Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lanefox

Mahrez to .......................?

10 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Let him be shocked Muzz, no use having an unhappy player

There is, because he'll realise the only way out is to play like a £50m player. He can't afford to rot on the bench for the best years of his career so at some point he will have to pull his finger out.

5 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Let him be shocked Muzz, no use having an unhappy player

True mate. No player is bigger than the club I suppose...

But part of me thinks that if he's going to fvck off then at least he should fvck off in style and do it properly.

I'm probably still in denial that he really wants to leave us. And also a bit angry that if he's so desperate to go he'd even consider Roma to be a big step up.

If he goes there of all places then it proves that the statement he put out a few weeks back was just a load of old bollux really...

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

True mate. No player is bigger than the club I suppose...

But part of me thinks that if he's going to fvck off then at least he should fvck off in style and do it properly.

I'm probably still in denial that he really wants to leave us. And also a bit angry that if he's so desperate to go he'd even consider Roma to be a big step up.

If he goes there of all places then it proves that the statement he put out a few weeks back was just a load of old bollux really...

I agree bud

i think it was poor personally and clearly there is some truth in various rumours about last seasons shenanigans 

he cleary just wants out

im angry aswell about it bud but also philosophical about it all. I think we should come to an agreement with Roma at least that way he won't play against us for a while  ;)

10 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

There is, because he'll realise the only way out is to play like a £50m player. He can't afford to rot on the bench for the best years of his career so at some point he will have to pull his finger out.

I hope he doesn't Kitch but I can't see it somehow 

just meet in the middle with Roma and get him gone I say 

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Come on mate Roma are a big club...

Or were you being tounge in cheek?

I was being serious mate. I can't see how any metric, measurement or indicator suggests Roma are a big club these days.

If he'd have gone to one of the genuinely big cubs in Europe with a realistic chance of CL success then fair enough - but Roma, really?

Its just a bigger kick in the nuts if he trades us in for them. He can do much better than them IMO but if he's that unhappy here then fvck him.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Serie A used to be great in the 80's and 90's. I loved watching British players going over their to ply their trade and test their wits against the best. 

Remember Gazza scoring for Lazio in the Rome derby and jumping into the crowd? It looked like there were over 80,000 in the ground that day. 

Now Lazio average only 21,000 at home - pathetic. Some lower Serie A teams only average 8-12k gates which is shocking.

Mahrez will be bored shitless if he goes to play in Serie A. He doesn't realise how good he's got it in the PL.

Exactly and that's in a 70+ thousand stadium which Roma fill with an average of under 33000. Add in the running track and West Ham probably have a better atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium. Serie A is really struggling. AC Milan are spending a lot and Juventus are Juventus but those 2 aside its not looking great. Which is amazing considering how it was but why should we have to subsidize Roma by almost 19m? It's nothing like Dzeko who Man city wanted out. We have no need or want to sell Mahrez so they need to pay up or shut up.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much.

As Leicester fans we're used to losing our best players eventually, but this one really hurts.

I fvckin love Mahrez but he's really pissed me off with this.

He's the main man here, adored by us, on a great wedge, and central to our success. How dare he ask to leave the ungrateful fvcker!!

6 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I hope he doesn't Kitch but I can't see it somehow 

just meet in the middle with Roma and get him gone I say 

But why meet them in the middle? Just because Walker wanted to go to Man City Spurs didn't capitulate and take 25m meeting half way they got 45 rising to 50m for him by standing their ground. Why should we be mugged by Roma?  It would screw us long term as every club would see us as a soft touch tap up our best players get them to throw a strop and sign them on the cheap. Every agent for our players would recommend his player do that to get a move it would be the worst decision we could possibly take. Give an inch on this and everyone will take a mile. We are no longer little old Leicester we can sign players like Ihaenacho and Iborra and keep our best talent unless we get the right money for them. We may well have a 42000 seat stadium soon not that our existing capacity is low. And are a side on the up with wealthy owners.  F**k Roma. 

10 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

But why meet them in the middle? Just because Walker wanted to go to Man City Spurs didn't capitulate and take 25m meeting half way they got 45 rising to 50m for him by standing their ground. Why should we be mugged by Roma?  It would screw us long term as every club would see us as a soft touch tap up our best players get them to throw a strop and sign them on the cheap. Every agent for our players would recommend his player do that to get a move it would be the worst decision we could possibly take. Give an inch on this and everyone will take a mile. We are no longer little old Leicester we can sign players like Ihaenacho and Iborra and keep our best talent unless we get the right money for them. We may well have a 42000 seat stadium soon not that our existing capacity is low. And are a side on the up with wealthy owners.  F**k Roma. 

You make a fair point :D

Personally wouldn't sell him no matter what as he is irreplaceable and under contract so I would tell him to knuckle down but I know footballers hold the power.

£50m should be the minimum irrespective of European or U.K. Club imo.

However, having been to watch Roma on a few occasions to suggest they are not bigger than us is ridiculous - they are the biggest club in Rome and have a fanatical following with great facilities including their new training ground with new stadium plans approved. Even the most ardent fan needs to respect and understand that there are European clubs which dwarf us unfortunately.

