Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lanefox

Mahrez to .......................?

Would be foolish of the football club to not have targets in mind to replace. Given no links to creative midfielders other than the doomed Gylfi bid suggests we're content to keep things as they are. Could get ugly in the final few weeks of the window if we refuse to budge and don't make contingency plans.

22 minutes ago, Bevilacqua said:

I don't think going from Leicester to Roma can be considered a big step forward in someone's career. And I say it as a Roma fan. Clearly at AS Roma you have more chances to play UCL every year and you can enjoy a better lifestyle, but when it comes to winning trophies then, unfortunately for us, you cannot expect to do it. Serie A is recovering but currently the Premier League is on another level. I guess he sees us as an intermediate step to reach the top, as most players do. If he comes, and I doubt it, he'll stay for no more than 1 or 2 seasons.

This. If he's actually serious about going to Roma, it's another stepping stone, but if he's vocally declaring interest in Roma, there is of course a possibility he's trying to force the hand of other prospectives that are also interested.

Thing is, at the end of the day, the club hold the upperhand, despite his protestations. Why should we undersell our asset below market value?

The Neymar transfer will have a knock-on effect. Various big clubs are now chasing big players, and there'll be an opportunity somewhere at the end of the window where Mahrez (not being their first choice) will crop up as the viable option for them, and they'll pay the sum we have asked. It's that simple.

However, I do hope that LCFC will have already have an iron in the fire to replace him. My vote is T. Hazard, but I don't know how feasible that is, or if he'd be interested. Again, he'd be using us as stepping stone, but given his attributes for me he'd be a good replacement.

A big few week for me in our immediate future. I think we need to set a marker down that we are not going to be pushed over (if we have real ambition to grow).  I also think we need to send a message that we are developing and see our future at least as big as clubs like Roma (selling the dream).

For me I would reject the bid and tell Roma that because of their low balling a bid from them will not be considered again this window. If they are really interested then come back with a real bid in January. That may have the impact of missing out on a big bid from Roma, however I don't think that is going to happen (and it would send out a clear message to Mahrez, his agent and any other clubs interested in buying him). 

1 hour ago, desertfox2 said:

If he wants to talk to Roma can he ask them to actually make a decent bid for him? :)

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If you want to talk to Roma mate perhaps you should ask them to stop trying to low ball us.

Keep up Babs ...

Serie A used to be great in the 80's and 90's. I loved watching British players going over their to ply their trade and test their wits against the best. 

Remember Gazza scoring for Lazio in the Rome derby and jumping into the crowd? It looked like there were over 80,000 in the ground that day. 

Now Lazio average only 21,000 at home - pathetic. Some lower Serie A teams only average 8-12k gates which is shocking.

Mahrez will be bored shitless if he goes to play in Serie A. He doesn't realise how good he's got it in the PL.

This dragging on longer than Nacho

If the Gylfi is worth 50 million for free kicks and corners then I'm sorry so is Mahrez and more

Premiership Winner, PFA Winner, Quarter Finals CL and more

On his day he is a World Beater......... I could go on but it would get boring   :thumbup:

If he is going then he needs to go sooner rather than later so we could get a replacement in.  I would rather take £35m now and have 4 weeks to find a replacement than £50m on deadline day with no replacement. 

Whatever happens, please, please, please, please can he stay long enough to smash a hat trick past Arsenal next week.  Honestly, if he does that he can go with my blessing.

All this talk about the size of Roma is neither here nor there ...   He wants to talk to them ..   In reality he just wants out.   Whatever the reason he just wants to go.   He's putting in good performances as he's in the shop window and if he doesn't get a move no one will think too bad of him.   All pretty straightforward.  My hope is that he doesn't go, the team has a great season and that combined with a resolution to whatever the underlying problem is, makes him want to stay longer.   Fingers crossed.

Cue "Roma increase bid by £2m" and standby for another few hundred posts .... 

46 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

They are a big club historically but Italian support has been dwindling, their average attendances last year were around the same as us (under 33000) Haven't won Serie A for 17 years and never won a major European trophy. Last final was in 91 UEFA cup. So yes they are big but could name a load of bigger European sides.

Spot on. And they may well be a 'Champions League club', but are they realistically going to go any further than Leicester did?

5 minutes ago, evil jack said:

Spot on. And they may well be a 'Champions League club', but are they realistically going to go any further than Leicester did?

Probably not but they're in there, and probably will be very consistently over the next few years. 

Roma can fvck off with these bids though, he's not going for the same money as Pickford and fvcking Moussa Sissoko

52 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

According to this UEFA rankings thingy, Roma are 27th behind the likes of Shakhtar Donesk, Zenit and Basel. Hardy a 'big' club in the grand scheme of things.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

And their average home attendance last year was 32,638 which is about the same as ours.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/ita-serie-a-2016-2017/1/

Not really much of a step up is it Riyad :whistle:

Come on mate Roma are a big club...

Or were you being tounge in cheek?

2 minutes ago, Goober said:

Probably not but they're in there, and probably will be very consistently over the next few years. 

Roma can fvck off with these bids though, he's not going for the same money as Pickford and fvcking Moussa Sissoko

They didn't manage to be 'in there' last year though, did they? :)

Smashed out by Porto in the play offs as i recall....

54 minutes ago, nnfox said:

If he is going then he needs to go sooner rather than later so we could get a replacement in.  I would rather take £35m now and have 4 weeks to find a replacement than £50m on deadline day with no replacement. 

I wouldn't as it's highly unlikely Roma (or anyone else) will be prepared to stump up £50m for Mahrez.  

Don't forget also that the Roma bid was only £31.6 AND they also wanted it phasing as a loan to buy. All in all a really shitty deal!

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Serie A used to be great in the 80's and 90's. I loved watching British players going over their to ply their trade and test their wits against the best. 

Remember Gazza scoring for Lazio in the Rome derby and jumping into the crowd? It looked like there were over 80,000 in the ground that day. 

Now Lazio average only 21,000 at home - pathetic. Some lower Serie A teams only average 8-12k gates which is shocking.

Mahrez will be bored shitless if he goes to play in Serie A. He doesn't realise how good he's got it in the PL.

Let him be shocked Muzz, no use having an unhappy player

54 minutes ago, evil jack said:

"Wanting Champions League football".

The reality is unless you're at one of less than a dozen clubs then you're just cannon fodder. The Champions League is important for the really big clubs but if you play for a team like Roma you're just there to make up the numbers.

Our Champions League experience was to play Championship level sides like Bruges and Copenhagen, mid table PL sides like Porto and Sevilla and a good side in Atletico. 

I could name you eight teams in this coming season's QF and probably get about 6 or 7 right.

Archived