Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

'Plaudits for our atmosphere' ?! Not any more

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

If Swansea win the league in 2021 by some miracle and came here and sang it to us we'd think they were ridiculous.

It's the opposition fans job to gloat and goad us and our job is to find them ridiculous and stupid. It's been going on for years in every club.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I do.

Last season I was going to places like Anfield and Goodison and I've got people around me chanting they'll never be "Champions of England". Fvck me.

But they won’t? They will not be champions of England any time soon

9 hours ago, SystonFox said:

I half understood this argument last season when we were reigning Champions. Now it's completely daft to sing it to former Champions, given that we are now also, you know, former Champions.

On a similar note... did I hear L1 singing 'Champions of England, you weren't even born' to Burnley the other day?! lol 

Edited by C-man
  • Like 1

I was at hull away on boxing day years ago. We were 3-2 the whole away end was singing "jingle bells, oh what fun it is to see the Leicester win away" and some bitter old bloke went absolutely mental at my dad "what the f*** are you doing, they always f***ing loose when we sing that." He was genuinely livid.

To this day I have no idea why that song made him so angry or why from an end of 2000 people he decided to take it out on my dad.

The moral of the story? Try not to let any song sung by your fella Leicester fans upset you too much your not going to stop them singing it and in the end you only upset yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I was at hull away on boxing day years ago. We were 3-2 the whole away end was singing "jingle bells, oh what fun it is to see the Leicester win away" and some bitter old bloke went absolutely mental at my dad "what the f*** are you doing, they always f***ing loose when we sing that." He was genuinely livid.

To this day I have no idea why that song made him so angry or why from an end of 2000 people he decided to take it out on my dad.

The moral of the story? Try not to let any song sung by your fella Leicester fans upset you too much your not going to stop them singing it and in the end you only upset yourself.

It's true though, years ago there was a real jinx feeling about the song. I remember being 1-0 up at stoke thanks to a Gary mills goal. We hadn't won away for over a year and some started singing jingle bells only to be shushed in a very concerned manner by plenty of other nervous fans. Needless to say the chant stopped and we won. lol:scarf:

Edited by Vlad the Fox

14 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Liverpool last won it in 1990 and Everton just a few years earlier in the late 80s so most people following these clubs will have seen them win the league. So they have sung it.

Edited by Fox92

5 hours ago, C-man said:

On a similar note... did I hear L1 singing 'Champions of England, you weren't even born' to Burnley the other day?! lol 

Yeah they did, a much better version to sing to clubs that won the league when theirs fans were employed in workhouses 

18 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Currently, I'd say it's probably appropriate for all except the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Can't see any others winning it in the near future, at least :rolleyes:

That said, I don't think it works that well when we aren't current champions.

You see, I think if we were going to sing it,sing it to the 2 Manchester clubs and Chelsea and no one else.

That way we might get away with being mildly amusing.

This will guarantee a "20 times, 20 times Man Utd"chant without fail.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Liverpool last won it in 1990 and Everton just a few years earlier in the late 80s so most people following these clubs will have seen them win the league. So they have sung it.

Yes they have sung it (past), but they never will sing it (future) especially Everton.

Seriously who cares?

Sing it ignorantly,

Sing it ironically,

Sing it to wind them up,

Sing it to have a laugh..

...but most importantly just fvcking sing it and sing it loud, and if gets a reaction from their fans even better, sing it back at them even louder.

We sing that we are "by far the  greatest  team the world has ever seen" or should we not sing that in case an opposition fan happened to watch Brazil in the 70s.

Is it any wonder that we can't get the ground singing WYS, "I can't sing that  I'm a miserable bugger, I will only sing something that accurately reflects my gloomy outlook on life"

44 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Yes they have sung it (past), but they never will sing it (future) especially Everton.

Seriously who cares?

Sing it ignorantly,

Sing it ironically,

Sing it to wind them up,

Sing it to have a laugh..

...but most importantly just fvcking sing it and sing it loud, and if gets a reaction from their fans even better, sing it back at them even louder.

We sing that we are "by far the  greatest  team the world has ever seen" or should we not sing that in case an opposition fan happened to watch Brazil in the 70s.

Is it any wonder that we can't get the ground singing WYS, "I can't sing that  I'm a miserable bugger, I will only sing something that accurately reflects my gloomy outlook on life"

Those two examples are clearly subjective opinions. Whether a club has won the league or not is a historical fact.

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Those two examples are clearly subjective opinions. Whether a club has won the league or not is a historical fact.

Nobody is singing "You've never won the league!"

It still doesn't matter, just sing, make some noise, have some fun and if you get a reaction out of the opposition fan all the better. Atmosphere comes from 2 sets of fans reacting to each other and to what is happening on the pitch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Nobody is singing "You've never won the league!"

It still doesn't matter, just sing, make some noise, have some fun and if you get a reaction out of the opposition fan all the better. Atmosphere comes from 2 sets of fans reacting to each other and to what is happening on the pitch.

If the reaction is "what a bunch of thick cvnts", I'll pass ta.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

If the reaction is "what a bunch of thick cvnts", I'll pass ta.

If you're really worried about what people think, and you are worried they can't grasp the nuance of the future tense, then just sing it at the players not the opposition fans, none of the Burnley squad will ever sing champions of England, so you can tell yourself and anyone else that cares* you're singing it at Dyche and Wood and Hendrick and Brady. They never have, would never have, never will, are never going to, will never have been champions of England.

Let's be honest, all chants are stupid and don't hold up to scrutiny, the whole concept of grown men all "singing" together is pretty cringeworthy, throw in a drum, clappers and the Poznan and we should all be ashamed of ourselves. If you think about it too hard, and worry too much about what people think, you will end up with a blanket round your legs and a prawn sandwich in each hand. The trick is not to think about, not to worry about it, if someone is trying to get some atmosphere going to spur on our boys, then just sing along with them**. Even if they are singing about shitting in someone's mum's hair.

* Nobody really cares

**The obvious exception to that rule is racist, homophobic and derogatory chants.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Or sing something else.

Are you going to sing something else over hundreds of people chanting "Champions of England, you'll never sing that!"?

You have 2 options when that chant gets going:

a) Join in

b) Don't

In which case you might as well just join in, it's all a bit of fun, and eventually it will peter out and be replaced by something equally inaccurate and just as stupid.

• Thanks 1