Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

17 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I'm assuming your point is that rather than spending loads on war etc we should spend more on NHS? I think most sane people want this assuming money spent on war is pointless. I think however if we just scrapped all of our defences the deaths from war and terrorism would be drastically bigger.

That's a fair argument (assuming that there isn't multilateral simultaneous disarmament), but I think the point is that people seem to be really unnecessarily afraid of terrorist acts/violent deaths when there's a veritable laundry list of things more likely to shove you off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's a fair argument (assuming that there isn't multilateral simultaneous disarmament), but I think the point is that people seem to be really unnecessarily afraid of terrorist acts/violent deaths when there's a veritable laundry list of things more likely to shove you off.

I'm all for mutual disarmament but it's impossible, there will always be some crazy leader. I think the fear comes from control. You can choose to be healthy or avoid driving etc but violence is out of someone's control. I do feel that scaremongering is very prominent from media and the far right but I do also believe it's not irrational to be frightened of it.

19 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I'm all for mutual disarmament but it's impossible, there will always be some crazy leader. I think the fear comes from control. You can choose to be healthy or avoid driving etc but violence is out of someone's control. I do feel that scaremongering is very prominent from media and the far right but I do also believe it's not irrational to be frightened of it.

^ This is doubly true in the United States. Our most xenophobic and closed-off areas are the ones who are the least likely to ever encounter the things and people that they are fearful of.

6 hours ago, Benguin said:

I'm assuming your point is that rather than spending loads on war etc we should spend more on NHS? I think most sane people want this assuming money spent on war is pointless. I think however if we just scrapped all of our defences the deaths from war and terrorism would be drastically bigger.

no, it was just a reaction to this...

On 08/02/2018 at 22:26, Wymeswold fox said:

The NHS concerns are emphasised on too much, and other areas such as national security and immigration need extra attention.

National security and immigration already receive well more than they require and the world would be a whole lot better if spending on these areas was reduced and redirected to the NHS etc.

Although lol, as i mentioned we are keeping people alive far too long anyway, so maybe ive got it arse about and we need to spend more on killing folk.

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I seem to remember when we had the Manchester bombing during the election campaign, the lefties on here blamed it on Tory cuts to the police.

I think thats a reaction to the right blaming it on Islam in general and ignoring the west's actual role in helping to create terrorism.  Admittedly, probably equally useless

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I think thats a reaction to the right blaming it on Islam in general and ignoring the west's actual role in helping to create terrorism.  Admittedly, probably equally useless

I think it was standard hypocrisy that we all indulge in at times. The premise is that we should spend more on health and less on security. That's exactly what's happened since 2010. NHS spending has gone up, maybe not enough, but it has gone up, and spending on defense and the police has gone down.

49 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

no, it was just a reaction to this...

National security and immigration already receive well more than they require and the world would be a whole lot better if spending on these areas was reduced and redirected to the NHS etc.

Although lol, as i mentioned we are keeping people alive far too long anyway, so maybe ive got it arse about and we need to spend more on killing folk.

I think it's altogether more sinister than that, Oz.

The assault on education and universal healthcare is a reaction to a changing world. In days gone by the elites needed the plebs to work in their factories and fight their wars, so they had to give them a modicum of education and keep them healthy. With the ever increasing use of robotics and technology, these things are increasingly no longer true. The plebs are becoming irrelevant, and the day will come where the cost of keeping them alive and educated will be greater than their worth. The elites will never willingly relinquish their power, and if the masses don't rise up and sieze control before that tipping point arrives, it will be too late.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buce said:

The assault on education and universal healthcare is a reaction to a changing world. In days gone by the elites needed the plebs to work in their factories and fight their wars.

Here's our "assault" on education, throwing more and more children into better schools.

Honestly, some of the paranoia on this thread over the last few pages....

https://fullfact.org/education/more-pupils-good-or-outstanding-schools/

In brief

Claim

There are 1.8 million more children in good or outstanding schools.

