Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

16 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Keep it in perspective. Belgian 1st Division B v EPL!!

13 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

And look where Ranieri's Nantes are.

Keep it in perspective. French Ligue 1 v EPL.

Ligue 1 barr PSG is pretty poor, so is the EPL imo, but it's towers above Ligue 1.

Take nothing away from Ranieri though, fair play, but as history will tell you, he always does well in his first season though doesn't he.

Edited by Matt

3 hours ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

The biggest problem facing City is a complete lack of footballing identity. I genuinely could not tell you what our aims, methods and tactics are. A clearly defined and understood philosophy is prerequisite for footballing success. It should determine our training and player purchases.  

If you ask any decent manager, they could clearly define their footballing mantra. Could CS?

We definitely have an identity and a style of play and the whole world knows it and knows what to do about it. 

All apart from Shakespeare that is.

The problem is our identity is crap football, long ball hit and hope live by the skin of your teeth style of football.

Sorry Shakey but you have been promoted beyond your capability. Great servant to the club and an awesome job in the first few games. You made the difference to keep us up. But does this ring any bells...

After the sacking of Leicester managerCraig Levein, following 18 months in charge, Kelly stepped up from his Assistant Manager role to take control on a caretaker basis.

In his first ten games in charge his team took 21 points from a possible 30, steering the side up the Championship table and away from the threat of relegation to League One. He was awarded the Championship Manager of the Month award for March 2006. This followed wins over relegation rivals Hull City and Millwall, as well as victory against Luton Town and a creditable draw against Premiership-boundReading. In recognition of his achievements, on 14 April 2006 he signed a one-year rolling contract, confirming his status as manager.

On 11 April 2007 Kelly was sacked due to a poor run of results, his final game being a 3–0 defeat away to Plymouth Argyle. He was replaced by Nigel Worthington until the end of the season.

Edited by On our way...

23 minutes ago, On our way... said:

Sorry Shakey but you have been promoted beyond your capability. Great servant to the club and an awesome job in the first few games. You made the difference to keep us up. But does this ring any bells...

After the sacking of Leicester managerCraig Levein, following 18 months in charge, Kelly stepped up from his Assistant Manager role to take control on a caretaker basis.

In his first ten games in charge his team took 21 points from a possible 30, steering the side up the Championship table and away from the threat of relegation to League One. He was awarded the Championship Manager of the Month award for March 2006. This followed wins over relegation rivals Hull City and Millwall, as well as victory against Luton Town and a creditable draw against Premiership-boundReading. In recognition of his achievements, on 14 April 2006 he signed a one-year rolling contract, confirming his status as manager.

On 11 April 2007 Kelly was sacked due to a poor run of results, his final game being a 3–0 defeat away to Plymouth Argyle. He was replaced by Nigel Worthington until the end of the season.

It's a thing.  I think they call it the Peter Principle.  It applies across many industries but basically says that people who perform well in a role are rewarded by being promoted, until they get to a level where they are out of their depth.  Then they stop being promoted and just carry on doing a bad job until they leave.  

Shakespeare seems to be a good example of this unfortunately. 

I heard Ray Houghton on talk sport this morning, talking about Man City.

Not verbatim, but he said something along the lines of 'the top teams always have so many options when on the ball'. There are usually 6/7 players who shout for it, want it and can be given it.'

THIS imo hits the nail on the head for why we are playing so badly. We have no midfield commander who comes and gets the ball from the defence, with confidence and composure, and we have so few options when on the ball, we just hoooooooooooof......

Unless Mahrez had the ball at feet, for instance, who else do we give it to, to try to set something up?

Its rubbish rubbish football. It's horrible to watch.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I heard Ray Houghton on talk sport this morning, talking about Man City.

Not verbatim, but he said something along the lines of 'the top teams always have so many options when on the ball'. There are usually 6/7 players who shout for it, want it and can be given it.'

THIS imo hits the nail on the head for why we are playing so badly. We have no midfield commander who comes and gets the ball from the defence, with confidence and composure, and we have so few options when on the ball, we just hoooooooooooof......

Unless Mahrez had the ball at feet, for instance, who else do we give it to, to try to set something up?

Its rubbish rubbish football. It's horrible to watch.

But we have a midfielder in the shape of Iborra, who captained a quality team to three (that's 1, 2, 3) Europa League wins.  But he wasn't here two years ago so it's deemed his best position is on the bench!

We have few options coz of the way we are organised 

Shakey has coached fir many teams and myst have seem all this before and wats to get out of it.  Yet he is in a hole and keeps digging.  

I loved what no did for us... but hus tactics were linited in tbe pl and before.... and he was stubborn.  Its line shakes is channelling np.

He is not the guy to take us fwd...the sooner we recognise that the better off we will be.

I hope that after the fiasco of sacking cr with no one in the wings.... that top etc are working on a new regime 

15 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I'll say it.  We were wrong.  Ranieri's biggest defect is his strength.  He makes teams overachieve.  The next year they just can't keep the pace...but he's capable of fixing it (he's done it before).  I wish we'd given him one more year. 

