Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Come on, The Welsh don't even cross anyone's mind 99% of the time. They are far too insignificant for anyone to not like them. 

Travel around the world a little and no-one dislikes the Welsh. Plenty have a "friendly" dislike of the English.

If you go to the Welsh areas where there's no tourism I've found the dislike for the English not friendly at all but quite aggressive and scary. 

12 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

If you go to the Welsh areas where there's no tourism I've found the dislike for the English not friendly at all but quite aggressive and scary. 

When I said "plenty" I meant plenty of countries.

Any person who has an unfriendly, aggressive and scary dislike of any other nationality is simply an ignorant bigot/racist.

33 minutes ago, FIF said:

When I said "plenty" I meant plenty of countries.

Any person who has an unfriendly, aggressive and scary dislike of any other nationality is simply an ignorant bigot/racist.

I despair of the insular nature of the average Brit - even gap-year travellers tend to go to countries with similar cultures (like Australia) or to countries where other gap-year Brits gather and carry their culture with them (like Thailand). And it's reflected in our education system where learning a language is an optional subject beyond year 7. I've said this before but I think it bears repeating: I would be in favour of a universal travel grant being paid to everyone upon leaving education; it may seem cliched but travel really does broaden the mind. I would also make learning a language compulsory and introduce a subject to the school curriculum along the lines of 'Cultural Studies'.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Buce said:

I despair of the insular nature of the average Brit - even gap-year travellers tend to go to countries with similar cultures (like Australia) or to countries where other gap-year Brits gather and carry their culture with them (like Thailand). And it's reflected in our education system where learning a language is an optional subject beyond year 7. I've said this before but I think it bears repeating: I would be in favour of a universal travel grant being paid to everyone upon leaving education; it may seem cliched but travel really does broaden the mind. I would also make learning a language compulsory and introduce a subject to the school curriculum along the lines of 'Cultural Studies'.

Agree with this, if a situation ever arises where the one foreign language I'm competent at comes in handy any Brits around me will stare with their mouths wide open like they're witnessing a fascinating new creature for the first time.  Meanwhile most of the planet doesn't bat an eyelid at someone knowing 3 or even 4 languages: Usually their mother tongue, a more regionally dominant language and one or two lingua francas depending on where in the world we're talking.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Agree with everything you say here, especially the fact that travel opens the mind, however I think making a language compulsory at school is a waste of time. Just because you have to attend a lesson doesn't mean you are going to learn anything. I've seen this many times at first hand. Kids need to see a reason for the lesson, they won't see the reason for learning a foreign language. This is why languages are so poor for British kids (unless they are immigrants). Better your idea for a Cultural Studies class but make it interesting.

I'm much more for increasing optional courses and removing compulsory courses.

Think the most valued language in the world is English so countries like the UK and the USA are at a disadvantage because they already know the language and most other people's second language is English.

For me, 90% of English I learned is from TV and the internet because I had the chance to. Most great TV programs (the good 'ol days of Top Gear :(), novels, books...etc are in English. The motivation to improve was there and I had a goal to reach.

I think a mandatory second language isn't truly a bad Idea. The problem is, which one (for English speaking countries)

We had French from the 3rd year of elementary school to the last year of highschool and English from the start of middle school to the end of highschool. (Thing differ in university) I'm probably 2/10 in French but I learned enough that I can manage to read a simple paragraph in French and understand it or speak a few words

(can't write though lol). I wished that I paid more intention but the motivation wasn't there (unlike English). But can't lie, French helped me and even provided somewhat of a platform for learning English.

Edited by the fox

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

The Stark family in Game of Thrones are a whiny self centred bunch,and they have deserved everything the Lannister’s have thrown at them.Not including Ned and Jon they’re alright.

What did Bran and Arya do wrong?

The Stark I hate the most is Robb, that guy deserved what happened to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the fox said:

Think the most valued language in the world is English so countries like the UK and the USA are at a disadvantage because they already know the language and most other people's second language is English.

