Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

The whole idea of a “gourmet” or top end burger is just floored to me. You can’t really polish a turd, a burger is just a burger, it’s just street food really. Anybody who tries to make it anything other than meat in some bread it just trying to force gastronomy for the sake of it. 

• Like 2

I always hated dogs growing up but as Ive aged its more the owners I despise. Around me there's lots of fields to walk in, but you spend most of your time dodging dog shit so it isn't very fun. Also as others have said how owners excuse their behaviour. A few years ago i was sat with some mates and there was a dog playing in a brook. It came charging over to us and shook all the shitty brook water all over us. Did the owners apologise? Did they ****. Just said "don't worry, he's friendly". I couldnt care less if its friendly its just covered me in shitty water ffs.

Our neighbours have 2 dogs, small brown fluffy things, my girlfriend says they're expensive. One of them escapes all the time, goes onto the busy bypass, howls and barks all ****ing day. When its howling the owners just shout its incredibly irritating name and it shuts up for 10 minutes. The other dog is no bother at all though which I find weird.

I do like cats tho.

On the burger debate, stoney cove do a lovely homemade cheeseburger which is very cheap, enjoy a few of them over summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

The whole idea of a “gourmet” or top end burger is just floored to me. You can’t really polish a turd, a burger is just a burger, it’s just street food really. Anybody who tries to make it anything other than meat in some bread it just trying to force gastronomy for the sake of it. 

Come off it, surely you can appreciate that something from Wimpy and something from Honest Burger are not the same prospect.

You could reduce any foodstuff using that logic couldn't you? Why go to an upmarket Italian when you can just buy dried penne from Sainsbury's. Its just some flour mixed with some water either way.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

Does that not apply to sausages too?  ;)

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Come off it, surely you can appreciate that something from Wimpy and something from Honest Burger are not the same prospect.

But they are though aren’t they really? It’s still just some meat in some bread? One might have things added to it and be of a better quality but they are fundamentally the same thing. 

What’s an honest burger by the way? 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Does that not apply to sausages too?  ;)

I’d argue yes. Taste might be different and quality might be different but a frankfurter and a Lincolnshire oak aged with apple and rosemary is still the same thing really! Both just a sausage lol 

Just now, Manini said:

But they are though aren’t they really? It’s still just some meat in some bread? One might have things added to it and be of a better quality but they are fundamentally the same thing. 

What’s an honest burger by the way? 

It's better meat in better bread with a wider range of better supplementaries. We might as well shut down all restaurants and eateries if the logic is that all they offer is just some food.

Honest Burger is a chain of burger restaurants. I assumed they were nationwide but they might only be in That London™ still.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It's better meat in better bread with a wider range of better supplementaries. We might as well shut down all restaurants and eateries if the logic is that all they offer is just some food.

Honest Burger is a chain of burger restaurants. I assumed they were nationwide but they might only be in That London™ still.

I do appreciate that. I think I’m struggling to get my point across here it’s not necessarily the concept of improving it I find flawed or the better it’s just the idea of paying top end prices for something that is essentially processed meat in bread that you sit down at a table and eat with a knife and fork that I find flawed - it’s a bit like Nando’s I always struggle with that a bit too, mainly because I know It’s chicken and chips and I know I could make a very viable substitute for that at home for half the price. I do still like burgers and Nando’s for the record. 

50 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Basically every trait dogs possess cats do too. The main difference is that cats are much more independent/less loyal.

Clearly you don’t like cats though and I’m not going to change your mind.

I don’t dislike them to be fair, I was being OTT. I’d just never have one as a pet. Similarly, many wouldn’t have a dog. Each to their own. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’d argue yes. Taste might be different and quality might be different but a frankfurter and a Lincolnshire oak aged with apple and rosemary is still the same thing really! Both just a sausage lol 

Sir, you go too far, too far I say. :mad:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Can confirm they have made it to "bleedin' Reading" as well

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

I always hated dogs growing up but as Ive aged its more the owners I despise. Around me there's lots of fields to walk in, but you spend most of your time dodging dog shit so it isn't very fun. Also as others have said how owners excuse their behaviour. A few years ago i was sat with some mates and there was a dog playing in a brook. It came charging over to us and shook all the shitty brook water all over us. Did the owners apologise? Did they ****. Just said "don't worry, he's friendly". I couldnt care less if its friendly its just covered me in shitty water ffs.

Our neighbours have 2 dogs, small brown fluffy things, my girlfriend says they're expensive. One of them escapes all the time, goes onto the busy bypass, howls and barks all ****ing day. When its howling the owners just shout its incredibly irritating name and it shuts up for 10 minutes. The other dog is no bother at all though which I find weird.

I do like cats tho.

On the burger debate, stoney cove do a lovely homemade cheeseburger which is very cheap, enjoy a few of them over summer.