I don't think he is interested in Roma at all - he wants to get Leicester to agree a price with someone, to set a benchmark for what we would accept - then Wenger will jump in with the same offer.

He's just using Roma to force through his move to Arsenal.

10 minutes ago, ilikelcfc said:

I don't think he is interested in Roma at all - he wants to get Leicester to agree a price with someone, to set a benchmark for what we would accept - then Wenger will jump in with the same offer.

He's just using Roma to force through his move to Arsenal.

I wouldn't sell him to a Premier league rival for any price

he can go to Roma for me or abroad somewhere else

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I cannot imagine that there isn't a contingency in place should Mahrez leave - the club won't be in denial about the possibility.

This ^. The club has known since the end of May that Riyad wants to leave. Surely they must have 2 or 3 potential targets lined up as replacements for when he does leave?

Would be very disappointed if we sell him but don't get one or two creative players in to enhance the squad.

We certainly can't be held to ransom on this one by any club. His selling price needs to reflect the cost to us of replacing him which given his ability and the current market forces is probably in the region of around £70m whether or not Mahrez is worth that is up to the buying club to decide, but Neymar's transfer is going to have a serious impact on prices throughout the remainder of the window with prices increasing significantly. 

The biggest problem that we have is that even if we were to secure a huge transfer fee and then negotiate a similar deal with another club for his successor it'd take some serious money in wages to convince said player that we are a progressive club worth joining having just sold our best player, and even then I'm not certain we could attract someone of with the ability that Mahrez has irrespective of how much money is on the table. Therefore the sale of Mahrez will only make us weaker which puts all parties in a very difficult place right now.

I really believe that soover or later, Roma are going to offer a fee that we agree to. I have a sinking feeling it will be on the last day of the window when they realise we aren't going to fold to their demands which will leave us scurrying for a replacement and end up with a panic by. 

I just want us to have a bit of foresight and sign his replacement before that happens but that would probably lead to Gray leaving.... it's a tricky spot. 

4 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

If he's adamant about leaving, sell him, get Hazard in. Better to do it now and the squad settled early rather than hang on trying to get another £5m, same with DD. 

nvm.

4 hours ago, Bevilacqua said:

I don't think going from Leicester to Roma can be considered a big step forward in someone's career. And I say it as a Roma fan. Clearly at AS Roma you have more chances to play UCL every year and you can enjoy a better lifestyle, but when it comes to winning trophies then, unfortunately for us, you cannot expect to do it. Serie A is recovering but currently the Premier League is on another level. I guess he sees us as an intermediate step to reach the top, as most players do. If he comes, and I doubt it, he'll stay for no more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Exactly. Can't see it otherwise.

If he does go then I hope we ship him off asap and get a replacement in but I can see us selling him in the last week of the transfer window leaving us with no time to find an alternative! 

At the same time if he keeps publicly speaking out about his desire to leave surely he realises the fans will turn against him sooner rather than later 

In defence of Mahrez - At the risk of upsetting quite a few on here, I think he's been pretty decent about the whole thing. If he wants to go, then there is not much we can do about it.

He went public with a respectful and measured statement at the end of the season which gave the club the maximum time to sell and buy a replacement. I assume he was thinking Arsenal/Barca type thoughts and not Roma, but he hasn't spat his dummy, he doesn't seem to have alienated himself with the rest of the team and he has played pretty well in the pre-seasons.

I got annoyed with him last season cos he was pretty poor, but that could be levelled at pretty much all the players, bar Kasper. I don't want to see him go, but if he feels he's achieved all he can with us, and wants to try something different, then so be it.  

If you look at how disruptive Payet was at Wet Spam and the ball ache it caused them, then I think Marhez has been ok.    

I just wish Riyad would have stayed quiet about it, I have no doubt he will, as he says do his best for us when he plays but going public helps no one and has probably contributed to the stupidly low offers we have received, I hope he isn`t suggesting he thinks we should sell him cheaply as I`m sure when he was negotiating his lucrative new deal he was not under valuing himself !

6 minutes ago, mad biker said:

I just wish Riyad would have stayed quiet about it, I have no doubt he will, as he says do his best for us when he plays but going public helps no one and has probably contributed to the stupidly low offers we have received, I hope he isn`t suggesting he thinks we should sell him cheaply as I`m sure when he was negotiating his lucrative new deal he was not under valuing himself !

Do you think he will go in this window mb?

Would be better for all concerned if he does Micky, but the offers simply are not coming in ! it`s still only Roma that have shown any interest at all, Shakes clearly has a bee in his bonnet about him saying he wants to go but in the absence of a decent replacement will continue to play him, pity the Gray that played in the second half at Burton wasn`t there last night :-( 

32 minutes ago, mad biker said:

Agreed. I love the guy but he's acted like a twat and made Leicesters negotiation position a lot more difficult with his public comments -  and thereby actually harmed his chance of moving.

I get it, you shouldn't try to keep players who really want to move. However Mahrez's 'average' season last year means no one's prepared to meet Leicesters minimum price. However, Roma can fvck off for trying to get such a key player on the cheap - and further unsettling him.

Archived