Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

'Plaudits for our atmosphere' ?! Not any more

14 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I don't like generic football chants, I find them embarrassing - so what?

So are you going to do anything about this, or are you just going to put up with it and just moan on the internet? If you don't like something, do something about it. You probably have a few options, either stop going, go somewhere in the ground where you can't hear it, or try and make it better. First two are the easy options obviously. 

For some reason you are taking exception to this. 

I'm just asking if you're going to do anything about it, if not just say. 

If you think that the singing a nicked chant off Palace makes us stand out because we sing it louder than the other 50 clubs that stole it then that's entirely your prerogative and I wish you all the best.

Hate it. Also we haven't sung it in about 3 years but let's ignore that for the sake of the discussion. 

Like I say I'm just interested if you have any genuine ideas to make things better, from your posts so far probably not, but I'm all ears if I've misunderstood up until now :) 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

So how do we improve things? Where I am the only things people will join in with are the usual songs, and even then only for a very short while. I can hear SK1 but whenever something slightly different gets started it's largely ignored in my block, or just clapped along to. 

There's a group near me who will try to start something going, me and my other half join in, and apart from the funny looks we get that's it. And whenever we (as a fanbase I mean, not me personally) try to change the lyrics to a song people don't realise they've changed so the song just reverts to the original. Iwan is a Welshman being a good example. 

Printed song sheets on every seat? ? 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So are you going to do anything about this, or are you just going to put up with it and just moan on the internet? If you don't like something, do something about it. You probably have a few options, either stop going, go somewhere in the ground where you can't hear it, or try and make it better. First two are the easy options obviously. 

I suppose I could try supporting another club for a day - but then I'd be singing exactly the same songs.

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm just asking if you're going to do anything about it, it not just say. 

Yes - funny you should say that. I started the season with this great idea to welcome Eldin Jakupovic with an anthem adapted to Sutermeister's "Titus Feuerfuchs oder Die Liebe, Tücke und Perücke" theme. I thought I'd test it out in the B3 concourse but oddly enough, it never caught on.

17 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Hate it. Also we haven't sung it in about 3 years but let's ignore that for the sake of the discussion. 

You sure about that? lol lol lollol

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Like I say I'm just interested if you have any genuine ideas to make things better, from your posts so far probably not, but I'm all ears if I've misunderstood up until now :) 

Well since I've been supporting City, which is a very long time it's always been the same. I don't think you'll ever change it - it's the nature of football, but I think you'll agree, there are some teams supporters en-masse that have more individuality. Since football attracts a largely tribal following, perhaps you are right and in saying nothing I am just as guilty of following the herd. 

20 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You sure about that? lol lol lollol

I haven't heard it in ages but I guess it may still happen in other parts of the ground. 

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Well since I've been supporting City, which is a very long time it's always been the same. I don't think you'll ever change it - it's the nature of football, but I think you'll agree, there are some teams supporters en-masse that have more individuality. Since football attracts a largely tribal following, perhaps you are right and in saying nothing I am just as guilty of following the herd. 

I'd suggest that the reasons the likes of Liverpool and Man U have a varied, unique songbook, is that they have big groups of blokes who are always up for trying something new. I'd also take a guess that for every "Go on the piss with Georgie Best" type song, there will be a dozen or so that don't take off, but they just keep churning them until they find the ones that stick.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out, we've had some decent original efforts over the last few seasons and we avoided the "We've got *Insert player name*" fad last season. Sorry if it sounded like I was getting at you personally, as you say it's a difficult process and I'm under no illusions that it will take years to shift the culture in the right direction. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I haven't heard it in ages but I guess it may still happen in other parts of the ground. 

I'd suggest that the reasons the likes of Liverpool and Man U have a varied, unique songbook, is that they have big groups of blokes who are always up for trying something new. I'd also take a guess that for every "Go on the piss with Georgie Best" type song, there will be a dozen or so that don't take off, but they just keep churning them until they find the ones that stick.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out, we've had some decent original efforts over the last few seasons and we avoided the "We've got *Insert player name*" fad last season. Sorry if it sounded like I was getting at you personally, as you say it's a difficult process and I'm under no illusions that it will take years to shift the culture in the right direction. 

No need to apologise, you are defending your club and supporters, nothing wrong with that - and I very much agree with your first point about Liverpool and ManU for example. 

I'm wasn't "moaning on the internet" as you say, just poking fun at our lack of unoriginality. Christ, this is Foxes Talk - have you read the increasingly vitriolic and negative post match threads lately whenever we lose? 

Back to the OP, there are clubs like Southampton, that have a pretty staid atmosphere imo but are known for the humour in their songs - although I think they are guilty of the "we're coming for you" crap that Spurs nicked. It was originally sung at the skates next door. 

8 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Didn't they bring the full 3,200? Thought I saw they'd sold out their allocation 

Nope, they only sold out the one aisle closest our fans. The corner and aisles near the family stand were completely empty.

Certainly the worst away attendance I've seen at ours in the Premiership.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Nope, they only sold out the one aisle closest our fans. The corner and aisles near the family stand were completely empty.

Certainly the worst away attendance I've seen at ours in the Premiership.

Second worst I’d say, West Brom had the same and they’re just down the road

31 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

First half was woeful.

Picked up with about 10 minutes to go second half.

It didn't help that Burnley brought about 6 fans and the game itself was turgid.

Were you watching a different game to me? I thought it was one of the best games we've played this year! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

First half was woeful.

It didn't help that Burnley brought about 6 fans and the game itself was turgid.

It was a good game, we were great to watch again

25 minutes ago, Everygamefox said:

Burnley’s support is an embarrassment 

6th and to only bring that many fans should be an automatic points deduction 

To be fair Burnley is only a modest sized town so their support relatively is fine really 

added to that they are geographically close to the Manchester and Liverpool teams etc

Edited by Bob Weasel Fox

2 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

To be fair Burnley is only a modest sized town so their support relatively is fine really 

added to that they are geographically close to the Manchester and Liverpool teams etc

I’d rather have a big town like Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs then.

empty seats in the top league is not acceptable 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Smaller than Wellingborough. With 13 clubs all relatively close buy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

First half was woeful.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Were you watching a different game to me? I thought it was one of the best games we've played this year! 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

It was a good game, we were great to watch again

the first half was turgid and it's no surprise the atmosphere was a bit dead. 

2nd half we were much better, both on and off the pitch compared to the first half.

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

The odd thing is they have visited with double that number of fans before. They have started with their finest season since the 50s and couldn’t muster 1,000 fans 

1 hour ago, Everygamefox said:

I’d rather have a big town like Leeds or one of the Sheffield clubs then.

empty seats in the top league is not acceptable 

That’s an awful attitude

Burnley deserve their place in the Premier League as they have earned it by performances on the pitch

if we are just looking at crowd sizes then we might aswell just give up

• Like 3