Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Burgers: Good quality burgers are amazing, thick juicy patty, bacon, cheese, onions, sauce.

Brioche buns can fvck off though, I'm not having pudding.

Also if you need a toothpick to hold the burger together you've gone too far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Gourmet burgers are the worst. Massively too thick burger, endless pointless varieties of buns, poncey veg, poncey cheese, and ends up twice the price of other burgers and awful to eat. 

A burger patty shouldn't be more than 1cm thick, or the meat/bun ratio is all wrong. You just end up chewing a mouthful of meat for 5 mins. 

Normal white bun and burger, some gem lettuce, thin slice of tomato, optional cheese slice and onions, bit of English mustard and/or ketchup. Jobs a good un. 

Says a man who has never been to crafty 

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

This, all day long. A medium sized dog came bounding over to my 16 month old practicing walking in the park. The owner made no attempt to stop it despite it being twice her size. Just shouted "she's friendly".

I don't care if it's a friendly dog, doesn't stop my daughter having allergies, doesn't stop my daughter being scared of dogs. Doesn't mean she won't scream or grab the dog. That's true of anyone don't let your dogs bother other people. If we wanted to share our space with a dog we'd fvcking buy one. This women doesn't even apologies and tells me to look after my child, who by this point was in my arms crying.

Not even mentioning this was during lockdown when all dogs should be on leads.

A few days later same park I hear a shout turn round and again a dog is bounding towards us. This time the owner is chasing after shouts the dog back. Gets the dog under control then says sorry, says the dog is really friendly, but that he was worried about my daughter as she's very small. I said no worries mate and thanked him, because he was a responsible owner and not an entitled arrogant cnut like the other one.

Dogs aren't the problem, arrogant/dickhead dog owners are.

I always try to make sure my dogs don't approach people who don't want them to. Lots of people like to make a fuss of the dogs when I'm in the park, but I appreciate not everyone does. I always especially keep my eye on kids, particularly small ones who may be nervous around dogs. The dogs always come back to my call and on occasion I've asked a parent of a nervous child if they'd like to "say hello" to my dog and often the child will overcome her nerves and stroke them (my dogs tend to roll on their back eveytime someone fusses them).

I hate to see dogs out of control. If you can't call your dog back - and know that it will come back each time - then you shouldn't let it off the lead imo.

I never saw any guidance about dogs having to be on leads during lockdown though?

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

Also if you need a toothpick to hold the burger together you've gone too far.

Sounds like a court case waiting to happen  :unsure:

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I always try to make sure my dogs don't approach people who don't want them to. Lots of people like to make a fuss of the dogs when I'm in the park, but I appreciate not everyone does. I always especially keep my eye on kids, particularly small ones who may be nervous around dogs. The dogs always come back to my call and on occasion I've asked a parent of a nervous child if they'd like to "say hello" to my dog and often the child will overcome her nerves and stroke them (my dogs tend to roll on their back eveytime someone fusses them).

I hate to see dogs out of control. If you can't call your dog back - and know that it will come back each time - then you shouldn't let it off the lead imo.

I never saw any guidance about dogs having to be on leads during lockdown though?

As usual with the advice during the pandemic it seemed a little wooly looking back on it:

From the gov website:

"When walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should consider putting your dog on a lead to ensure you can stay 2 metres away from others."

Iirc there were various reports saying dogs must be kept on leads when social distancing rules were relaxed. Maybe it wasn't as strictly enforced nationwide as I thought, but the park I was in had clear signs up at the entrance saying all dogs must be on a lead. Not that many people paid any attention to it.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

As usual with the advice during the pandemic it seemed a little wooly looking back on it:

From the gov website:

"When walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should consider putting your dog on a lead to ensure you can stay 2 metres away from others."

Iirc there were various reports saying dogs must be kept on leads when social distancing rules were relaxed. Maybe it wasn't as strictly enforced nationwide as I thought, but the park I was in had clear signs up at the entrance saying all dogs must be on a lead. Not that many people paid any attention to it.

Exactly the kind of ambiguous advice which has been given all the way through, as you say.

I *think* our park has signs up in certain areas saying dogs should be "under control" which I suppose doesn't mean the have to be leashed.

If a park sign says dogs should be on leads, then I would abide by that, and anyone who doesn't is a total arse

Appreciate that not everyone loves dogs and certainly don't want them running over and jumping up at them. Part of being a responsible dog owner is ensuring that your dog doesn't come into contact with people who don't want it.

Same applies when people knock the door or visitors come. I ensure the dogs are kept in a seperate room until I know they are happy for the dogs to be there.The guy who deliveres from my local Indian is absolutely terrified of dogs. One time, I think my son opened the door to him before I realised he was there, and the dog bolted. He dropped the food and ran!  I had to profusely apologise and next time he came he phoned from his car outside to make sure the dog was away (I mean, she's only a springer spaniel ffs but tbf he was stood there with a bag of food!):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Bear said:

Gourmet burgers are the worst. Massively too thick burger, endless pointless varieties of buns, poncey veg, poncey cheese, and ends up twice the price of other burgers and awful to eat. 

A burger patty shouldn't be more than 1cm thick, or the meat/bun ratio is all wrong. You just end up chewing a mouthful of meat for 5 mins. 

Normal white bun and burger, some gem lettuce, thin slice of tomato, optional cheese slice and onions, bit of English mustard and/or ketchup. Jobs a good un. 