Conclusion

Correct. 1.8 million more pupils were in good or outstanding schools in 2016 than in 2010. This progress is partly due to Ofsted's changing 

There were 1.8 million more pupils in good or outstanding rated schools in England as of August 2016 compared to August 2010.

The total number of pupils has increased every year since 2009, but the proportion of pupils in good or outstanding schools has also increased. 86% of pupils were in one in August 2016, compared to 66% in August 2010.

23% of pupils were in schools rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted, 64% ‘good’, 11% ‘requires improvement’ and 2% ‘inadequate’.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Here's our "assault" on education, throwing more and more children into better schools.

Honestly, some of the paranoia on this thread over the last few pages....

https://fullfact.org/education/more-pupils-good-or-outstanding-schools/

In brief

Claim

There are 1.8 million more children in good or outstanding schools.

Conclusion

Correct. 1.8 million more pupils were in good or outstanding schools in 2016 than in 2010. This progress is partly due to Ofsted's changing 

There were 1.8 million more pupils in good or outstanding rated schools in England as of August 2016 compared to August 2010.

The total number of pupils has increased every year since 2009, but the proportion of pupils in good or outstanding schools has also increased. 86% of pupils were in one in August 2016, compared to 66% in August 2010.

23% of pupils were in schools rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted, 64% ‘good’, 11% ‘requires improvement’ and 2% ‘inadequate’.

I see you've missed a large part of that article off where it goes on to say that a contributing factor to this is the change in Ofted's rating system. Though it does conclude that generally speaking it is good news.

The bigger problem is keeping teachers in education thanks to the demand placed on them. Almost a quarter of those whom qualified post 2011 have already quit. My fiancee is currently just over half the way through her PGCE in secondary English and, whilst she is doing very well and already has a job secured in a top Leicestershire school for next year, she is utterly exhausted. She's up at a little after 6 every day, has breakfast at the school and continues to work through until about 8, sometimes later if she also has an essay due; and she's very much not alone in having that routine. Perhaps that has always been the case for trainee teachers, but that kind of routine can't go on for 20,30, 40 years. Yes the holidays takes some pressure off, but I don't envy her workload whatsoever.

There are also the matters of the Government completely overhauling the grading system for seemingly no good reason, an unhealthy focus on 'pupil premium' students because they are a financial incentive and the lack of any kind of creative subject in favour of  those like Latin and extra 'core' subjects amongst a long list of issues that have come up in recent years.  

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

I seem to remember when we had the Manchester bombing during the election campaign, the lefties on here blamed it on Tory cuts to the police.

Nobody blamed the attack on the cuts.

We (and the police themselves) pointed out that police cuts has meant less ability to gather local intelligence. The police warned teresa may of this when as Home Office SofS she accused them of scare mongering.

The police then categorically clarified that despite government claims to have increased the number of armed officers, this just  wasn't true.

The attack wasn't the direct fault of the Tories but their policies are making it harder for the police to do their job. 

Just now, toddybad said:

Nobody blamed the attack on the cuts.

We (and the police themselves) pointed out that police cuts has meant less ability to gather local intelligence. The police warned teresa may of this when as Home Office SofS she accused them of scare mongering.

The police then categorically clarified that despite government claims to have increased the number of armed officers, this just  wasn't true.

The attack wasn't the direct fault of the Tories but their policies are making it harder for the police to do their job. 

Funny how the police never seen to fail to find officers to appear at gay price or ride the dodgems at the fairgound when concerned about community relations.

Doesn't seen to be a problem finding funding to chase people for being nasty on Twitter or to investigate make believe paedophile rings in Westminster either. 

Soon as you see past political motivation you realise it's about how you allocate funding, preventative policing needs to return.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Funny how the police never seen to fail to find officers to appear at gay price or ride the dodgems at the fairgound when concerned about community relations.

Doesn't seen to be a problem finding funding to chase people for being nasty on Twitter or to investigate make believe paedophile rings in Westminster either. 

