Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

12 minutes ago, FIF said:

Just the opposite, I trust that we will never have an all powerful state and therefore see the great positives a database can have. 

We fought 2 world wars and kept going in the second when we were the only country left fighting for a year against unbelieveable odds - probably better than 5000-1 - in order to not have an all powerful state. And we won through, I believe it's in our DNA (pardon the pun) to always resist such a thing.

Try telling that to the families of all the dead Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and all the other Commonwealth nations that fought alongside us.

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Try telling that to the families of all the dead Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and all the other Commonwealth nations that fought alongside us.

Sorry. You are of course correct and I didn't phrase it so well. Don't think it changes my point though.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Do vegan girls swallow? 

Yup, to the same percentage as meat eaters anyway.  

The definition of veganism on The Vegan Society website is ' a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.' So I don't see why they wouldn't, unless you consider it to be exploitation or cruel, in which case I suggest that you politely decline, shake hands and go on with your day of telling people that you're vegan and trying not to die of malnutrition or whatever else we do with our time. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Humour is always subjective IMO, and my own (possibly unpopular) take on that is that any humour that "punches down" rather than "punches up" isn't funny, it's bullying.

Do you mean like taking the piss out of somebody? For say having ginger hair or a glass eye? Or being fat? 

2 minutes ago, stix said:

Do you mean like taking the piss out of somebody? For say having ginger hair or a glass eye? Or being fat? 

Nope, none of them, because folks with ginger hair, fat people and people with glass eyes around you tend to still have about the same amount of opportunities and the like in life as you do.

Taking the piss, however, out of someone with a severe disability, or someone clearly poorer than you, for instance, for whom life is more difficult...that's what I'm referring to by "punching down".

• Like 2

The more I hear the arguments, the more open I am to weighted voting systems.

While 1 vote for 1 person is fine in the idealistic 18th and 19 centuries, in the modern city-centric world it just causes such a disparity towards the big cities and the smaller councils miss out. The problem is, if 15% of you votes come from London, then a lot more than 15% of your money go to London to try and win those votes, due to the huge influence of industry and media there.

Whenever I go to London on business trips, it's clear its an entirely different world of mega-expensive skyscrapers and government buildings everywhere - and an actual half-decent public transport system compared to everywhere else in the country (at least on the underground) - go to the next biggest city: Birmingham and the level of infrastructure is just incomparable certainly a lot lot less than proportional to London. Even places in the London sphere-of-influence as far as Brighton or Kent clearly get so much more investment as a result of their vote being worth more to industry and media and you'll find plenty of other smaller industrial towns in the north and Midlans which don't have the pull of Birmingham which are barely even invested in.

I'd also argue Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland voters have way more power to change actual investment into their own towns, cities and villagers than non-London England, because of the ridiculously broken voting system meaning 977,000 votes can lead to 35 seats to the SNP and a wad of cash coming their way (and the DUP being an even more stark example) in comparison to say 2.3million votes for the LibDems only equalling 12 seats,

One look at voting distributions for and against Brexit show pretty starkly that the London-centric nature of our politics was one of the leading underlying issues of this.

But the simple fact is - non-London (or non-London sphere-of-influence) England - which is where the majority of the people of the UK live, seem to have the least power to change what actually gets invested into their own towns, cities and villages (despite that being what a lot of people really vote for when you get to the nub of it) in comparison to London, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland - just because 1 vote for 1 person in modern industrial-metropolitan society almost inevitably leads to to a disparity of investment into the metropolitan, big cities or to placate the regional movements.

I'm not saying it should happen as it would almost certainly be prone to corruption, so for that reason I wouldn't want it implemented. But I do think that in theory there is a fair argument for weighted voting in the modern day and to weight non-London English votes higher than their peers in some way to reduce this flaw in the 1 person 1 vote system in modern society.

• Like 2

I struggle to like a lot of 80s films, Rocky and Back to the future don't do it for me. They're not objectively bad films but it's more nostalgia and the zeitgeist why they're loved which is natural I suppose

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

I struggle to like a lot of 80s films, Rocky and Back to the future don't do it for me. They're not objectively bad films but it's more nostalgia and the zeitgeist why they're loved which is natural I suppose

You definitely have to have watched them when you were younger. I still love the older films from my youth, but then I tried watching Escape From New York, which I'd never seen before, and it was just terrible!

