Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

'Plaudits for our atmosphere' ?! Not any more

46 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

That’s an awful attitude

Burnley deserve their place in the Premier League as they have earned it by performances on the pitch

if we are just looking at crowd sizes then we might aswell just give up

100%

I’ve  posted numerous times recently about the fact that Burnley is smaller than Nuneaton.

Some people need to grab a sense of perspective here....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Everygamefox said:

I’d rather have a big town like Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs then.

empty seats in the top league is not acceptable 

Oh fvck off. Every team are in the top flight on merit not history or attendance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

the first half was turgid and it's no surprise the atmosphere was a bit dead. 

2nd half we were much better, both on and off the pitch compared to the first half.

I enjoyed the first half. We had chances, and scored, they had a couple chances (well, free headers). The game was sort of end to end, very far from 'turgid'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd like to see a few of the old big clubs come back up now we've seen the underdogs like Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley and Huddersfield have success. I'd even like to see Forest or Derby come up so we can have a derby match to look forward to, it's hard to get up for vs West Brom lets face it 

West Brom are a "old big club". Pretty much similar history to us and, like us, have spent most of their history in the top two levels.

Some of you talk about other clubs as if we've won ten league titles.

Edited by Fox92

This big club shit is nonsense. The way to determine if one club is bigger than another is by which one would a player join if it were a choice between the two. It's the only way of doing it objectively, everything else comes down to opinion. It is constantly changing.

• Like 1

Just now, Lovejoy said:

This big club shit is nonsense. The way to determine if one club is bigger than another is by which one would a player join if it were a choice between the two. It's the only way of doing it objectively, everything else comes down to opinion. It is constantly changing.

Chris Wood left Leeds for Burnley. Burnley are in the top flight, Leeds aren't. It's simple.

"Leeds should be in the Prem because of their attendances". Yeah, they are a massive City with one club. Big wow. Burnley is smaller than Nuneaton. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Chris Wood left Leeds for Burnley. Burnley are in the top flight, Leeds aren't. It's simple.

"Leeds should be in the Prem because of their attendances". Yeah, they are a massive City with one club. Big wow. Burnley is smaller than Nuneaton. 

Too right.

Easy to forget as well, for a club in a town smaller than Nun'ton they're also Football League founder members, two time League Champions and 1 time FA Cup winners. Prior to our League win, our three League Cups for a one club city that's always been in the top 15 biggest cities in the U.K looks a rather meagre return. 

By success in their history, that would make Burnley a 'bigger club' than us. That's why I stand firmly against this whole big club shite. A club can only be measured by their success, over their two spells in the top flight Burnley under Dyche have adapted well and deserve to be challenging for a top 10 finish. By success over the last 5 years, our league win and Champion's League campaign, I'd put us in the top two or three currently most successful clubs in England, which is about right considering we can give anyone, even Atletico Madrid, a run for their money on our day. 

Comparative success is the only real barometer of a club. Anything else can get in the bin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Too right.

Easy to forget as well, for a club in a town smaller than Nun'ton they're also Football League founder members, two time League Champions and 1 time FA Cup winners. Prior to our League win, our three League Cups for a one club city that's always been in the top 15 biggest cities in the U.K looks a rather meagre return. 

By success in their history, that would make Burnley a 'bigger club' than us. That's why I stand firmly against this whole big club shite. A club can only be measured by their success, over their two spells in the top flight Burnley under Dyche have adapted well and deserve to be challenging for a top 10 finish. By success over the last 5 years, our league win and Champion's League campaign, I'd put us in the top two or three currently most successful clubs in England, which is about right considering we can give anyone, even Atletico Madrid, a run for their money on our day. 

Comparative success is the only real barometer of a club. Anything else can get in the bin.

Definitely. 

Pisses me off when people start the attendance shite yet don't consider geography at all. Not only is Burnley small but it's in an area where massive clubs in Manchester are just down the road. Leeds must have a population of about 400,000 and only has one club.

Burnley are doing well for themselves so good for them.

Edited by Fox92

5 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can't join in much from here in Oz, but how about ripping off that Man U one

Only once, only once Leicester City 

Only once is enough for me

Only once, only once Leicester City

We went and won the Premier League

I'll get my coat..

We had one going for little while when we won the Championship -

Champions, Champions Leicester City.

Champions, Champions I say.

Champions, Champions Leicester City.

Support the Foxes till my dying day.

21 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can't join in much from here in Oz, but how about ripping off that Man U one

Only once, only once Leicester City 

Only once is enough for me

Only once, only once Leicester City

We went and won the Premier League

I'll get my coat..

I actually like that lol

14 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Honestly, I'm really not sure whether some people have really short memories, or don't understand what turgid means, or have genuinely mistakenly tuned into the wrong stream at home sometimes! Having sat through some, quite frankly, absolute shit over the last 20 odd years today was a refreshing pleasure. I saw us keeping the ball on the floor, I saw us winning headers, tackles and corners, fvcking hell I even saw Wes passing the ball about! It wasn't perfect, it's no good winning corners if you can't place them better, but if we can't get behind the lads when they're producing possibly the best performance we've seen since Sevilla, I don't think we have much chance of improvement as a fanbase. 

Sorry, just my opinion.