Soon as you see past political motivation you realise it's about how you allocate funding, preventative policing needs to return.

Nothing is ever the government's fault is it?

11 hours ago, Benguin said:

Yeah, the point about mutual disarmament was a theoretical pipe dream, it won't happen.

Tbh I think we have a lot less control over our lives that many people think and we push the narrative of being masters of our own fate purely to make ourselves feel better. Violence is out of our control - but then so is the guy not braking and ploughing into you at a junction, or the aneurysm that takes down the healthiest person alive without any hint of a warning. There are so many elements of our lives that are in the hands of either other people or dumb luck. Why should violent endings have an additional element of fear when they're as subject to such as many other deaths?

4 hours ago, Buce said:

The assault on education and universal healthcare is a reaction to a changing world. In days gone by the elites needed the plebs to work in their factories and fight their wars, so they had to give them a modicum of education and keep them healthy. With the ever increasing use of robotics and technology, these things are increasingly no longer true. The plebs are becoming irrelevant, and the day will come where the cost of keeping them alive and educated will be greater than their worth. The elites will never willingly relinquish their power, and if the masses don't rise up and sieze control before that tipping point arrives, it will be too late.

I would dismiss this as a conspiracy theory too...but then a simple look at history shows that power tends to do pretty nasty things to people, who then do nastier things to those around them. In short, don't underestimate the degree to which humans can be dickish to one another, given power.

^^ That might be an unpopular opinion in itself, actually.

Edited by leicsmac

4 hours ago, David Guiza said:

I see you've missed a large part of that article off where it goes on to say that a contributing factor to this is the change in Ofted's rating system. Though it does conclude that generally speaking it is good news.

The bigger problem is keeping teachers in education thanks to the demand placed on them. Almost a quarter of those whom qualified post 2011 have already quit. My fiancee is currently just over half the way through her PGCE in secondary English and, whilst she is doing very well and already has a job secured in a top Leicestershire school for next year, she is utterly exhausted. She's up at a little after 6 every day, has breakfast at the school and continues to work through until about 8, sometimes later if she also has an essay due; and she's very much not alone in having that routine. Perhaps that has always been the case for trainee teachers, but that kind of routine can't go on for 20,30, 40 years. Yes the holidays takes some pressure off, but I don't envy her workload whatsoever.

There are also the matters of the Government completely overhauling the grading system for seemingly no good reason, an unhealthy focus on 'pupil premium' students because they are a financial incentive and the lack of any kind of creative subject in favour of  those like Latin and extra 'core' subjects amongst a long list of issues that have come up in recent years.  

There are teachers and there are teachers( that goes with most jobs)

lady few doors down does those sort of hours and is a credit to the school.

Bloke 4 doors down beats the bloody kids home!does very little to motivate any child and is appalling.

21 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

People who say cobs( male swan)

instead of rolls.

"Cob" is the correct Leicester phrase though

"Barm" and "barm cake" can get to fvck though. Apparently some weirdos call plain bread rolls "muffin" or "teacake", which is pretty disturbing.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

People who say cobs( male swan)

instead of rolls.

Thus proving that though you may be a City fan through and through, you were born a Yellowbelly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/asop/people/what_is_a_yellowbelly.shtml

Mind you, the webbed toes are a dead giveaway too... lol 

46 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

"Cob" is the correct Leicester phrase though

"Barm" and "barm cake" can get to fvck though. Apparently some weirdos call plain bread rolls "muffin" or "teacake", which is pretty disturbing.

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

Thus proving that though you may be a City fan through and through, you were born a Yellowbelly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/asop/people/what_is_a_yellowbelly.shtml

Mind you, the webbed toes are a dead giveaway too... lol 

Cambridge Cockney 

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Its a cob unless it's got chips, then it's a butty. Otherwise, you're wrong.

Chip cob.

Surely a chip butty utilises 2 slices of cheap white bread?