Hate this line with a passion "dont worry he/she is friendly and won't bite".  Look buttheads, i don't know your dog intimately (wrong word? Lol )  like you do but seeing as I was attacked/bitten by a dog on 3 seperate occasions whilst minding my own feckin business tells me that i should not trust ANY dog. I realize most dogs are not a problem and perhaps I've had some bad luck with dogs attacking me out of the blue but piss off lol

Side note, clearly those dogs love brown flesh. Was it the curry BO i was giving off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Hate this line with a passion "dont worry he/she is friendly and won't bite".  Look buttheads, i don't know your dog intimately (wrong word? Lol )  like you do but seeing as I was attacked/bitten by a dog on 3 seperate occasions whilst minding my own feckin business tells me that i should not trust ANY dog. I realize most dogs are not a problem and perhaps I've had some bad luck with dogs attacking me out of the blue but piss off lol

Side note, clearly those dogs love brown flesh. Was it the curry BO i was giving off?

I've been to enough dog bites to know they can be pretty unpredictable. Colleague I worked with went to the young girl in Beaumont Leys who had most of her face bitten off and subsequently sadly died. He never got over it and has since left the service.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Blows my mind that there are people that don’t love dogs. 

That said, I saw a guy built like The Rock walking a chihuahua puppy. Looked ridiculous. 

That’s like me when I walk Nigel 

• Haha 2

Man came in here there are folk who don’t like dogs or five guys. I guess the thread title is living up to its name for once.

Also dogs vs cats isn’t even an argument, dogs are domesticated funny legends with great personalities and cats are idiots.

• Like 3

Gourmet burgers are the worst. Massively too thick burger, endless pointless varieties of buns, poncey veg, poncey cheese, and ends up twice the price of other burgers and awful to eat. 

A burger patty shouldn't be more than 1cm thick, or the meat/bun ratio is all wrong. You just end up chewing a mouthful of meat for 5 mins. 

Normal white bun and burger, some gem lettuce, thin slice of tomato, optional cheese slice and onions, bit of English mustard and/or ketchup. Jobs a good un. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I've been to enough dog bites to know they can be pretty unpredictable. Colleague I worked with went to the young girl in Beaumont Leys who had most of her face bitten off and subsequently sadly died. He never got over it and has since left the service.

That's a horrible story and what I have to say is in no way meant to trivialise that incident, but in general terms, the sad truth is that dogs are much more likely to be on the receiving end of violence from people than the other way around.  In fact people are far more likely to be on the receiving end of violence from other people than from dogs.

A dog wants to be your friend.  If it bites there is something wrong that can usually be traced back to animals of the two-legged variety.

2 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Yes, but do you sit in front of the fire licking your own gonads?. That's the burning question. 

I have been married for 10 years so if anyone is licking my gonads it would probably have to be myself (i havent tried though).

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Blows my mind that there are people that don’t love dogs. 

That said, I saw a guy built like The Rock walking a chihuahua puppy. Looked ridiculous. 

If 3 different dogs bited (as my 7 year old says) you then your thought process might change. Having said that, i actually dont mind dogs and used to have one when i was younger.

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

This, all day long. A medium sized dog came bounding over to my 16 month old practicing walking in the park. The owner made no attempt to stop it despite it being twice her size. Just shouted "she's friendly".

I don't care if it's a friendly dog, doesn't stop my daughter having allergies, doesn't stop my daughter being scared of dogs. Doesn't mean she won't scream or grab the dog. That's true of anyone don't let your dogs bother other people. If we wanted to share our space with a dog we'd fvcking buy one. This women doesn't even apologies and tells me to look after my child, who by this point was in my arms crying.

Not even mentioning this was during lockdown when all dogs should be on leads.

A few days later same park I hear a shout turn round and again a dog is bounding towards us. This time the owner is chasing after shouts the dog back. Gets the dog under control then says sorry, says the dog is really friendly, but that he was worried about my daughter as she's very small. I said no worries mate and thanked him, because he was a responsible owner and not an entitled arrogant cnut like the other one.

Dogs aren't the problem, arrogant/dickhead dog owners are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, murphy said:

That's a horrible story and what I have to say is in no way meant to trivialise that incident, but in general terms, the sad truth is that dogs are much more likely to be on the receiving end of violence from people than the other way around.  In fact people are far more likely to be on the receiving end of violence from other people than from dogs.

A dog wants to be your friend.  If it bites there is something wrong that can usually be traced back to animals of the two-legged variety.

Fair comment and I absolutely accept that the number of dog attacks is vastly fewer than the number of dogs in the community. Many people rely on their dogs for company and friendship and security and so it should be. Personally, I don't have an issue with people owning dogs as pets, indeed, I had a dog when I was a teenager and when he was killed by a van I was distraught. I just have a faint feeling of nervousness when I'm approached by a strange dog, particularly if it's a larger breed. 

I totally agree that dogs are so often on the receiving end of mistreatment and that is tragic and unforgiveable.

• Like 1