Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

12 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

Because we dont have the players for it. James is injured, Iborra is not match fit after his injury and Silva cant play due to FIFA doing things by the book for the first time in their history.

But we have, he insists on playing king, why not play him in a 3 with Iborra( who Shakespeare says is ready) and nididi, better that than being over run, because king isn't good enough for a two and goes missing.

It appears people are hidingfrom the fact/ making excuses for Shakespeare, he is a great coach but isn't tactically prepared to be a manager, and cannot or will not adapt and learn, and is over loyal to the players who are letting him down.

Edited by Monsell1976

To be fair to CS there's been absolutely no strategy at the club since we won the league, noone seems able to grasp how to make progress. I think there needs to be overhaul at all levels because we are severely regressing.

CS is not the right coach though.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

Ranieri doing well elsewhere doesn't mean we were wrong to sack him.

Shakespeare not being an adequate replacement does not mean we were wrong to sack Ranieri.

(and yes I know you didn't say that it did)

I'll say it.  We were wrong.  Ranieri's biggest defect is his strength.  He makes teams overachieve.  The next year they just can't keep the pace...but he's capable of fixing it (he's done it before).  I wish we'd given him one more year. 

We we were just too impatient and we bought the shite the English press said about him! 

I'll  head you off at the pass:  NO!  No team of his has ever been relegated.  

12 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I'll say it.  We were wrong.  Ranieri's biggest defect is his strength.  He makes teams overachieve.  The next year they just can't keep the pace...but he's capable of fixing it (he's done it before).  I wish we'd given him one more year. 

We we were just too impatient and we bought the shite the English press said about him! 

I'll  head you off at the pass:  NO!  No team of his has ever been relegated.  

My guess is it had less to do with what the English press said about him (his press post title win and even more so post sacking was very positive) and a lot more to do with his teams performances and results.

I don't think we were too impatient at all and we could well have been the first team of his to be relegated.

Anyway, Shakespeare is not the right short or long-term replacement.  I don't see him growing in to the role and the sooner we cut ties the better in my opinion.

1 minute ago, chicagofox said:

My guess is it had less to do with what the English press said about him (his press post title win and even more so post sacking was very positive) and a lot more to do with his teams performances and results.

I don't think we were too impatient at all and we could well have been the first team of his to be relegated.

Anyway, Shakespeare is not the right short or long-term replacement.  I don't see him growing in to the role and the sooner we cut ties the better in my opinion.

Well I agree with you in that.  Shakey wasn't my man.  But I'm still willing to give him more time.

I believe going from Ranieri to Shakey was not a step up.

I suspect that someone is giving Top some bad advice...probably the same person that couldn't get the paperwork on Adrien Silva on time! 

36 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Some of our football in the title winning season was breathtaking. We had the chance to push on and become a top six/four club but we have fuched that up and are back as relegation candidates once more. 

Shocking. Shocking .........

And everyone at the club; owners, upper-level management, team management, coaches, and players are all collectively responsible for that monumental fcukup.

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

To be fair to CS there's been absolutely no strategy at the club since we won the league, noone seems able to grasp how to make progress. I think there needs to be overhaul at all levels because we are severely regressing.

CS is not the right coach though.

I believe he is a good coach but he is not in no way and never will be a good premier league manager.

Its so concerning what you hear coming out of the club the players and Shakespeare genuinely think a point at Bournemouth is a good result.  Jesus you couldn't make it up.  It was painful to watch today we were that bad.  Vardy isolated up front, no midfield and hoof from the back.  Appleton and Shakespeare on the sidelines scratching their heads.  In a way its a good job Bournemouth cant finish cos anyone else, today would have had a hatful.  We are fast becoming a joke.  Everything seems to be a systematic failure, from the boardroom down.  The failure to bring in Silva, Iborra not playing over Andy bloody King wtf, Players not given a chance, strange tactics, strange substitutions.  I genuinely cant see where the next win is going to come from.  We truly are in a relegation fight this season.

• Like 1

Why the fick is Andy King in the starting 11 or even still at the club? 

Yes, thanks Andy you did your best for us in the past and I don't blame you for being on the team sheet it's down to Shakey that he's choosing to play you, with your limitations, but I'm sorry, you just don't cut it anymore.

This is one just reason I feel Craig should step aside. 

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Haven't skimmed through this thread but today confirmed my growing fear that he isn't really up to it. 

I cannot work out for the life of me what we're even trying to achieve. We're trying to reinvent football as if you don't even need a midfield. The lack of movement is astounding. The passing is the worst in the league by a distance and I'd say the majority of the Championship too. There's no imagination, there's no energy, there's no ambition until we're given a rocket up our arse. A part of me actually wanted Bournemouth to score just so we woke up.

I don't think he's commanding the respect of the players personally. I don't see the effort that was there back when he took over. I don't see players busting their bollocks for this team with the exception of a couple. I don't see any quality what so ever.

That we've drawn again papers over the cracks massively, because a point away from home isn't a disaster - but it isn't particularly good either. We created the joint lowest number of chances in the whole league today and we were playing a side who ship loads of goals. You can't talk pre-season about ambition and wanting to push for Europe and then treat ****ing Bournemouth like they're Barcelona.

You have got to seriously question the club when we're happy to pay out £12mil for Iborra and then not deem him a better option than Andy King. How on earth has that happened? Either Shakespeare's massively over-rating King or we massively over-rated Iborra, because something's not right there.