For me, 90% of English I learned is from TV and the internet because I had the chance to. Most great TV programs (the good 'ol days of Top Gear :(), novels, books...etc are in English. The motivation to improve was there and I had a goal to reach.

I think a mandatory second language isn't truly a bad Idea. The problem is, which one (for English speaking countries)

We had French from the 3rd year of elementary school to the last year of highschool and English from the start of middle school to the end of highschool. (Thing differ in university) I'm probably 2/10 in French but I learned enough that I can manage to read a simple paragraph in French and understand it or speak a few words

(can't write though lol). I wished that I paid more intention but the motivation wasn't there (unlike English). But can't lie, French helped me and even provided somewhat of a platform for learning English.

I guess French or German will become more useful after Brexit because they'll probably want to change up the lingua franca in our absence, leaving those two to vie for lingual supremacy in a post-UK EU.  Alternatively Russian or Chinese as superstate languages, Spanish for its wide influence. I'd say Arabic is a good choice but sadly I don't think the nation's ready for that which is a shame because it would do a lot for improving relations if Jim and Dave realised that Mohamed's on the phone to his mum organising the weekly shop and not talking to his Imam about slaughtering the infidels.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Agreed, 99% of them are 'look' passes with a quick head turn as or immediately after their foot makes contact. 

Tbh they've got to initially look otherwise how do they know where to play it?

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Tbh they've got to initially look otherwise how do they know where to play it?

Well yeah, obviously :D I mean that most times someone goes "omg check out the tekkers on that no-look fam" you check the clip out only to see that they're still looking very obviously where they want the ball to go as they move to kick it then turn their head afterwards in a move that's done nothing to muddy the defender's awareness of the play but has somehow wet the pants of tv audiences worldwide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I guess French or German will become more useful after Brexit because they'll probably want to change up the lingua franca in our absence, leaving those two to vie for lingual supremacy in a post-UK EU.  Alternatively Russian or Chinese as superstate languages, Spanish for its wide influence. I'd say Arabic is a good choice but sadly I don't think the nation's ready for that which is a shame because it would do a lot for improving relations if Jim and Dave realised that Mohamed's on the phone to his mum organising the weekly shop and not talking to his Imam about slaughtering the infidels.

Lol thanks for the laugh.

It's a bit tricky, ain't it? For me, Spanish is the safe choice because a lot of countries speak it and if you learn Spanish it becomes a lot easier to learn French or Italian. Chinese is too extream for the tongue and some words are almost impossible to pronounce and don't get me started on the letters. Spanish is safer IMO.

Russian isn't too bad. Arabic is very tricky IMHO and academic Arabic is rarely used outside of formal stuff. In the streets, academic Arabic is used the same way an American person uses middle English. It just sound weird because of the different dialects (no arab country use the academic Arabic outside of formal work or when the dialects are too different and it's the only way for communication). The pure, old Arabic is another beast altogether.

Here is an example on academic Arabic.

Work= العمل (al a'mal. You have to pronounce the a' in a proper way or it will mean "hope" "امل" )

I work (male) = انا اعمل {ana A'amal)

I work (female)= انا اعمل {ana A'amal}

I worked (male) = انا عملت {ana A'milto}

I worked (female)= same thing as male.

Simple, right? Now let's start the fun stuff (this gonna be long so excuse me)

You saw the word "work" [العمل], right? the full written version of it is [العَمَلُ]. You see those little pen strokes, those little things can change how you pronounce a word drastically and in some cases can change the meaning. And there are very similar looking words that are pronounced differently.

Example:

Fugitive= (far) [فار]

A mouse= (fa er) [فأر]

(This example doesn't exactly use pen strokes but rather a different written version of ا which is أ)

The tricky thing is when it becomes a matter of conjugation.

Let's see here.

You (female) worked= عَمِلْتِ {A'milti}

You (male) worked = عَمِلْتَ {A'milta}

(Without those little pen strokes, you won't know if the person you are talking about is a male or a female or what kind of tense the verb is in which is very important).

