on them to qualify as the heavy favourites and I'd happily turn it into a crapshoot in the last half hour or so.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Jeebus, 

If we don't win the opening game against Arsenal (and remember we never, ever, get a result there) this place is gonna be ugly.

Sigh.

He needs to beat Brighton. I don't anticipate much from the other three matches early on so failure to win that will be huge.

I don't think that he is the right man for the job.

He has to be partly accountable for the shambles of last season under Ranieri. He was, after all, part of his coaching staff and probably took training every day. When things got really bad, he saw an opportunity for himself, possibly aided by some players (Ulloa, for example, issuing his decree to leave the club in January and, now that Ranieri has left, it seems as though he is going to get an extension to his contract despite being woefully inept at the top half of the Premier League level) he engineers the end of CR and assumes the crown himself - a sort of King Richard III move!

I don't like the appointment of Appleton. I fail to see why he signed Iborro (before one of the games against Seville, I watched one of their games in La Liga. I remember thinking that Iborro only got into their side because he had been there for years and was their captain -  a sort of Wayne Rooney scenario at Man Utd in recent years.

Why hasn't Shakey shown the door to the likes of King, Ulloa, Musa and James?

Having Shakey at the helm no doubt made up Mahrez's decision that he wanted to leave. He's hardly a stand out, top class manager! Imagine Mahrez filling in his CV - worked under Claudio Ranieri, then, erm, Craig Shakespeare (interviewer - 'who's he, and did your career take a nose dive?').

If we are struggling by the 10 match mark, I think the owners should get rid. The only problem could be all of the money wasted on transfers -  a Peter Taylor moment?!

Edited by 49er

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

He needs to beat Brighton. I don't anticipate much from the other three matches early on so failure to win that will be huge.

Brighton and Huddersfield are the matches for me. It will be telling to see how much motivation the team have against Arsenal et al to see how Shakespeare is managing the team spirit, but if we can beat Brighton and Huddersfield we could pick up from there.

I don't believe Shakey was the owners first choice, if he was he would have been announced pretty soonish after last season ended, but we have to back him more this summer because our first team needs tweaking, yes these players won the league but you don't rest on your laurels we need to improve the first team.

A playmaker, CB, RB, Iheanacho, another striker are a must, otherwise I think we will flirt in the bottom half for the season, not relegation but 12th-15th.

5 minutes ago, 49er said:

I don't think that he is the right man for the job.

He has to be partly accountable for the shambles of last season under Ranieri. He was, after all, part of his coaching staff and probably took training every day. When things got really bad, he saw an opportunity for himself, possibly aided by some players (Ulloa, for example, issuing his decree to leave the club in January and, now that Ranieri has left, it seems as though he is going to get an extension to his contract despite being woefully inept at the top half of the Premier League level) he engineers the end of CR and assumes the crown himself - a sort of King Richard III move!

I don't like the appointment of Appleton. I fail to see why he signed Iborro (before one of the games against Seville, I watched one of their games in La Liga. I remember thinking that Iborro only got into their side because he had been there for years and was their captain -  a sort of Wayne Rooney scenario at Man Utd in recent years.

Why hasn't Shakey shown the door to the likes of King, Ulloa, Musa and James?

Having Shakey at the helm no doubt made up Mahrez's decision that he wanted to leave. He's hard a stand out, top class manager! Imagine Mahrez filling in his CV - worked under Claudio Ranieri, then, erm, Craig Shakespeare (interviewer - 'who's he, and did your career take a nose dive?').

If we are struggling by the 10 match mark, I think the owners should get rid. The only problem could be all of the money wasted on transfers -  a Peter Taylor moment?!

Well it might be that no one wants to sign king, Musa or Ulloa but mentioning James amongst that list is unfair. He was a stand out player for us in our first season back in the PL and I feel he still has something to offer 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Elsewhere...

Watford drew with Woking and lost to Wimbledon

Swansea lost to Barnet

Newcastle drew with Preston

Southampton drew with Brentford

Liverpool drew with Wigan

Stoke lost to Sheffield Utd

SACK 'EM ALL!

But I'm not asking for anyone to be sacked you eijit

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well it might be that no one wants to sign king, Musa or Ulloa but mentioning James amongst that list is unfair. He was a stand out player for us in our first season back in the PL and I feel he still has something to offer 

It's a seller's market. Any player who can kick a ball five yards in a straight line will probably be gone for £10m!

It could be that the only potential buyers are from outside the Premier League, and these three will be earning a tidy wedge despite the fact that they cannot meet the grade at this level.

I reckon, we should be able to get £12m for Musa, £3m for King and £10m for Ulloa.

1 minute ago, 49er said:

It's a seller's market. Any player who can kick a ball five yards in a straight line will probably be gone for £10m!

It could be that the only potential buyers are from outside the Premier League, and these three will be earning a tidy wedge despite the fact that they cannot meet the grade at this level.

I reckon, we should be able to get £12m for Musa, £3m for King and £10m for Ulloa.

If only it was that easy that we could get an automatic buyer for every player we don't want.

Unfortunately in the real world you'll find we have many offers for the players we value and not many offers for the players we don't.

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Tbh think the owners will have more patience than most of the posters on this forum.

A 2-5 point haul is quite realistic from the opening seven fixtures.

But other clubs will be in the same boat , for example Stoke have arguably an even tougher set of opening fixtures.

The table should have evened out more by the time we hit the festive period.

I don't think the owners are particularly trigger happy and remember in the great escape season they still

stuck with Pearson when we had the grand total of 19 points from 29 games !!

That would be a disaster. Brighton and Huddersfield and Bournemouth are in those 7 fixtures, we should be getting 7 or 9 from those 3 fixtures alone and Liverpool at King power really should be a win.

If we don't get minimum 7 from the first 7 that's poor. I'd hope we'd be getting double figures. We were league champions by 10 points just the season before last!!!