Then you go on to the insistence to stick to this 4-4-2 at every possible cost. It hasn't worked properly since Kante left. It's absolutely clear as day. 2 wins in 25 away games tells you its own story. There is nowhere near enough tangible benefit that playing 4-4-2 is bringing us now to justify not even attempting to get anything out of our new signings. Are the new signings the problem, or are the tactics? Or even both? I think Iheanacho will flop here. I think it'll be another Slimani situation. I think Dragovic will do well to get double figures for games and I think Silva is a write off now until January. The recruitment looked good on paper. On the pitch I'm not sold.

I don't doubt his credentials as a coach (although some of our football is so bad it makes you wonder) but I don't think he's a manager. As someone who wanted him appointed and was happy to get behind him, I admit I was probably wrong. I think the doubters are right about him, sadly.

For me it smacks of the same insistence that "I'm the manager therefore I'm right" that Roy Hodgson had. Isn't Shakespeare a Hodgson protégé?

It certainly seems to me that we're playing the same dull. uninspiring, side to side, defensively minded. unimaginative football the England played under Hodgson.

We need an inspirational character to inspire players who fall well below the level they need to be.

I was a big supporter of Claudio but, ultimately I agree he had to go. Now we're in the same, if not worse position, than a year ago with a manager who is a midget compared to Ranieri in terms of football management experience.

If he stays we have absolutely no hope of avoiding relegation.

Edited by Parafox

I think he's trying to hold together every last bit of what we had a couple of years ago and it's ultimately starting to fall apart.

I would love nothing more for him to turn it around, but I've seen far too many worrying characteristics to think that he will. I've given him the benefit of the doubt many a time and I still think there is more than just him at fault, but that earlier was just abysmal. Huddersfield all over again, somehow even more lucky and somehow even less quality. There's only so many times that can happen before you realise he hasn't got it.

Right now all I can see is a drab draw or defeat at home to West Brom (although I think we could have PSG's side and we'd still manage to lose that 1-2) and then another game like Huddersfield and Bournemouth at Swansea where our luck runs out, we lose 1-0 and he gets the boot.

It ain't good.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think he's trying to hold together every last bit of what we had a couple of years ago and it's ultimately starting to fall apart.

I would love nothing more for him to turn it around, but I've seen far too many worrying characteristics to think that he will. I've given him the benefit of the doubt many a time and I still think there is more than just him at fault, but that earlier was just abysmal. Huddersfield all over again, somehow even more lucky and somehow even less quality. There's only so many times that can happen before you realise he hasn't got it.

Right now all I can see is a drab draw or defeat at home to West Brom (although I think we could have PSG's side and we'd still manage to lose that 1-2) and then another game like Huddersfield and Bournemouth at Swansea where our luck runs out, we lose 1-0 and he gets the boot.

It ain't good.

His pyjama's have 4-4-2 embroidered on the pocket and his teddy is called Woy.

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nigel Graham Pearson said:

Turns out hiring a bloke who’s never managed before because he was able to energise a bunch of his mates for a few games probably wasn’t the best move. Shocking. 

Aha... "Thai money men get found out for actually being ignorant about English football and realise that money isn't the yellow brick road to success and decide enough is enough and move to finance a lowly American football team where they can milk cash for 3 years before moving on to a Chinese venture that will pay them in helicopters for four years" shocker.

1 hour ago, Worthington said:

Your point regarding away games is totally true Dan! When winning the league and including the 'Great Escape' run in, we were comfortably the most impressive 'away' team in the PL... Newcastle, Swansea, Man City.. all swept away on their own turf by a team with belief...Sadly, that self confidence has totally disappeared... we now consider a point at Bournemouth, however undeserved, as an 'achievement'...(well, at least those at the club do) !

In agreement with your other points too... Particularly regarding the 'new' signings. I can't see the current CS regime giving them a fair crack of the whip....I fear we'll stick with 'Craig's mates' until the inevitable axe falls !

We were fantastic away from home. I remember us going to West Ham, the ground we had one of the worst records any club will have at another in the whole country, and totally outclassing them for most of the game. Going to West Brom, Swansea, Everton, Newcastle and winning comfortably, going away to Man City, probably the best home side in the country at the time and absolutely shredding them.

I know it was unlikely for us to repeat anything like that, but the regression has been something else. I think we are a poorer team in 2017 than we were in 2014. I'm deadly serious. How on EARTH has that been allowed to happen, via a league title?

There's a massive culture of unaccountability at Leicester. The Silva fiasco is an absolute disgrace and makes us look like a bunch of complete jokers. It's not just the fact we're short of a midfielder and he's in limbo in what could possibly be his last ever World Cup - but what on earth are prospective new signings going to think of us? I think the whole situation massively weakens our position in future. We're becoming West Ham.

2 wins in 25 away games is a complete disgrace, even Burnley have bettered that.

I think our future looks bleak, I really do, it runs deeper than Shakespeare.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Koke said:

I rate Howe but he has an area of major concern. His big money transfers  (£10m+) have been average at best, failures at worst. He still relies on players he signed from Woking and Hereford that got Bournemouth promoted. 

At Leicester he would get a lot of money and probably waste it even more than we currently have. 

Yeah totally get that and I agree..... My idea would be to get in a new DOF to work with him. To ensure we're getting the right players and not overspending for them.