Edited by The Bear

On 15/06/2019 at 18:14, Sampson said:

The more I hear the arguments, the more open I am to weighted voting systems.

While 1 vote for 1 person is fine in the idealistic 18th and 19 centuries, in the modern city-centric world it just causes such a disparity towards the big cities and the smaller councils miss out. The problem is, if 15% of you votes come from London, then a lot more than 15% of your money go to London to try and win those votes, due to the huge influence of industry and media there.

Whenever I go to London on business trips, it's clear its an entirely different world of mega-expensive skyscrapers and government buildings everywhere - and an actual half-decent public transport system compared to everywhere else in the country (at least on the underground) - go to the next biggest city: Birmingham and the level of infrastructure is just incomparable certainly a lot lot less than proportional to London. Even places in the London sphere-of-influence as far as Brighton or Kent clearly get so much more investment as a result of their vote being worth more to industry and media and you'll find plenty of other smaller industrial towns in the north and Midlans which don't have the pull of Birmingham which are barely even invested in.

I'd also argue Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland voters have way more power to change actual investment into their own towns, cities and villagers than non-London England, because of the ridiculously broken voting system meaning 977,000 votes can lead to 35 seats to the SNP and a wad of cash coming their way (and the DUP being an even more stark example) in comparison to say 2.3million votes for the LibDems only equalling 12 seats,

One look at voting distributions for and against Brexit show pretty starkly that the London-centric nature of our politics was one of the leading underlying issues of this.

But the simple fact is - non-London (or non-London sphere-of-influence) England - which is where the majority of the people of the UK live, seem to have the least power to change what actually gets invested into their own towns, cities and villages (despite that being what a lot of people really vote for when you get to the nub of it) in comparison to London, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland - just because 1 vote for 1 person in modern industrial-metropolitan society almost inevitably leads to to a disparity of investment into the metropolitan, big cities or to placate the regional movements.

I'm not saying it should happen as it would almost certainly be prone to corruption, so for that reason I wouldn't want it implemented. But I do think that in theory there is a fair argument for weighted voting in the modern day and to weight non-London English votes higher than their peers in some way to reduce this flaw in the 1 person 1 vote system in modern society.

Very interesting post.I would add Manchester to your argument aswell,which has been our unofficial 2nd City for some years now.A lot of the media has been shifted up there and it seems to have had untold millions spent on the place.Surprise surprise it voted heavily to remain.However a lot of Greater Manchester voted to leave.Not too dissimilar to Greater London’s outer boroughs,were the vote was a lot tighter with leave actually winning in some.Another reason TFL has to be good,because so many low paid workers rely on it so much.Uxbridge to Upminster the buses are always packed.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Unpopular because I don't think that many people want to face up to the idea rather than unpopular because the idea is rejected, but...

....people worrying about various "migrant crises" now are going to really have problems in about two or three decades when a great deal of the equatorial regions of the Earth become uninhabitable due to lack of food and potable water caused by temperature increases - and around a billion people suddenly become refugees from that and start looking for a new home.

I'm getting on the snow piercer early. Don't want no insect jelly dinners. 

• Haha 1

Michael Ballack is one of the best midfielders of the 21st century. I don’t think it’s unpopular in the sense that people would wildly disagree but you never see his name mentioned amongst modern greats.

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Unpopular opinion on this forum but I’m personally against putting hands on a woman 

What if your wife/gf says "spank me daddy"  or "spank me baby" during sex, what would you do? 

Edited by Jattdogg

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

What if your wife/gf says "spank me daddy"  or "spank me baby" during sex, what would you do? 

Think her a little strange, but humour her by slapping her father or her child on the buttocks? :dunno:

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Unpopular opinion on this forum but I’m personally against putting hands on a woman 

Or anyone tbfh. 

Something wrong with anyone that needs to be actually told when and how it's appropriate to touch other people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

London is shit

Depends what you mean by shit.

If you mean overcrowded, a riff off, smelly, dirty, loud, cramped, violent and unsafe then yeah, I’d agree.