Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

20 hours ago, stix said:

Cheap ass lemonade tastes way better than the more expensive stuff. 

Aldi diet lemonade. For a sugar free soft drink it[s the dog's...

And if you like a G&T their low cal tonic is pretty decent. I won't pay £1.50 plus, for Fever Tree when I can get a decent basic, albeit unflavoured equivalent, that tastes good.

For me Fever Tree is over-hyped. It's nice but nothing special.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

My first ice cold Fanta lemon was in Greece many years ago and.. OMG! Never found the same emotion in the UK. Does foreign Fanta contain a drug of some sort?

I think it contains different ingredients. It definitely must do anyway. I always like to bring some back with me.

You can still get Sunkist cordial in some of the Polish supermarkets. I think they stop selling it here because of all the E numbers. It's so sweet it can rot your teeth just looking at it. 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

You can still get Sunkist cordial in some of the Polish supermarkets. I think they stop selling it here because of all the E numbers. It's so sweet it can rot your teeth just looking at it. 

Can’t see it myself....

61017F10-ECB4-49B7-A3B9-BFD523CB909D.jpeg

The idea that “You’ll meet mates for life at Uni” was either always a myth or has become one over more recent years. 

As a prelude, I never went Uni myself, I went into an apprenticeship after A Levels, but virtually all my friends did and at this point, barring Masters or resits, have been graduates for a couple years. 

I don’t know many, if any of them who have what you’d consider a close friend or good mate from Uni. Plenty have people they keep in touch with, message occasionally, a yearly meet-up etc. I’m mates with a range of people from amateur historians to band frontmen, introverts and massive party people and everyone in between. Yet whilst plenty had good friends at Uni they either burnt out or just drifted apart. 

I do know of people with who retain close friendships from Uni, but it seems the vast majority I know ended up in the same circles they were in pre-Uni. For how many people I know in the same boat, it seems more than coincidence at this point. Is it the fact contact with mates from home is easier than ever thanks to group chats/video calls? 

21 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

The idea that “You’ll meet mates for life at Uni” was either always a myth or has become one over more recent years. 

21 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I never went Uni myself

• Like 1

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Did you just decide to ignore the rest of the post?

Bit weird mate...

No - and I had no intention of being facetious - it just amused me that's all.

Regarding your observations though, I dunno - look at the tory party!

I think it very much depends upon the individual. I know many, many people that have long lasting friends from university - quite a few that have cohabited and shared flats subsequently, particularly in London. Additionally, people who have met their future spouse/partner at university and surrounding that, the friends and acquaintances from HE. Perhaps with widening participation agendas and in association with that, the increase in locally domiciled students (De Montfort University being a prime example), established social circles pre-university endure or take precedence. So the institution can be a major factor. As, courses increasingly embrace VLE and online distance learning, the notion of campus camaraderie may well become a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No - and I had no intention of being facetious - it just amused me that's all.

Regarding your observations though, I dunno - look at the tory party!

I think it very much depends upon the individual. I know many, many people that have long lasting friends from university - quite a few that have cohabited and shared flats subsequently, particularly in London. Additionally, people who have met their future spouse/partner at university and surrounding that, the friends and acquaintances from HE. Perhaps with widening participation agendas and in association with that, the increase in locally domiciled students (De Montfort University being a prime example), established social circles pre-university endure or take precedence. So the institution can be a major factor. As, courses increasingly embrace VLE and online distance learning, the notion of campus camaraderie may well become a thing of the past. 

Apologies in that case, it just came across as combative at first glance. 

One of my mates who went Uni theorised that due to financial circumstances and over-saturation in Uni degrees, people tend to have a few months at least job searching before finding a job, and with no job or a basic service job renting becomes difficult outside of being subsidised by mum & dad. But you bring up good points.

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Apologies in that case, it just came across as combative at first glance. 

One of my mates who went Uni theorised that due to financial circumstances and over-saturation in Uni degrees, people tend to have a few months at least job searching before finding a job, and with no job or a basic service job renting becomes difficult outside of being subsidised by mum & dad. But you bring up good points.

No need to apologise - simply my shite sense of humour. 

Data from HECSU clearly indicates, that contrary to belief, many students that do study away from home return to their town or city of origin upon completion of their degrees. Also, the international cohort has become increasingly significant and obtaining Tier 2 sponsorship is extremely challenging - virtually impossible in the current climate, so the vast majority return to their countries of origin. The exception being EU students, but following Brexit they will be subject to the same rules. It looks as though both international and European graduates will as of the next academic year will have a 2 year extension to their study visas...which is at least an improvement upon the 4 months under the current policy. Many EU students aren't motivated to study here any longer, particularly as they can't remain. This combined with a temporary demographic dip in the age cohort, competition from degree apprenticeships and the current pandemic spells dire financial implications throughout the Higher Education Sector. Mass rationalisation across UK institutions is inevitable. Universities will need to effect redundancies, dip into surplus, curtail pensions and borrow in order to remain profitable or even in some cases, to survive. International applications have plummeted this year for obvious reasons and the Modern Universities in particular are looking very closely at outreach which again will render the notion of physical presence on the campus defunct. Lockdown prematurely prompted and invited new ways of teaching and assessment which were going to be ushered in anyway. It is a concern - many courses require attendance due to the practical content which cannot be taught online, whilst the peer aspect of university life, in terms of learning and social bonding is essential. 