I thought first half both teams were poor. Can't really think of a meaningful chance created for either side. Aside from the scrappy goal and Mahrez's shot before HT, it was pretty dull. Second half was slightly better, especially the last 10 minutes as we pushed for a third. The game was still perpetuated with hoofs and little quality on the ball though, it wouldn't have looked out of place in the Championship. 

Personally I'd rate our performance vs Spurs more highly as we actually had to defend against some top players and scored two world class goals.

Maybe I'm still just feeling spoiled after some of the wonderful football we produced the season before last.

6 minutes ago, claretbob said:

Just a point on what must have looked like a frankly pathetic attendance by us.The club in its infinite wisdom only asked for 1500 seats which sold out 4 weeks before the game.Why they didn't ask Leicester for the extra 1500 having known that is beyond belief since I can guarantee after our good run we would have sold 3000. It was pretty galling to see those emptey seats on Saturday since presumably Leicester were unavble to sell them or didn't try to.

As for the match I thought we looked ok before Brady's injury but after that you were clearly the stronger team and even as an opposition fan it is special to watch a player like Mahrez on that kind of form. Plenty of good banter between the fans and loved the fact that in the Premier inn where I was staying there was a Liverpool supporting cockney dad whose young kids were decked out in Leicester colours. As you can imagine in our parts its usually the opposite and with the lure of both Manchester clubs and Liverpool less than an hour away we do pretty well for crowds normally.

The lack of numbers in the Burnley end was a surprise as it looked on the TV that you took a good number to Bournemouth for a midweek game. I spoke to one of the stewards at half-time and they said what you've just posted. Maybe one of you should get in touch with the club and inform them that they have more willing away travellers then they realise.

On 2 December 2017 at 11:09, Line-X said:

Here's a bold prediction for today. Within two minutes of KO...

"Leicester, Leicester, Leicesterrrr Leicester" 

...to the tune of Amazing Grace. 

Genius.

It's ours though, I've not heard any other team sing it, oh hang, Atletico did after our game against them last season. Shit, ditch it.

In all seriousness though, and this is a general point not specifically aimed at you, there's too much crap talked about football chants, every teams fans have been knicking everyone else's songs since the beginning, no one stressed about it in the days some of you are so desperate to recreate, or moaned because we sang something that wasn't correct and made us look silly to the opposition fans. Football chants have always been boastful, hypocritical, close to the knuckle and at times downright misinformed and full of lies but no one ever cared, maybe it's the new hipster chant police that's holding everything back and it's them who need to adapt the attitude that if it improves the atmosphere who gives a **** and just join in. 

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

It's ours though, I've not heard any other team sing it, oh hang, Atletico did after our game against them last season. Shit, ditch it.

In all seriousness though, and this is a general point not specifically aimed at you, there's too much crap talked about football chants, every teams fans have been knicking everyone else's songs since the beginning, no one stressed about it in the days some of you are so desperate to recreate, or moaned because we sang something that wasn't correct and made us look silly to the opposition fans. Football chants have always been boastful, hypocritical, close to the knuckle and at times downright misinformed and full of lies but no one ever cared, maybe it's the new hipster chant police that's holding everything back and it's them who need to adapt the attitude that if it improves the atmosphere who gives a **** and just join in. 

The dirty knickers!

6 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Last year, it was even better when the FC Copenhagen fanbase were adapting and singing our chants back to us. Can you imagine an English travelling support visiting Denmark and doing the same?

6 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

no one stressed about it in the days some of you are so desperate to recreate, or moaned because we sang something that wasn't correct and made us look silly to the opposition fans. 

Perhaps that's because even back in the eighties - a time of stratospheric moronic heights on the terraces don't forget - had we won the league, we wouldn't have been ****ing stupid enough to sing "Champions of England you'll never sing that" at Derby County without the slightest hint of irony.

16 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Last year, it was even better when the FC Copenhagen fanbase were adapting and singing our chants back to us. Can you imagine an English travelling support visiting Denmark and doing the same?

Perhaps that's because even back in the eighties - a time of stratospheric moronic heights on the terraces don't forget - had we won the league, we wouldn't have been ****ing stupid enough to sing "Champions of England you'll never sing that" at Derby County without the slightest hint of irony.

Hooliganism has nothing to do with it we sang songs before all that,  and as I said, why does it bother you so much what we sing, I've heard some ridiculous things over the years from our fans and sang back at us,  but honestly can't say I've ever been bothered by the factual inaccuracies of it all, it's a football chant at the end of the day so stop being so sensitive. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox

turgid
ˈtəːdʒɪd/
adjective

1. 1.
    swollen and distended or congested.
    "a turgid and fast-moving river"
    synonyms: swollen, congested; More

2. 2.
    (of language or style) tediously pompous or bombastic.
    "some turgid verses on the death of Prince Albert"
    synonyms: bombastic, pompous, overblown, overripe, inflated, high-flown, affected, pretentious, grandiose, florid, flowery, ornate, magniloquent, grandiloquent, rhetorical, oratorical, orotund; More

14 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Hooliganism has nothing to do with it we sang songs before all that,  and as I said, why does it bother you so much what we sing, I've heard some ridiculous things over the years from our fans and sang back at us,  but honestly can't say I've ever been bothered by the factual inaccuracies of it all, it's a football chant at the end of the day so stop being so sensitive. 

Come on pal, "you'll never sing that" to fans whose clubs have won the league isn't a question of accuracy - it's just outright fvcking stupid.

• Like 2