Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

4 minutes ago, mod hero said:

They'll be loads on here who disagree with Rodgers but I think he would do a great job here. 

Knows the league, decent record and done a great job at Celtic regardless of the quality in that league. 58 games unbeaten is ridiculous at any level.

He would be realistic I think but champs league is a factor.

Very possibly, that is a bit of a fly in the ointment!

3 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Whilst Shakespeare is clearly out of his depth i think there are far greater problems at Leicester City.

Our owners are legends of the highest order but i think they are badly advised. There is something very rotten within the club sitting between the day to day playing and management teams and the ownership level and i have thought so for a long time.

With Shakespeare we are going to get relegated that much is clear, sadly he is devoid of the tactical prowess required to compete in this league and has that same stubborn outlook on formations and selections that pearson did. On the positive side of things he is an amazing coach which is something that Appleton seems to lack and again shows a lack of experience appointing some one with zero credibility other than one good season at Oxford.

We have wasted millions on players that must be very fed up. Nacho is 25m down the drain the way he is utilised and we wont get the best out of him until we change the way we play. Iborra is also wasted in our dysfunctional midfield as it is.

To be honest i think the owners need to cull rudkin, whelen and shakespeare and start again with a truly credible DoF who has the power, experience and credibility to make suitable management and player appointments. With every week that passes since we won the league we are regressing further and further and whilst the champions league run was out of this world it was built on the most part through sheer determination.

I completely agree with all you have said. 

I really don't like Rodgers as a bloke but he's a decent manager, I'm not sure if he'd see us a step down though 

As for AVB we don't have defenders that can play a high line, not likely he'd be the best fit although he is a good manager. 

Ideally I'd like us to go for a younger manager, once again Marco Silva would have been perfect.

Edited by Wookie
  • Like 1

Unfortunately there's numerous issues at the club. 

We have a manager that won't change enough tactically to move us forward or give new signings an opportunity and time to improve us. 

We have our best player that doesnt want to be here, our main two midfield players from recent seasons have been sold and then there is this fiasco with adrien silva. Somebody at the club needs shooting for letting this silva deal go on as late as it was.... Simply a disgrace. 

Edited by chris_lcfc_85
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Haven't skimmed through this thread but today confirmed my growing fear that he isn't really up to it. 

I cannot work out for the life of me what we're even trying to achieve. We're trying to reinvent football as if you don't even need a midfield. The lack of movement is astounding. The passing is the worst in the league by a distance and I'd say the majority of the Championship too. There's no imagination, there's no energy, there's no ambition until we're given a rocket up our arse. A part of me actually wanted Bournemouth to score just so we woke up.

I don't think he's commanding the respect of the players personally. I don't see the effort that was there back when he took over. I don't see players busting their bollocks for this team with the exception of a couple. I don't see any quality what so ever.

That we've drawn again papers over the cracks massively, because a point away from home isn't a disaster - but it isn't particularly good either. We created the joint lowest number of chances in the whole league today and we were playing a side who ship loads of goals. You can't talk pre-season about ambition and wanting to push for Europe and then treat ****ing Bournemouth like they're Barcelona.

You have got to seriously question the club when we're happy to pay out £12mil for Iborra and then not deem him a better option than Andy King. How on earth has that happened? Either Shakespeare's massively over-rating King or we massively over-rated Iborra, because something's not right there.

Then you go on to the insistence to stick to this 4-4-2 at every possible cost. It hasn't worked properly since Kante left. It's absolutely clear as day. 2 wins in 25 away games tells you its own story. There is nowhere near enough tangible benefit that playing 4-4-2 is bringing us now to justify not even attempting to get anything out of our new signings. Are the new signings the problem, or are the tactics? Or even both? I think Iheanacho will flop here. I think it'll be another Slimani situation. I think Dragovic will do well to get double figures for games and I think Silva is a write off now until January. The recruitment looked good on paper. On the pitch I'm not sold.

I don't doubt his credentials as a coach (although some of our football is so bad it makes you wonder) but I don't think he's a manager. As someone who wanted him appointed and was happy to get behind him, I admit I was probably wrong. I think the doubters are right about him, sadly.

this in a nutshell top post

21 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Its for sure tending to edge that way. 

Performance for me today was just horrible, i cannot understand from the previous games this season why must he continue with 442 when its obvious to everyone it just isnt working.. Maybe the new manager will read FT and pick up a few tips :D 

The sad part for me is when he does get sacked, we will lose a great coach... but its looking more and more likely each game. 

Very lucky today to come away with a point. If i was a Bournemouth supporter i would feel robbed. 

Sadly we do lose a great coach yes unless some sort agreement can be made. However that is very unlikely... 

I just hope it's done before his reputation gets tarnished as what he has achieved with us is unbelievable and he should be celebrated always. I'm afraid his stint as manager will be remembered far more than his time coaching just like some seem to think more of the ranieri of last season than the miracle man of the one before.

My fear now is we can easily slide into the short-termism that has completely destroyed Sunderland. Appointments made to stave off relegation, a slew of poor big money signings with each new regime, massive increases in wage bills and a poisonous dressing room culture that effectively decides squad selection. It's not far-fetched and something to be very weary of once Shakespeare is sacked.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, moseeds said:

My fear now is we can easily slide into the short-termism that has completely destroyed Sunderland. Appointments made to stave off relegation, a slew of poor big money signings with each new regime, massive increases in wage bills and a poisonous dressing room culture that effectively decides squad selection. It's not far-fetched and something to be very weary of once Shakespeare is sacked.

