Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

Adrien Silva

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Give him some time. He didn't get a preseason etc and has come in at a poor time. A full pre season behind him and some better players alongside him I think we'll see a good player.

He did at SCP 

if you were to break break your leg at the end of Aug and come back at the beginning of jan, you would expect to be up to speed by May ! 

He is just struggling with the tempo and physicality of the PL 

• Like 1

Personally I think he's a good player. If he had players around him that created space then that's when we'll see him at his best. 

A couple of times yesterday he threaded balls into vardys feet. No other player did that in 90 minutes. 

He is very lightweight but that's something he can work on in the gym. 

50 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He did at SCP 

if you were to break break your leg at the end of Aug and come back at the beginning of jan, you would expect to be up to speed by May ! 

He is just struggling with the tempo and physicality of the PL 

But maybe not if it was a double break. :D

Really wanting him to succeed here and I'm hoping he will come good next season. Having my doubts like most on here but we quite often write players off too early.

Certainly not an upgrade / equivalent to Drinkwater, or Andy King for that matter. Like Slimani another signing from a poor league and for an inflated fee. Sporting? Benfica? Both about as competitive as a mid table Championship side. But with our lazy recruitment team, headed by the hapless Rudkin, I guess there'll be more of the same over upcoming windows.

He's had 10 starts for the team now and a solid run in the side; that's enough to make a decent assessment of a player that cost over £20M. He has good touches and there's clearly something there, but he's been underwhelming so far, especially compared to Iborra who also started slowly but after 10 or so games started to become an integral part of the team (before being bizarrely dropped by Puel). Silva has yet to dominate or dictate the game which Drinkwater and even Iborra have been able to do at times. Maybe he's not that type of player. He's not another Inler but given that we lost Drinkwater, he's not been anywhere as influential as Drinkwater on his day was.

I could still see him coming good because his touch and intelligence is a class above. But I think the coaching team need to get him to do some serious work in the gym this summer to get stronger to cope with the physical demands of the league. He also needs a clearly defined role, something which Puel is not helping with by changing the formation and lineup every match.

But as of right now, it would be hard to give him anything better than a 5/10. 

On 05/05/2018 at 18:50, esoog said:

People criticising mahrez complete nuts, with a memory of my dog with Alzheimer's. 

.....he is hiding!!

Should not be on the pitch and despite what he has said regarding retracting his transfer request (more money in his pocket when sold) he will not be here next season. He keeps drifting into central midfield avoids any situations which requires a tackle to be made if it is not 70/30 in his favour. As this is the last home game I suppose he will be played but the previous games should not have included him on the team sheet.

7 hours ago, yorksfox said:

Certainly not an upgrade / equivalent to Drinkwater, or Andy King for that matter. Like Slimani another signing from a poor league and for an inflated fee. Sporting? Benfica? Both about as competitive as a mid table Championship side. But with our lazy recruitment team, headed by the hapless Rudkin, I guess there'll be more of the same over upcoming windows.

Would a mid table championship club win the European Cup?  Twice?

Don't be ridiculous.  If you were right, they would be battered out of sight in Europe every year.

Either of them would beat us.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Would a mid table championship club win the European Cup?  Twice?

Don't be ridiculous.  If you were right, they would be battered out of sight in Europe every year.

Either of them would beat us.

Why oh why did you have to say this?:unsure:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Why oh why did you have to say this?:unsure:

Ha - I know what you mean.  Some idiot is going to say the F-word aren't they.

...But they have fallen from grace a long long way since those days, Benfica are still a force in their league.

Edited by murphy

Don't happen to think either of Sporting or Porto would last a season in the Premier League, regardless of what they may or may not have won in the past. A certain team from the East Midlands who won the PL only 2 years ago this week, could soon be facing Championship football if they don't start recruiting more effectively and leave the Portuguese league well alone.

On 07/05/2018 at 10:29, StriderHiryu said:

He's had 10 starts for the team now and a solid run in the side; that's enough to make a decent assessment of a player that cost over £20M. He has good touches and there's clearly something there, but he's been underwhelming so far, especially compared to Iborra who also started slowly but after 10 or so games started to become an integral part of the team (before being bizarrely dropped by Puel). Silva has yet to dominate or dictate the game which Drinkwater and even Iborra have been able to do at times. Maybe he's not that type of player. He's not another Inler but given that we lost Drinkwater, he's not been anywhere as influential as Drinkwater on his day was.

