Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

16 hours ago, The Bear said:

Chip cob unless it's on sliced bread then it's a butty. Even my local chippy in my youth used to call them chip cobs on the price board. 

Calling cobs a roll is just daft IMO. Must be a southern or middle class thing. 

Yes it was a southern MC Thing...

When I Started to Go around the southern counties.

I found myself trying to educated them, unsuccessfully,thick snobs, stay snobs.

A Roll,is so call because It is rolled ,a cob is dough Former AS a....cob.

In Small or larger Forms,in York-Lancshire areas,a cob,is a loaf with a large round formed Base

With a Small round Form on top.  because a cob in old English,was a smaller mound/Hill ,

on a large Hill,or Peak.

In parts of the midlands, it was known as a double cob,because the Interpretation was a cob

was actually  a near perfect round Hill or mound.

Another old use, of that loaf was the interpretation because of the 

Firmround muscles of the Large anglo-norman horse known as a cob....

16 hours ago, The Bear said:

Chip cob unless it's on sliced bread then it's a butty. Even my local chippy in my youth used to call them chip cobs on the price board. 

Calling cobs a roll is just daft IMO. Must be a southern or middle class thing. 

In Small or larger Forms,in York-Lancshire areas,a cob,is a loaf with a large round formed Base

With a Small round Form on top.  because a cob in old English,was a smaller mound/Hill ,

on a large Hill,or Peak.

In parts of the midlands, it was known as a double cob,because the Interpretation was a cob

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Barbeques are one of the most overrated things ever.

Usually full of pseudo alpha males wrongly thinking they can magically cook decent meat because the cooking is being done outside and not in a kitchen.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Barbeques are one of the most overrated things ever.

Usually full of pseudo alpha males wrongly thinking they can magically cook decent meat because the cooking is being done outside and not in a kitchen.

bbqs are amazing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

on a large Hill,or Peak.

“Thick snobs stay snobs”??

It was a piss take post  as it’s a well known fact people from different parts of the country call some items by other names.

like your History though.

A cob for me is a male swan at Welney Wash and if I was snobby enough I could eat that!

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

“Thick snobs stay snobs”??

It was a piss take post  as it’s a well known fact people from different parts of the country call some items by other names.

like your History though.

A cob for me is a male swan at Welney Wash and if I was snobby enough I could eat that!

My Bad ,It should of read,stay thick..but hey ho.

And noway can a Roll be called a cob..think of cobbles ,cobbledstreet. Origins dont

Change..But there was an interesting book on Polite society on Word /phrase Changes,

because some words we're felt to be too corse.and not  gentil.

I studied anthropology and Peoples Origin of language and evolvement.

Street and education ,cultural Variations....The twists ,Tangents and variables were interesting.

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

My Bad ,It should of read,stay thick..but hey ho.

And noway can a Roll be called a cob..think of cobbles ,cobbledstreet. Origins dont

Change..But there was an interesting book on Polite society on Word /phrase Changes,

because some words we're felt to be too corse.and not  gentil.

I studied anthropology and Peoples Origin of language and evolvement.

Street and education ,cultural Variations....The twists ,Tangents and variables were interesting.

My nan always says Docky instead of lunch.This used to go back to the olden days of farming in the Fens( maybe elsewhere too)

where you had a flask of broth that you could eat/drink while working,because if you stopped you were docked wages.

In my experience in Leicestershire dinner, supper and tea are all interchangeable - we don't tend to stick to one. Since moving to Sheffield I found that jitty and chewy (as in chewing gum) are part of the Midlands lexicon.

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

In my experience in Leicestershire dinner, supper and tea are all interchangeable - we don't tend to stick to one. Since moving to Sheffield I found that jitty and chewy (as in chewing gum) are part of the Midlands lexicon.

Supper is a meal/snack after teatime surely?

9 hours ago, Wookie said:

I think it's a class thing; It goes

breakfast, dinner, tea (working class)

breakfast, lunch, dinner (middle class)

I think there's an agreement on supper being a late evening (usually light) snack.

That said, I'm sure there are regional differences.

Supper, dinner and tea have always been interchangeable terms for the main evening meal for this here southern ponce.  Never seen dinner used for lunch, as far as I'm concerned lunch is called lunch and nothing else, likewise breakfast. Thinking about it it's a bit weird that dinner's the only one with alternative terms but that's just how it goes.

Brunch can get in the bin though, just call it breakfast if it's your first meal of the day, having it a bit later in the day changes nothing.

Breakfast is breakfast, lunch is lunch, everything else is just a synonym for your evening meal and a pointless argument. 

Oh and if it's bread and not loaf shaped, it's a cob. Crusty? Cob. Soft? Still a cob.

Baps is just a funny word for chebs and should be used in no other context. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Wookie said:

Chuddy, surely? Kids these days...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Supper, dinner and tea have always been interchangeable terms for the main evening meal for this here southern ponce.  Never seen dinner used for lunch, as far as I'm concerned lunch is called lunch and nothing else, likewise breakfast. Thinking about it it's a bit weird that dinner's the only one with alternative terms but that's just how it goes.

Brunch can get in the bin though, just call it breakfast if it's your first meal of the day, having it a bit later in the day changes nothing.

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Breakfast is breakfast, lunch is lunch, everything else is just a synonym for your evening meal and a pointless argument. 

Oh and if it's bread and not loaf shaped, it's a cob. Crusty? Cob. Soft? Still a cob.

Baps is just a funny word for chebs and should be used in no other context. 

Have you never heard working class kids speak of their 'dinner money'? Have you never heard school meals referenced as 'school dinners'?

http://www.dolce.co.uk/catering/menus

Don't you work for the council, Finners? https://www.leicester.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/school-and-colleges/school-dinners/

http://www.stimpsonavenueacademy.org/information/school-dinners.php

Edited by Buce

16 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

bbqs are amazing 

Only if its around or above 20 degrees and the people in charge of the food actually know what they are doing.

Sadly at the majority of bbqs burgers and sausages are burnt on the outside and raw on the inside and involve t shirt drinking outside in 10 degree conditions.

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Have you never heard working class kids speak of their 'dinner money'? Have you never heard school meals referenced as 'school dinners'?

Don't you work for the council, Finners? https://www.leicester.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/school-and-colleges/school-dinners/

The confusing bit for me is that my kids can either have a school dinner - or take a packed lunch :blink:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

Of course I've heard it. I don't live under a rock. 

It's still wrong. You have dinner after 5pm and no sooner. 

School "dinner" is a misnomer. It's lunch. 

Edit: and class has nothing to do with using the wrong vocabulary. 

Edit edit: class has something to do with it. If you say "supper" you were either born in 1812 or you're a posh cvnt. 

Edited by Finnegan