Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Just now, Izzy said:

Depends what you mean by shit.

If you mean overcrowded, a riff off, smelly, dirty, loud, cramped, violent and unsafe then yeah, I’d agree.

What a load of bollocks. 

London is the size of some countries. Its got expensive bits, cheap bits, scummy bits, nice bits, crowded bits, semi rural bits, dirty bits, clean bits. 

Generalising all of London is as pointless as generalising all of England. 

• Like 3

Guest seanfox778
17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If you mean overcrowded, a riff off, smelly, dirty, loud, cramped, violent and unsafe then yeah, I’d agree.

102839474-two-young-man-playing-guitars-on-stage-with-lead-singer-at-the-back-at-a-live-concert.jpg

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What a load of bollocks. 

London is the size of some countries. Its got expensive bits, cheap bits, scummy bits, nice bits, crowded bits, semi rural bits, dirty bits, clean bits. 

I wasn’t generalising. I was listing what I think is shit about it.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And they were all generalisations. 

I can also give you some opinions on what I think is good about London but on balance, shit wins.

31 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think London has a lower violent crime rate than Leicester. And plenty of other towns and cities in the UK. In terms of rip-off, yes it's expensive to rent but to visit I think it's quite affordable for a capital city, lots of well-priced good restaurants and pubs if you know where to avoid, cheapish public transport and loads of free things to do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Are you the poster who lives in Downham? If so that's a pretty popular opinion in West Norfolk. 

I am mate yeah. I prefer city life but London is just overrated imo. Don't think my girlfriend banging on about it helps lol

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I think London has a lower violent crime rate than Leicester. And plenty of other towns and cities in the UK. In terms of rip-off, yes it's expensive to rent but to visit I think it's quite affordable for a capital city, lots of well-priced good restaurants and pubs if you know where to avoid, cheapish public transport and loads of free things to do. 

I think the biggest problem with London (for me anyway) is that in central, not even the whole of Zone 1, (which is what I think most people who don't know London think is London. I include myself in that in terms of knowledge anyway) it can be quite hard to find the quieter stuff, to avoid all the busyness and to find the good cheap stuff if you are on your own. I know it's there but it's a lot easier to find/see the bad stuff that Izzy spoke about.

At least that's my experience anyway, and I think London is generally kinda marmite because first impressions are usually of central and confirmation bias does the rest unless you really get to know the place.

Oh and also, it feels an awful lot like politicians don't give a shit about the North, which is partially true, and which is responsible for a lot of anti-London sentiment. Granted London is one of (if not the) financial hubs of the world and that's why it gets so much investment (which IIRC correctly is actually lower than some other cities per capita), but some of the infrastructure up north is fcvking shocking. I can get to London from York (on a comfortable train) non-stop in two hours. It takes the same time to get to Liverpool on a line that goes through Manchester, Leeds, Huddersfield and a few smaller places even though it's half the distance. They're different operators obviously but it's no coincidence the most direct lines to London are all shit hot. Liverpool to Euston and the East Coast Main Line, for example. Where's the balance in that? HS2 is already well over budget and delayed but it will plough on regardless and the negative effects will be spread around the country (on people who never wanted it and don't use it) far more than the wealth will be.

George Osbourne and his "Northern Powerhouse rhetoric" was the biggest load of shit ever. He just pretended the party gave a shit by giving Northern regions more devolution powers but not following it up with investment. Don't even get me start on the absolute joke argument that the primary driver for HS2 is anything other than making London bigger and better. Just pretend those compulsory purchases of family homes aren't happening and don't matter yeah? Cool. Of course it will benefit other places too, but don't pretend that's the motivation, cause it really fcvking isn't.

/End rant.

TL:DR - I think London is alright actually.

Edited by ajthefox
Started ranting. Spelling.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

What a load of bollocks. 

So is Leicester - that doesn't mean it isn't overcrowded or shit.

Obviously calling something shit is going to be a generalisation.

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

Nope, I got a full blown right hook to my left ear recently and I didn’t even get angry. 

So either you did something that you shouldn't to a woman in order for her to hit you or you're with a maniac. 

in a literal sense I really enjoy putting my hands on a woman. In a metaphorical sense woman or man or whatever the word is for those who don't want to be gender defined no-one should be putting their hands on them. The fact that this is talking about women is sexist and stupid.

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

So either you did something that you shouldn't to a woman in order for her to hit you or you're with a maniac. 

in a literal sense I really enjoy putting my hands on a woman. In a metaphorical sense woman or man or whatever the word is for those who don't want to be gender defined no-one should be putting their hands on them. The fact that this is talking about women is sexist and stupid.

Edited as I misread. Yeah, she might be a maniac. Fit though. 

Edited by Blarmy

No one should be violent towards any other human, man, woman or child. This includes parents being violent towards their helpless children under the guise of “discipline”. Anyone on the receiving end of violence is entitled to retaliate in self defense. If a woman is violent towards a man, he should not feel like he is unable to defend himself physically simply because she has a vagina. I’ve seen news articles of men badly battered and bloodied from domestic violence by a woman using household items as weapons, who say they felt they could not physically stop the attacks as they were taught never to lay hands on a woman. 

6 hours ago, brucey said:

No one should be violent towards any other human, man, woman or child. This includes parents being violent towards their helpless children under the guise of “discipline”. Anyone on the receiving end of violence is entitled to retaliate in self defense. If a woman is violent towards a man, he should not feel like he is unable to defend himself physically simply because she has a vagina. I’ve seen news articles of men badly battered and bloodied from domestic violence by a woman using household items as weapons, who say they felt they could not physically stop the attacks as they were taught never to lay hands on a woman. 

I got beat for doing dumb shite and i learned my lesson.......... Until i needed to learn another lesson lol.   If you grow up in a south asian household it just comes with the territory (at least in my house it did).

Looking back at it, it kept me in place. If my dad sat me in a corner or grounded me or took toys away etc it never ever worked. 

Hitting a woman is not something you are taught to do. Given that women usually wouldnt hit you back in the day (unless your arse deverved it)  then it was easier to handle. Nowadays some women feel its okay to smack/punch the shit out of a man because they know a man wont fight back. Thats not right either. If we do wrong slap us by all means but no need to beat a man up with punches,  kicks thats just overboard. Ive seen that crap happen and its not cool.  Luckily it wasnt me.

Edited by Jattdogg

6 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Nope, I got a full blown right hook to my left ear recently and I didn’t even get angry. 

That would piss me off. Women seem to think it's ok to give men a slap/punch but they'd run off bawling if you did the same to them. Or be in a rage that you'd dared to hit them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

That would piss me off. Women seem to think it's ok to give men a slap/punch but they'd run off bawling if you did the same to them. Or be in a rage that you'd dared to hit them. 

Some women these days think its okay to mike tyson a guy

40 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Do they? I'm sure there is a tiny minority out there that may think like that, but I'm sure the vast majority are aware that physical violence is wrong regardless of gender. Also if in the majority of cases that you refer to the man 'did the same to them', there would generally be a hell of a difference in harm suffered.

There is a vast difference between defending yourself from an attack and punching someone who, in most cases, is likely to be physically weaker than you.  

I'm not on about serious violence, though there is obviously that small minority as well. 

I'm talking about when men upset women and they seem to think that gives them cart blanch to start punching hard enough to hurt to show they are pissed off. Also they seem to think it's fine to give knees in the balls, throwing drinks over men, destroying their property, vandalising their car, throwing all their stuff out, etc. And people just laugh it off.