We we were just too impatient and we bought the shite the English press said about him! 

I'll  head you off at the pass:  NO!  No team of his has ever been relegated.  

We saved his CV by sacking him, he should be forever grateful  lol

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I'll say it.  We were wrong.  Ranieri's biggest defect is his strength.  He makes teams overachieve.  The next year they just can't keep the pace...but he's capable of fixing it (he's done it before).  I wish we'd given him one more year. 

We we were just too impatient and we bought the shite the English press said about him! 

I'll  head you off at the pass:  NO!  No team of his has ever been relegated.  

Ay? The way the English press went about it, said about him and us, anyone would have thought we'd shot Bambi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd take villas boas

Weird to think that he's only 39. Feels like he's been around for ages. He's a talented manager who made some shocking errors in previous jobs, you'd hope he has learned from them given he was so young at Chelsea. At Tottenham he actually got a ridiculously high points tally for their standard. However, he did waste the Bale money on utter rubbish. 

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Weird to think that he's only 39. Feels like he's been around for ages. He's a talented manager who made some shocking errors in previous jobs, you'd hope he has learned from them given he was so young at Chelsea. At Tottenham he actually got a ridiculously high points tally for their standard. However, he did waste the Bale money on utter rubbish. 

Should be a good fit here then....lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Think that's more a spurs thing than him tbf - their big money signings are usually naff, even under potchetino (sissoko the prime example)

• Like 1

For whatever reason it is just not happening for us right now, letting Arsenal back into the game when we had it wrapped up was a blow and the midfield and team has not looked the same since.

As much as I like and respect what Shakey has done for us, he is clearly out of his depth atm.

We are 2 years out of date, we have not progressed one single bit since the title win, has to go imo the midfield is an absolute bomb scare

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

I like Shakespeare, but i didn`t think he was the manager to take us forward at the end of last season, and sadly, so far this season i have seen nothing from him to suggest otherwise.

He is basically a coach trying to learn management on the job, in arguably one of the most unforgiving leagues in the world.

He was always going to be a gamble and a long shot, and sadly i believe he is out of his depth.

As i see things now, this is not a matter of if Shakespeare gets the sack this season, but when.

For that reason alone, in my opinion the change should be made now, during the international break.

Whats the point in dithering when we pretty much know it`s only a matter of time.

All that will happen, is the longer it is left, the more uncertainty the players will start to feel, and will probably affect performances to a point where we will be fighting relegation further on into the season, and so make us a less appealing job to a decent manager..

Who do we bring in?

Well i`m sure there are some good managers out there who would be very attracted to the club, but how about Brendon Rodgers?

Yes he is guaranteed Champions league football with Celtic every season, but there is no competitiveness in the Scottish league, to really get the juices going.

He really can`t take them any further, and i would imagine he will still harbour premier league ambitions.

We would be a good fit for him, he is unlikely to get one of the big five or six again at the moment, but we are a club with some fairly lofty ambitions ourselves and are willing to fund the manager, to try and match those ambitions..

I`m sure there will be plenty of detractors on here, who will have good reasons as to why we shouldn`t go anywhere near him, but he done a good job at Swansea and was arguably  a Gerrard slip away from winning the league with Liverpool, so should certainly be considered in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I like Shakespeare, but i didn`t think he was the manager to take us forward at the end of last season, and sadly, so far this season i have seen nothing from him to suggest otherwise.

He is basically a coach trying to learn management on the job, in arguably one of the most unforgiving leagues in the world.

He was always going to be a gamble and a long shot, and sadly i believe he is out of his depth.

As i see things now, this is not a matter of if Shakespeare gets the sack this season, but when.

For that reason alone, in my opinion the change should be made now, during the international break.

Whats the point in dithering when we pretty much know it`s only a matter of time.

All that will happen, is the longer it is left, the more uncertainty the players will start to feel, and will probably affect performances to a point where we will be fighting relegation further on into the season, and so make us a less appealing job to a decent manager..

Who do we bring in?

Well i`m sure there are some good managers out there who would be very attracted to the club, but how about Brendon Rodgers?

Yes he is guaranteed Champions league football with Celtic every season, but there is no competitiveness in the Scottish league, to really get the juices going.

He really can`t take them any further, and i would imagine he will still harbour premier league ambitions.

We would be a good fit for him, he is unlikely to get one of the big five or six again at the moment, but we are a club with some fairly lofty ambitions ourselves and are willing to fund the manager, to try and match those ambitions..

I`m sure there will be plenty of detractors on here, who will have good reasons as to why we shouldn`t go anywhere near him, but he done a good job at Swansea and was arguably  a Gerrard slip away from winning the league with Liverpool, so should certainly be considered in my opinion.

They'll be loads on here who disagree with Rodgers but I think he would do a great job here. 

Knows the league, decent record and done a great job at Celtic regardless of the quality in that league. 58 games unbeaten is ridiculous at any level.

He would be realistic I think but champs league is a factor.