I don't understand why more places don't take Burger King's approach to making big burgers - increase the diameter of the burger, not the height. When I order a fancy burger every now and then and it's stupidly tall you can't even start to eat it until you take half of the contents out, or eat it with a knife and fork and ruin the experience

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I don't understand why more places don't take Burger King's approach to making big burgers - increase the diameter of the burger, not the height. When I order a fancy burger every now and then and it's stupidly tall you can't even start to eat it until you take half of the contents out, or eat it with a knife and fork and ruin the experience

this, I ordered one at a bar once and they brought it out. It was taller than my pint glass! Like something Scooby Doo would eat ffs!

Kitchen gone to all that effort to make it look nice, now I've got to dismantle it!

• Haha 1

Must admit I'm a bit of a relic when it comes to things like burgers. The horror on my face when I see the price of the burger, and it doesn't even come with fries! You have to add another £2.99 on them.

Genuinely, a double chicken breast burger with chips in Spoons will do me. I know what I'm paying for and I enjoy it. That or the Cowboy burger in Harvester.

I am sure some burgers are worth the price etc, because the meat is such good quality and cooked so well, but I really need to come to terms with the fact I'm a tight arse, and am unlikely to try these!

19 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Hate this line with a passion "dont worry he/she is friendly and won't bite".  Look buttheads, i don't know your dog intimately (wrong word? Lol )  like you do but seeing as I was attacked/bitten by a dog on 3 seperate occasions whilst minding my own feckin business tells me that i should not trust ANY dog. I realize most dogs are not a problem and perhaps I've had some bad luck with dogs attacking me out of the blue but piss off lol

Side note, clearly those dogs love brown flesh. Was it the curry BO i was giving off?

Sorry, the use of the word 'buttheads' just made me piss myself. Not heard that one in a while.

I have a dog and get paranoid about this kind of thing so we've trained her to be obsessed with her ball that we throw for her. A lot of patience and time to do so early on but now she has zero interest in anything else when we go for a walk which is great as I'd hate to have a dog that ran over and jumped up other people.

• Like 1

Some years ago I was supporting a young lad with learning disabilities during a walk through the Shady Lane arboretum, when this dog appeared from nowhere and started snarling and barking at him.

He was terrified and started screaming - which made matters worse.

I then heard the owner call the dog from about 50 yards away.

A little while later the said owner and dog passed closer by and the dog went for this lad again. The poor lad was panicking, crying and extremely distressed.

After intervening, I suggested to the owner that the dog should be on a lead if he cannot control him.

His reply? "I walk my dog here every day."

No apology, didn't even check if the young lad was ok.

Cvnt

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I had a couple of Asian fellas round to fit blinds in one of our bedrooms last week. Our 6 month Border Collie gets over enthusiastic meeting new people and will jump, roll and cry at any new faces.  When they came to measure a few weeks ago, it was clear they wasn't the keenest on dogs. 

So before I let them in, in kept the dog in the living room, with the patio door open so he can go into the garden and left a back door leading to the kitchen open which is where his water bowl is. I closed the kitchen door on the inside so he couldnt get into any other areas in the house. 

Anyway, I go into the living room and carry on working whilst these do the blinds, dog goes outside. 2 mins later I hear crashing and commotion upstairs and one of the guys shouting my name. Dog only managed to open the kitchen door somehow and run upstairs. They were both cowered in the corner and the dog on lying on his back, tounge out, wanting a belly rub with his tail going like a propeller.

Our Pup is a pain. His call back works most of the time, but when we are out and he sees someone, it's game over as his excitement takes over. As a Border Collie, I want to let him off more often when we walk around Aylestone Meadows so he can properly explore, but before you realise someone is approaching, it's too late and he will run right up to them before you get a chance. Really hoping he approves over time. 

And don't you find that someone being scared of a dog just excites the dog even more?:D

Not quite sure that this comment is relevant for this thread, but he's been in the news lately; Kanye West.

Although I've heard of him and know he's big time, I genuinely haven't a clue what he looks like. 

Of course his face has popped up on the news feeds but seemed unremarkable and I wouldn't have recalled it in a identity parade 

Serious question before I Google Mr West right now, but is he extravagantly attired, in the form of 'Ali G' parody song 'me Julie'? .... like this below? 

70375667943747ceb8a38433ea0e7229.jpg

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Coffee tastes awful. X 

It really does, just the smell of it makes me gag.

If my gf is making coffee for her (and tea for me) I insist that she uses a different spoon to stir the tea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

If my gf is making coffee for her (and tea for me) I insist that she uses a different spoon to stir the tea.

There is nothing worse than a coffee infected tea. X 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, murphy said:

I massively disagree about the coffee, a good cup of coffee - not the instant crap but a cup of real coffee is one of life’s great pleasures, particularly if coupled with a newspaper and 15 minutes of silence.

However, massive agreement about the cross contamination of the spoon. Anyone caught using the same spoon for different drinks should be given a life sentence. It’s criminal and ruins everyone’s drinks.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I massively disagree about the coffee, a good cup of coffee - not the instant crap but a cup of real coffee is one of life’s great pleasures, particularly if coupled with a newspaper and 15 minutes of silence.

However, massive agreement about the cross contamination of the spoon. Anyone caught using the same spoon for different drinks should be given a life sentence. It’s criminal and ruins everyone’s drinks.

That's just it - instant "coffee" is a disgrace and tastes nothing like proper coffee. Shame that proper coffee isn't the norm in most UK households