Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

It's always a butty when chips are involved. Yorkshire people aren't wrong enough to call it a chip barmcake are they? 

The concensus is that a butty is strictly bread, not a cob.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/butty

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butty

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/butty

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/butty

I guess personal interpretention comes into it, but for me chips in a cob is a chip cob.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Its a cob unless it's got chips, then it's a butty. Otherwise, you're wrong.

Chip butty is the correct term, but if someone offered me a cheese and pickle butty I'd stab them

Edit: I love cheese and pickle.

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

As if the only one you call a roll is the one that isn't roll shaped lol 

Did you never roll down a hill when you were a kid? There's more than one roll, if you understand your role.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

Did you never roll down a hill when you were a kid? There's more than one roll, if you understand your role.

You mean performing sausage rolls on a hill?  The bread you're thinking of is a finger roll, the word finger being there to warn you that it's not normal roll shaped and has little use outside of the one day a year where you can get the barbecue out and burn some sausages, the things we name hill rolling after. ;) 

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

You mean performing sausage rolls on a hill?  The bread you're thinking of is a finger roll, the word finger being there to warn you that it's not normal roll shaped and has little use outside of the one day a year where you can get the barbecue out and burn some sausages, the things we name hill rolling after. ;) 

A sausage roll wouldn't roll unless it was a really steep hill. A finger roll rolls on a slight incline, a cob would roll like a flat tyre, whereas I'd be happy to roll with a couple of baps.

Have you seen the new Vardy Rolls?

USC40RRC081A01300.jpg

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

A sausage roll wouldn't roll unless it was a really steep hill. A finger roll rolls on a slight incline, a cob would roll like a flat tyre, whereas I'd be happy to roll with a couple of baps.

Have you seen the new Vardy Rolls?

USC40RRC081A01300.jpg

But a sausage on its own would roll and you would call it a...

Edited by Carl the Llama

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

But a sausage on its own would roll and you would call it a...

Waste.

rolling Sausage

lonely

escapee from a English breakfast

...live

And now I've used up my last post of the day talking about a sausage :unsure:

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, The Bear said:

Chip cob unless it's on sliced bread then it's a butty. Even my local chippy in my youth used to call them chip cobs on the price board. 

Calling cobs a roll is just daft IMO. Must be a southern or middle class thing. 

Not sure how I would class Cambridge.No mans land?wouldnt class as Midlands or Southern,although we sound a bit Southern.

you say “yam” which is a vegetable instead of “you are”

14 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Not sure how I would class Cambridge.No mans land?wouldnt class as Midlands or Southern,although we sound a bit Southern.

you say “yam” which is a vegetable instead of “you are”

Cambridge is definitely south but it's like the borderlands. South Cambridge, Foxton etc feels very home counties / London overspill. North Cambridge like Histon or Waterbeach starts feeling much more Fenland. Then when you hit Ely you're properly in the flatlands. 

Cambridge is a weird mix in general. You've got the elitist Uni atmosphere, the Fenland middle-of-nowhere feel and then the facking Landaner types down Mill Road. I love the place but it's one of the weirdest cities I've ever been to.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

Cambridge is definitely south but it's like the borderlands. South Cambridge, Foxton etc feels very home counties / London overspill. North Cambridge like Histon or Waterbeach starts feeling much more Fenland. Then when you hit Ely you're properly in the flatlands. 

Cambridge is a weird mix in general. You've got the elitist Uni atmosphere, the Fenland middle-of-nowhere feel and then the facking Landaner types down Mill Road. I love the place but it's one of the weirdest cities I've ever been to.

Hit the nail on the head “The Cambridge Cockneys “

Mill Road is great,some excellent pubs around that area.

Very bleak in the flatlands near me.

1 minute ago, cambridgefox said:

Hit the nail on the head “The Cambridge Cockneys “

Mill Road is great,some excellent pubs around that area.

Very bleak in the flatlands near me.

Love the Kingston, especially in the summer. You in Ely proper or a village?

Nice to talk to a sophisticated southerner not these weird northern monkeys with their cobs and whatnot. 

29 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Barbeques are one of the most overrated things ever.

Usually full of pseudo alpha males wrongly thinking they can magically cook decent meat because the cooking is being done outside and not in a kitchen.

What have provoked that rant given it is winter at the moment?  

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

Love the Kingston, especially in the summer. You in Ely proper or a village?

Nice to talk to a sophisticated southerner not these weird northern monkeys with their cobs and whatnot. 

? Village now,but have lived in Cambridge,i now have webbing on my fingers etc

i was in The Kingston in between Xmas and New Year.

2 hours we said to my mates wife and my wife as we were over theirs for dinner. 7 1/2 hours later and getting on the wrong train due to drink we were not very popular!

what was amusing was we left before the others that were going to Ely ,when they got off the train at Ely Station only to see us waiting for a train back to Cambridge !