Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I don't think anyone should laugh off those things really (having a drink thrown over you isn't really all that bad) but I see your point, @The Bear.

I was on the end of an abusive relationship (physically and mentally) and although she hit me on a number of occasions, the most I ever did was push her onto the bed by her arms to stop her from hitting me and I felt awful doing that. She was reasonably strong and I am a slender bloke but if I had retaliated I would've done far more physical damage than she did. Me being restrained was the reason it didn't escalate and I suspect if it had I would've come off looking a hell of a lot worse.

There is obviously a lot more going on there than in isolated instances of physicality between two people but that's my two penneth.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that AJ. That's a tough situation, and more than just simple retaliation, which is what I was on about.

Good to see you showed restraint though. The psychological stuff is the hardest stuff to cope with

Especially if you don't want to just become a mean jerk back. 

Me personally, I'm quite flatline when it comes to emotions and can come across as not giving a shit. So that sort of psychological stuff doesn't get to me, thankfully. 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 11:33, foxfanazer said:

I am mate yeah. I prefer city life but London is just overrated imo. Don't think my girlfriend banging on about it helps lol

I prefer city life too, but I appreciate being able to escape to Norfolk at the weekends. Mostly being able to find a seat in pubs. 

I was also the victim of an abusive relationship of the psychological kind. When I chatted to my GP about it, she (the doctor) didn't take it seriously. Within a month and not sure what to do, I'd stopped eating and drinking, became severely dehydrated, and was on a saline drip in hospital for four days. Two weeks later I was dumped. That turned out to be great news for my sanity (and my wallet). Since that time, I've developed an emotional detachment from almost everyone, to avoid the possibility of history repeating itself.    

• Sad 3

Since that time, I've relied almost entirely on forums such as this for company, but even here a mild form of psychological abuse occurs. For example, a recent discussion about what to put in sandwiches (a pretty harmless topic) resulted in one person saying that I 'should be put down', which someone else agreed with. They clearly had no idea what effect that had on me, which is why I try to avoid saying anything negative about other contributors.  

24 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Since that time, I've relied almost entirely on forums such as this for company, but even here a mild form of psychological abuse occurs. For example, a recent discussion about what to put in sandwiches (a pretty harmless topic) resulted in one person saying that I 'should be put down', which someone else agreed with. They clearly had no idea what effect that had on me, which is why I try to avoid saying anything negative about other contributors.  

I feel very sorry for you and I'm sad that you are affected in this way but in reality you need to (and obviously have) accepted that this is now a problem that you need to face and resolve. The comments by those people regarding your sandwiches were clearly tongue in cheek and humourous. If we remove all posts that have a potential to offend there would be no discussion and no forum. The forum already gets far too sensitive over innocuos posts which may or may not offend, at the moment.

I wish you all the best and hope that you get the help you need.

31 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If you don't mind me asking (out of genuine curiosity, not piss taking) can I enquire as to your rough age? In generations if you don't want to be specific? 

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I'm sorry to hear that :( i tend to put everything down to personal opinions differing and banter and just some idiots being nobs, but i would suggest you report any posts that upset/bother you in the future. I like to browse many forums football / gaming / reddit and compared to some this forum is actually a sane place. 

11 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I'm sorry to hear that :( i tend to put everything down to personal opinions differing and banter and just some idiots being nobs, but i would suggest you report any posts that upset/bother you in the future. I like to browse many forums football / gaming / reddit and compared to some this forum is actually a sane place. 

Image result for surprised gif

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

35 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Image result for surprised gif

It really is.

Check out some YouTube comment threads, a few parts of reddit and /pol/ if you want some proper examples of humans being decidedly inhuman.

• Like 2

Put it this way, Mike Stringfellow is/was my favourite City player and my first ever match at Filbert Street (aged 12) was a thrilling 4-2 win over Newcastle at the back end of the 1966-67 season. He scored one of the goals. I was hooked from that day forth! As regards general banter, none of us really know each other, so none of us can predict how really negative comments will be received. The one I mentioned had no clear indication that it was meant to be a joke:- You need putting down to be honest, you're disgusting.     

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Put it this way, Mike Stringfellow is/was my favourite City player and my first ever match at Filbert Street (aged 12) was a thrilling 4-2 win over Newcastle at the back end of the 1966-67 season. He scored one of the goals. I was hooked from that day forth! As regards general banter, none of us really know each other, so none of us can predict how really negative comments will be received. The one I mentioned had no clear indication that it was meant to be a joke:- You need putting down to be honest, you're disgusting.     

You're referring to this exchange:

On 25/05/2019 at 19:40, String fellow said:

Following the chat about HP sauce, mayonnaise etc. on chips, I have three words: Co-op mint sauce. It tastes great on not only lamb (which I refuse to eat), but also on virtually any savoury dish. I even have it (on its own) in sandwiches. Yum!

On 25/05/2019 at 21:04, Strokes said:

You need putting down to be honest, you're disgusting.

If you can't see that Strokes' response was a joke, then maybe you should seriously consider whether interacting on a forum is really your thing.

I'd be willing to bet that not one single other poster on here would have thought it was anything other than tongue-in-cheek humour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the fox said:

What I got from this is that aj  is a Ravens fan.

And banks with HSBC, has a Hotmail account with Microsoft, and an account with Netflix, Pinterest, Dropbox and Spotify and uses VLC Media player...

Oh, and, despite his university education, he has a problem with homophones... :D

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, String fellow said:

you have just got to rise above it and not allow peoples comments especially on a forum and life in general effect the way you feel, it doesn't matter what people think about you or the way you do things, like you say you don't know them personally and even if you did just react in the same manner they have to you.

3 hours ago, the fox said:

What I got from this is that aj  is a Ravens fan.

And yeah, @String fellow, like Buce said, Strokes meant no harm with that. He was just pulling your leg IMO.

Anyways, sorry for your situation and you are more than welcomed to get it off your chest. 

Yes, foxy, Ed Reed is my hero!

2 hours ago, Buce said:

And banks with HSBC, has a Hotmail account with Microsoft, and an account with Netflix, Pinterest, Dropbox and Spotify and uses VLC Media player...

Oh, and, despite his university education, he has a problem with homophones... :D

lol  I was going to cut the screenshot down but I couldn't be bothered; you've got me paranoid now!

And just fyi, I rarely use VLC and my Spotify account is not paid for!!

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Yes, foxy, Ed Reed is my hero!

lol  I was going to cut the screenshot down but I couldn't be bothered; you've got me paranoid now!

And just fyi, I rarely use VLC and my Spotify account is not paid for!!

Unpopular opinion - Ed Reed is overrated. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Churchill may have been a good PM during WWII but he treated India and the Indians disgustingly and like "most" Brits of his day he was incredibly racist.