Now let's try the simple known past tense of the word.

you worked (female in the past tense)=أََنْتِ عَمِلْتِ {anti a'milti} 

you worked (male in the past tense)= أَنْتَ عَمِلْتَ {anta a'milta}

In conclusion, Arabic is very complicated and hard but it is artistic and beautiful. It is hard,  But I promise it is rewording. I feel like I'm turning people off from trying to learn it but it isn't as hard as it looks.

Learning enough Arabic for simple interactions is not all that hard.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the fox said:

It's a bit tricky, ain't it? For me, Spanish is the safe choice because a lot of countries speak it and if you learn Spanish it becomes a lot easier to learn French or Italian. Chinese is too extream for the tongue and some words are almost impossible to pronounce and don't get me started on the letters. Spanish is safer IMO.

Russian isn't too bad. Arabic is very tricky IMHO and academic Arabic is rarely used outside of formal stuff. In the streets, academic Arabic is used the same way an American person uses middle English. It just sound weird because of the different dialects (no arab country use the academic Arabic outside of formal work or when the dialects are too different and it's the only way for communication). The pure, old Arabic is another beast altogether.

Work= العمل (al a'mal. You have to pronounce the a' in a proper way or it will mean "hope" "امل" )

You saw the word "work" [العمل], right? the full written version of it is [العَمَلُ]. You see those little pen strokes, those little things can change how you pronounce a word drastically and in some cases can change the meaning. And there are very similar looking words that are pronounced differently.

Example:

Fugitive= (far) [فار]

A mouse= (fa er) [فأر]

(This example doesn't exactly use pen strokes but rather a different written version of ا which is أ)

Let's see here.

(Without those little pen strokes, you won't know if the person you are talking about is a male or a female or what kind of tense the verb is in which is very important).

In conclusion, Arabic is very complicated and hard but it is artistic and beautiful. It is hard,  But I promise it is rewording. I feel like I'm turning people off from trying to learn it but it isn't as hard as it looks.

So jealous of people with a second language, im too lazy to learn now. :(

7 hours ago, the fox said:

Example:

Fugitive= (far) [فار]

A mouse= (fa er) [فأر]

Let's see here.

Shukran, foxy. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

So jealous of people with a second language, im too lazy to learn now. :(

You could probably pick up Pommy with a bit of fair dinkum effort, cobber... lol

Edited by Buce

1 hour ago, Buce said:

You could probably pick up Pommy with a bit of fair dinkum effort, cobber... lol

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Ay oop me dook

:huh: ...   wish I knew what you two were on about ..   some sort of patois maybe ??

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is a really intriguing question for me. When (if :ph34r:) the UK leaves the EU then not 1 country will have English as their mother tongue. It would seem crazy to continue with it as the "principal" language , but really any alternative is fraught with danger. French used to be the diplomatic language for the West, but their time has passed and other than a few African nations, French holds no sway in the larger world. Germany have the biggest population in Europe, but 2 World Wars have ended any real hope/desire for Europe to speak German - can you imagine it. Spanish does have a large influnence in the world (because of those catholics popping out kids) but for the most part it is seen as a language for the world's poor and don't forget even in Spain it is not a truly accepted first language. Russian - no way, jose. Chinese would be a good choice but it isn't European so it would be unacceptable and of course the Americans would simply boycott Europe :D. Personally I think that Arabic WOULD be a good alternative. Due to colonialism and empires, France, Germany and Spain have an amazing number of Arabic speaking people who could be/are European nationals and it would be a language which most of the European countries have links to without any claiming - but it isn't going to happen. Racism is already too high throughout Europe.

So really it has to remain English - but how can that be justified by the EU?

8 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Ay oop me dook

Written like that it looks like Dutch!

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

:huh: ...   yes of course ...    

...   and by the way Oz, I suggest you wear a hat when out in that hot sun ...   :thumbup:

lol today was the first day ive worn jeans since November... only the 2nd day under 30 since November 1st

• Haha 1