Exactly my thoughts ...   Patience is required until Shakespeare has a full fit squad to choose from and if necessary make changes  (formation etc) ...    and at the risk of repeating myself it's not his fault we let our 2 best midfielders piss off and signed a possible replacement that can't play ....

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

For whatever reason it is just not happening for us right now, letting Arsenal back into the game when we had it wrapped up was a blow and the midfield and team has not looked the same since.

As much as I like and respect what Shakey has done for us, he is clearly out of his depth atm.

We are 2 years out of date, we have not progressed one single bit since the title win, has to go imo the midfield is an absolute bomb scare

The Arsenal match was a strange one when on 82 mins when we were 3-2 up he takes off Matty James for Iheanacho. I'm convinced he planned to bring on Iheanacho regardless and this superseded the need to close out the game.

19 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Exactly my thoughts ...   Patience is required until Shakespeare has a full fit squad to choose from and if necessary make changes  (formation etc) ...    and at the risk of repeating myself it's not his fault we let our 2 best midfielders piss off and signed a possible replacement that can't play ....

An excuse, Watford, Burnley and many more are doing fine. 

Wasn't he suppose to be the choice who galvanised the players, yet they still want to leave.

Let be honest we could have and probably should have been beaten by a poor Bournemouth and a newly promoted Huddersfield.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Let be honest we could have and probably should have been beaten by a poor Bournemouth and a newly promoted Huddersfield.

And we could have beaten Arsenal and had a point off Liverpool ..    cudda wudda shudda ...

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And we could have beaten Arsenal and had a point off Liverpool ..    cudda wudda shudda ...

Except that would have been knicking a result with how we played for the majority of the match, where as Hudders would have but for a questionable offside, Bournemouth would have but for some profligacy and a questionable handball decision. Be fair, the only points we've warranted were the win vs Brighton.

Well clearly as there are no rumours about his job being at risk we will have to persevere with 442 and hoof ball. As I keep saying, I want him to be a success but I can't see it and I don't want things to be left too late as relegation will be an absolute disaster and that I fear will happen if we don't change something. 

6 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

ladbrokes told me they closed the market as they believe a sacking is imminent.

They closed the entire next manager to leave market (not just shakespeare, so could be any manager).

I am surprised they disclosed that info over the phone.

Koeman is my guess.

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Ok bin him now and get in ....  ??    Who wants to come here ??    Do we have someone lined up ??  

We'll end up with some has been plank and things will turn to sh1te ...   Then Nige will come back to rebuild.

The owners should have a plan B but let's give them some time to do it properly ..   And Shakey some time to turn things round.

So we stick with a never has been plank instead?

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Haha really, we couldn't beat Arsenal when they where play 3 leftback as centre half. They were there for the taking but we couldn't defend long balls into the box.  

I will give you Liverpool...

5 hours ago, deep blue said:

Amazing how much can change in just 14 seconds.

yes in that time, on odds checker most of the odds just vanished, only paddy and betfair stayed.

ladbrokes claimed they killed the odds last night, but they were definitely there when i deposited the money.

As if by magic they reappeared now for some bookies, but still blank for ladbrokes.

Edited by Chrysalis

I'll hold my hand up as someone who thought that appointing Shakespeare would provide continuity and be a less risky option than getting an outsider who might upset the applecart.

Clearly we now need a completely fresh start by appointing a new manager strong enough to take a fresh look at the players we have and get them organised into a proper team.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

If we going to get rid it has to not be too late.

We want a new manager to have the power to change the first team as needed, this means he needs to be in place BEFORE the january window, not AFTER.

Probably give december to assess the players we have, and then the freedom to make the changes he wants in january to see the season out and full on changes the following summer.

I agree there is a problem below the owners as well which is likely rudkin, possibly also the CEO.

This would give shakespeare until end of November to turn it around and the owners two months to look for a replacement, which is another thing they get wrong, shrewd owners find their replacement before sacking a manager, so there is not a silly long gap with the team managerless.

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

The plonker will still field 442 with a fully fit squad. He'd not be the first manager to have injuries, the skill is organising what you have into a system that works with what's available. He doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow!

• Like 1

I must confess, the level of sheer animosity towards Shakey on here, has surprised even myself.

The masses have him pretty much hung, drawn and quartered...

The forum seems to be deciding that such and such a player and now, the manager, is either sensational or useless with ever increasing impatience and haste.

Maybe it's a sign of modern day fandom, but the bloke to take us forward, just a couple of months ago, is now seemingly a pariah. Shakey is now apparently 'a plonker' or 'Mr Pilsbury Dough'? Or perhaps worse.

Fascinating stuff.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I must confess, the level of sheer animosity towards Shakey on here, has surprised even myself.

The masses have him pretty much hung, drawn and quartered...

I wouldn't say its animosity in a literal sense. I just think people are starting to look past sentimentality and are now seeing a very limited manager who's

really struggling. 

As fans we went through this last year and the similarities between the situations mean theres just no patience left because we know where this rut leads.

• Like 1