I understand that you are referring to 'first degree' students, but in terms of Post Graduate degrees, Masters level is mainly one year in duration, whilst PhD can be a very isolated and remote experience. Also,in both cases, the latter involves less emphasis upon social life. I am noticing a distinct spike in Masters applications due to the current stagnation of the graduate labour market, which of course is completely the wrong reason to undertake a post-graduate programme of study. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

As a prelude, I never went Uni myself, I went into an apprenticeship after A Levels, but virtually all my friends did and at this point, barring Masters or resits, have been graduates for a couple years. 

I don’t know many, if any of them who have what you’d consider a close friend or good mate from Uni. Plenty have people they keep in touch with, message occasionally, a yearly meet-up etc. I’m mates with a range of people from amateur historians to band frontmen, introverts and massive party people and everyone in between. Yet whilst plenty had good friends at Uni they either burnt out or just drifted apart. 

I do know of people with who retain close friendships from Uni, but it seems the vast majority I know ended up in the same circles they were in pre-Uni. For how many people I know in the same boat, it seems more than coincidence at this point. Is it the fact contact with mates from home is easier than ever thanks to group chats/video calls? 

I think your bottom point sums up the main issue pretty well.

Following graduation my Uni friends go from being round the corner and all on similar schedules to spread across the country. Whereas being at home it's significantly easier to see mates at home, such as yourself, for a pint than organising a cross-country meet-up. The latter I've found particularly challenging with friends in London, Oxford and Bristol. Whereas I still am reasonably close to my uni friends, I'd say I was closer to my home friends. 

You'd find the opposite should the person stay living in the area they went to Uni at and if others followed suit, one of my friends graduated Aston and still lives with his uni mates in Birmingham. 

56 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I didn’t go to uni myself either.Way too thick.My Dad did though in the early sixties.When it was rare for anyone to go especially for a bloke with his background(never lets me forget it😂)He did history at Leeds,made many friends who he kept in touch with through the whole of his life.In fact one became my god father.He sadly passed away some years ago.Massive shame as he was a top top bloke.The last time I saw my dad,before the recent carry on,he’d just been to Leeds for a bit of a knees up with four other “survivors” and their wife’s, for the wkend.Not bad considering they are knocking eighty.My sister met her husband in the mid nineties at Newcastle uni.Amazingly still together.He deserves a medal.

I find that the more people you meet,and the easier it becomes to keep in touch.The less likely you are to do so.Either that or I’m just a lazy ignorant git.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It's tricky. I went to uni in Leeds and made what I'd consider some great mates, but they were scattered all over the country - Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield, London, Bristol. Getting everyone together was hard - people have different financial circumstances, either skint post-graduation, or life events might mean they've started saving, and when you're looking at a likely train fare + booze + hotel outlay it represents a different challenge than having mates round the corner. If you can't find a window where folk are free it means more £££ spent on separate trips etc. 

I keep in touch with the lot of them bar a couple, but rarely have a pint with any of them. I've got my pre-uni circle, but after uni mates of mates as well as folk I've worked with have become close friends in all.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 21:52, Corky said:

And cyclists should be made to use the ones that already exist. Why are they allowed to cycle on the road next to a cycle path designed specifically for their usage?

The reason I stay off some of them is that you have to constantly give way to road traffic at junctions, it actually becomes twice as slow and more dangerous to ride on them. Pedestrians walking in them is also a major problem. Cycle lanes are generally poor and have been designed to keep cyclists off the road, mainly for the benefit of drivers rather than people riding bikes.

Get out there on a bike and give it a try.

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 13:11, Sampson said:

Fair enough cycling places instead of driving but cyclists are hands down the worst, most arrogant vehicle/pedestrians on the road.

See a cyclist approaching a red light and 90% of the 

time you can guarantee they'll just go straight through even if it's a pedestrian crossing/a zebra crossing where pedestrians are crossing.

We used to have a blind traffic lighted crossroads when I used to live and you had to slam your breaks on so often because of cyclists just ignoring the red lights and going straight through the crossroads blind while cars are coming at 90 degrees to them.

Cyclists who cycle on pavements are just as bad to pedestrians. I'd hate to imagine how bad it is for blind people trying to walk on the pavement with willy puller cyclists all about.

I think people would appreciate cyclists more of they didn't have such an arrogant disregard of absolutely everyone else around them on the roads or as pedestrians.

As a cyclist I see arrogant Lorry Drivers, Car Drivers, Taxi Drivers and pedestrians.

I also see arrogant cyclists as well.

That 90% figure is rubbish, you only spot the ones who jump lights or cycle on the pavement, not the vast majority who cycle on the roads, wear helmets, have lights and stop at lights.

42 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

As a cyclist I see arrogant Lorry Drivers, Car Drivers, Taxi Drivers and pedestrians.

I also see arrogant cyclists as well.

That 90% figure is rubbish, you only spot the ones who jump lights or cycle on the pavement, not the vast majority who cycle on the roads, wear helmets, have lights and stop at lights.

Most drivers don't use their indicators 90% of the time.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

11 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

For the oldies.

As a kid watching the wrestling on “World of Sport” I always wanted Giant Haystacks to beat the shit out of Big Daddy.

I remember feeling distraught when I found out that Big Daddy's real name was Shirley Crabtree :cry:

• Haha 2