Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Work from home now, so time is right to get myself a Doggo.

Wife is not keen though and if she agrees she wants me to get a non-malting type, like a poodle cross.

I'm keen on a lab or a springer or a cocker. 

Get down the rescue centre and see what grabs you ...  you won’t come out empty handed and will give a forgotten dog a new life ..  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Get down the rescue centre and see what grabs you ...  you won’t come out empty handed and will give a forgotten dog a new life ..  

Wife's friend has warned her against this - since we have young kids and dog may have been mistreated in past.... is this good advice? Essentially they said you want a puppy ...

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Wife's friend has warned her against this - since we have young kids and dog may have been mistreated in past.... is this good advice? Essentially they said you want a puppy ...

I can’t really say anything against that as anything can happen with a dog ...  all I can say is rescue dogs I’ve had have been absolutely no problem with children and actually protective over them ...  there can be a problem if you already have a dog though ...  I had one that was previously called ‘Tyson’ and before we found him a new home he made a bit of a mess of our other dog.  You could always just go and have a look ...   you can often get an immediate feel for a dog and have to trust your instincts ...   you can see the love in their eyes !    If there is doubt and you are not confident though ..   get your pup !    :thumbup:

• Like 1

Rescue dogs are fantastic I had two that my parents now have and they have both been amazing. One who we got when he was 9 months old (lab collie cross) was just found walking round leicester. Absolutely mental thinking about it but as soon as we brought him home he was already toilet trained and very clever. Unfortunately he got attacked when he was about 5 by gypo **** lurchers who were off the lead and it took him another 5 years to gain the confidence to go on walks again. He is now very old and sick but he has been the best dog ever and all for a donation to the RSPCA. 

Here they are in the pic. I now have a miniature dachshund called Nigel Pearson and he is class but still much love for rescue dogs and you are literally saving their lives @The People's Hero

32D2485C-2EB2-40CF-B99C-EEE2DB6F05C6.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

No offence to her but ignore the wife’s friend 

58 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Wife is not keen though and if she agrees she wants me to get a non-malting type, like a poodle cross.

I’d go for a Schnauzer over a poodle, great dogs.

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Sounds like you want a Husky.

• Haha 1

Has anyone ever offered a bit of ham to a dog and it not absolutely annihilate it? My dog was very unwell a few weeks ago and I did the ham test and it still wolfed it down. They can also hear and smell the opening of a ham or cheese packet through shut doors and up to several hundred yards away. They are unbelievable.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Has anyone ever offered a bit of ham to a dog and it not absolutely annihilate it? My dog was very unwell a few weeks ago and I did the ham test and it still wolfed it down. They can also hear and smell the opening of a ham or cheese packet through shut doors and up to several hundred yards away. They are unbelievable.

My dogs recognise the sound of a snapped treat from a mile off.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

They are incredible, embarrassingly my dog knows when the pizza delivery geezer has pulled up down the road and is on his way to the door with the good stuff. She is yet to get any pizza but she still knows and looks forward to it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Have a look at an Airedale Terrier, absolutely beauties and don't malt (I don't think)

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

They are incredible, embarrassingly my dog knows when the pizza delivery geezer has pulled up down the road and is on his way to the door with the good stuff. She is yet to get any pizza but she still knows and looks forward to it.

Haha brillaint. 

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2019 at 13:58, Costock_Fox said:

We had a dog which appeared to be almost completely deaf as she got older, and yet she could hear the sound of the fridge being opened from about 7 miles away!!!

lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm sure I've mentioned before in this thread but I have quite a rare breed dog. A Basenji - known as the Barkless Dog as it's the only breed of dog in the world that can't actually bark.

According to the Kennel club, there are now only 4 registered Basenji breeders in the UK, bit thanks to the power of the internet, I've managed to get in touch with a Basenji owners club and this Sunday I'll be taking Nala to our first Midlands Basenji meet up in Coventry.

Almost all of the Basenjis known to currently live in the Midlands will be in attendance (a grand total of about 7-8). Im really excited, and very proud to have such a special dog (I know, everyone thinks their own dog is special) so I apologize in advance to you all for flooding this thread with pictures and videos of the meeting when I get home on Sunday evening!

Until then, here's a couple of pictures of Nala:

IMG-20190521-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190521-WA0008.jpg

She’s going to get some ?.

Huskys can bark but rarely ever do.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm sure I've mentioned before in this thread but I have quite a rare breed dog. A Basenji - known as the Barkless Dog as it's the only breed of dog in the world that can't actually bark.

According to the Kennel club, there are now only 4 registered Basenji breeders in the UK, bit thanks to the power of the internet, I've managed to get in touch with a Basenji owners club and this Sunday I'll be taking Nala to our first Midlands Basenji meet up in Coventry.

Almost all of the Basenjis known to currently live in the Midlands will be in attendance (a grand total of about 7-8). Im really excited, and very proud to have such a special dog (I know, everyone thinks their own dog is special) so I apologize in advance to you all for flooding this thread with pictures and videos of the meeting when I get home on Sunday evening!

Until then, here's a couple of pictures of Nala:

IMG-20190521-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190521-WA0008.jpg

Do burglars know this information? 

Could be useful....lol

• 2 weeks later...