I could still see him coming good because his touch and intelligence is a class above. But I think the coaching team need to get him to do some serious work in the gym this summer to get stronger to cope with the physical demands of the league. He also needs a clearly defined role, something which Puel is not helping with by changing the formation and lineup every match.

But as of right now, it would be hard to give him anything better than a 5/10. 

Not sure why people say it was Bizarre Iborra got dropped, he wasn't playing very well and after a decent start was plagued with the same inconsistencies that Silva is. One good pass, one pass straight into touch. He probably should have come back in a bit sooner, but James came in and we did quite well for a spell.

23 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

It really gets me how people can say he is shit, we have fvcked him over royally.

****ed up his signing, ****ed up his chances at World Cup, ****ed up any chance he has of settling into this side, ****ed up any chance of seeing the best of him this season.

all over 14 seconds - what a joke. 

he's a well decorated and experienced player and I'd imagine that if we'd have signed him in proper time, got him settled into a coherent team (which we are absolutely not atm), then we would be seeing his quality by now.

nobody to blame but ourselv... Rudkin?

:frusty:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not sure why people say it was Bizarre Iborra got dropped, he wasn't playing very well and after a decent start was plagued with the same inconsistencies that Silva is. One good pass, one pass straight into touch. He probably should have come back in a bit sooner, but James came in and we did quite well for a spell.

You've consistently alluded to this when people question why Iborra was dropped. Iborra was absolutely fine up until the Palace game when pretty much all of them were heinous. He only started one further league game from then until he was finally given another go in Feb/March time? I think it was harsh for him to suddenly be down the pecking order, the team was on it's best run prior to that Palace game and from then on we were never as consistent or as impressive. Since January we have been so mediocre and it's sliding fast in to being a disgrace.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You've consistently alluded to this when people question why Iborra was dropped. Iborra was absolutely fine up until the Palace game when pretty much all of them were heinous. He only started one further league game from then until he was finally given another go in Feb/March time? I think it was harsh for him to suddenly be down the pecking order, the team was on it's best run prior to that Palace game and from then on we were never as consistent or as impressive. Since January we have been so mediocre and it's sliding fast in to being a disgrace.

Well I think his performances were becoming very average and he was making more and more mistakes. I wasn't impressed with the Burnley or Newcastle games before Palace, despite winning. Not that I think whoscored is worth the time of day, but seeing as others use it as gospel... his ratings on there started dropping quite rapidly as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well I think his performances were becoming very average and he was making more and more mistakes. I wasn't impressed with the Burnley or Newcastle games before Palace, despite winning. Not that I think whoscored is worth the time of day, but seeing as others use it as gospel... his ratings on there started dropping quite rapidly as well.

I agree somewhat although I also think dropping and then keeping him out the team for so long, was a mistake on Puel's part. 

His qualities are exactly what Puel requires his players to have for this system of his to work, i.e calm and confident on the ball and can pick a pass. He's the only CM we have capable of that. 

By not bringing him back into the team or adapting the style, Puel again demonstrates a self-harming stubbornness! 

On 06/05/2018 at 14:49, Pete from the USA said:

I agree. Silva can't pick out a pass when nobody is open. The problem with the West Ham game was that there was no organization. There was plenty of huffing and puffing, but nobody knew where anyone else was headed or where to be. It looked like a bunch of guys playing together for the first time. We've never seen Silva play in a proper squad executing a plan.

By the way, look how well organized LCFC were in this match against Tottenham last November when Puel first took over:

What happened?

His own tactics began to be used,

rather than the new manager bounce.

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I have to agree with you on this one Babylon,  he's not impressed me much either and wasn't worth a place in the team. Initially I thought he was was going to be one of those cool unflustered individuals at the back but 1 good pass could be followed by 2 bad. He was cumbersome and against quicker passing teams seemed slow to react and loathe to run back and help out,  he dawdles about often without purpose happy for others to do the grafting for him. At times he looks mesmurised by the pace of the game against half decent opposition. At 29/30 like Silva, its going to be hard to put a life time of football behind them and adapt but hope I'm wrong.  You certainly couldn't do with him, Silva and Marhez in the side else nothing would get done!

Edited by volpeazzurro

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I agree somewhat although I also think dropping and then keeping him out the team for so long, was a mistake on Puel's part. 

His qualities are exactly what Puel requires his players to have for this system of his to work, i.e calm and confident on the ball and can pick a pass. He's the only CM we have capable of that. 

By not bringing him back into the team or adapting the style, Puel again demonstrates a self-harming stubbornness! 

I agree, he should have come back in as soon as the form of James started dipping.

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I’d say Iborra has those qualities too.