Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

Adrien Silva

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Watched him most of tonight and all of his home games for us last year. Stats are stats. No matter how many successful passes he made tonight it hardly made him a world beater. Ronaldo for example probably had a less successful pass count statistically but his were more ambitious and potentially game changing. Stats are a guide but never a full story.

I agree that stats are not the be all and end all and I also agree that some players have more of an impact with fewer "important stats".  What I do find weird is that you chose the night a player who just had more successful passes then any other in the history of Portuguese World Cup football to have a wee dig.  Seems churlish to me.  You may be right but today was an odd time to attempt to make your point.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

No I'm not but a lot of previous signings have been very poor you have to admit. Our DofE tends to cop for most of the flack but he sure didn't choose them did he and nor did Ranieri.

Won't argue against you there, but I think Adrien has a role to play here.

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

What do you want him to do? His role wasn't a creative one. Want him to venture out of his position against his manager's orders?

No I don't Beechey your absolutely right, all I'm trying to say is that regardless of stats it' his performances in the premiership that counts for us and some people may think this is the dawn of a new revitalised world beater. Iran were no great team and in the premiership he would be expectd to produce more than his minor role tonight. Lest not forget, he really struggled against the mighty Fleetwood when they were slighty physical.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

No I don't Beechey your absolutely right, all I'm trying to say is that regardless of stats it' his performances in the premiership that counts for us and some people may think this is the dawn of a new revitalised world beater. Iran were no great team and in the premiership he would be expectd to produce more than his minor role tonight. Lest not forget, he really struggled against the mighty Fleetwood when they were slighty physical.

I think it is more that they are basing it on a very successful domestic and international career over 10 years than what was a very unfortunate and disjointed first season for him in England last year.  You may be proved right but he definitely has the pedigree and definitely deserves a chance before being written off.  X

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think it is more that they are basing it on a very successful domestic and international career over 10 years than what was a very unfortunate and disjointed first season for him in England last year.  You may be proved right but he definitely has the pedigree and definitely deserves a chance before being written off.  X

Club wise some success but also loaned out a lot. Internationally when they won the euros he didn't get a sniff. A decent player in his home league but I don't think that appears to transfer here well from what I've seen. Really hope your right and I'm badly wrong! Think he's only with them this time because their desparate due to injuries. On another note I was hoping to have a look at Perreira but they seem to prefer Cedric every game. At least with him I suppose Puel has worked wth him before which should be reassuring. 

43 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

They've just updated the online Urban Dictionary.  If you Google "Had a Mare" they now just have a picture of Weller54.  X

Haha!!.. 

Very good. 

But I'm still not convinced he'll hack it in the PL.. Wonderful having great stats (and loads of successful sideways passes) against Iran... But I'm not sure he'll do the same against PL midfield competition! 

Time will tell. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Watched him most of tonight and all of his home games for us last year. Stats are stats. No matter how many successful passes he made tonight it hardly made him a world beater. Ronaldo for example probably had a less successful pass count statistically but his were more ambitious and potentially game changing. Stats are a guide but never a full story.

Oh was certainly game changing. Would of been three points instead of one if he could of beaten one of the most questionable members of the Iranian squad unopposed from 12 yards.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Do you mean the same Adrien Silva that was in the starting XI in the final?

POR-FRA_2016-07-10_svg.png.e4b854d35ef2bffd194e9b8feaa28739.png

He was also only "loaned about a lot" before the age of 22 after which he was pretty much an ever present for his time there but hey ho, why let the truth get in the way of a nice old fashioned witch hunt.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

In all honesty he's not what I expected. He did a job tonight that was unspectacular but he did it very well. He kept things ticking over and didn't screw up.

Last season he didn't do that role for us, but we have Wilf to break up play and play the simple ball. It seems like he was playing in a position totally alien to him trying too hard at times to prove that he was worthy of a World Cup place even after missing half the season.

Hopefully Maddison is the one we need because apparently in Ibbora, Wilf and Silva we have three defensive central midfielders.

42 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

He was also only "loaned about a lot" before the age of 22 after which he was pretty much an ever present for his time there but hey ho, why let the truth get in the way of a nice old fashioned witch hunt.  X

I stand corrected on all counts, so much for where I got my info from, seems like a firm grasp of the wrong end of the stick!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

He'll  only be a success here in a midfield 3. With WiFi on the right and a new signing on the left. Another big strong lad who can physical in midfield while Silva picks up the pieces and provides the passes.

He's  simply not quick enough nor strong enough for the premiership.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

He'll  only be a success here in a midfield 3. With WiFi on the right and a new signing on the left. Another big strong lad who can physical in midfield while Silva picks up the pieces and provides the passes.

He's  simply not quick enough nor strong enough for the premiership.

We need to get WIFI up to speed first though. 

Personally I think we need a broader band of choices to support Silva in midfield... Just to find that right connection. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I stand corrected on all counts, so much for where I got my info from, seems like a firm grasp of the wrong end of the stick!

I'm only being silly too, we all make mistakes.  Just riles me sometimes when players get a hard time.  X