Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

4 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

Fair play lovely mate, yea mines his dads english his mums old tyme.this is our first dog, im set for this breed for life now i rekon?

Unbelievable breed. I had my previous Bulldog Reggie for 13 years. 

reggie.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This little miss is feeling very very sorry for herself...   just got her back after her cruciate op ....   cruciate removed and plate screwed in ...  arthritis round her knee cap also removed..   At the moment she is still woozy on a combination of anaesthetic and tramadol ...   :(

EDBB71DF-21F9-4EC0-9A6B-369C706EB1D6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

This little miss is feeling very very sorry for herself...   just got her back after her cruciate op ....   cruciate removed and plate screwed in ...  arthritis round her knee cap also removed..   At the moment she is still woozy on a combination of anaesthetic and tramadol ...   :(

EDBB71DF-21F9-4EC0-9A6B-369C706EB1D6.jpeg

Hope her rehab goes well CF and she is back on her paws soon enough.  She's lucky she has someone willing to shell out for the treatment.

18 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Had to have our dog put down today, he was 16 so had a good life. This is not Nigel in my avi but Taz who we rescued. Absolutely amazing dog RIP.

2E8E6139-ECAD-421C-9A70-1BABE2B70CBF.jpeg

Bless him (or her).  I;m sorry to hear that.  That's a good, long life.  They hang around long enough that it seems like they've always been there and then they break your heart.

Edited by murphy

20 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Had to have our dog put down today, he was 16 so had a good life. This is not Nigel in my avi but Taz who we rescued. Absolutely amazing dog RIP.

Bless him, 16 is a great innings but still horrible never the less.

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

So sorry to hear this, 6 years on from having my lab put to sleep, 3 months into having a new puppy, but still miss my lab, every single day ?

9 hours ago, murphy said:

Hope her rehab goes well CF and she is back on her paws soon enough.  She's lucky she has someone willing to shell out for the treatment.

It’s going to be a long one murph ...   as she’s an outdoor dog she didn’t like being penned in one bit and managed to get her wound protector off at one point ...   so I’ve tied it to her collar.   Got  up at 1 3 and 5 last night to check all’s well and the protector was still on ...   every time I came down I imagined seeing it off, an open wound and screws on the floor ...   but all was well.  Then up at 6 for a toilet break, (have to carry her over the steps which is a bit hairy), a drink of water, a bit of scrambled egg and the fun part trying to get all her meds down here.  Then I’m off for a walk with her big brother and feed him.   30 days of this then small walks for a few minutes on the lead for another 60 days ...    i’ll be knackered !! ...   but don’t begrudge one single second ...    we love her to bits.   :)

Looking into  to hydrotherapy or something similar to get the movement back in the joint ...   any thoughts on that or other ideas you lot ? 

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

It’s going to be a long one murph ...   as she’s an outdoor dog she didn’t like being penned in one bit and managed to get her wound protector off at one point ...   so I’ve tied it to her collar.   Got  up at 1 3 and 5 last night to check all’s well and the protector was still on ...   every time I came down I imagined seeing it off, an open wound and screws on the floor ...   but all was well.  Then up at 6 for a toilet break, (have to carry her over the steps which is a bit hairy), a drink of water, a bit of scrambled egg and the fun part trying to get all her meds down here.  Then I’m off for a walk with her big brother and feed him.   30 days of this then small walks for a few minutes on the lead for another 60 days ...    i’ll be knackered !! ...   but don’t begrudge one single second ...    we love her to bits.   :)

Looking into  to hydrotherapy or something similar to get the movement back in the joint ...   any thoughts on that or other ideas you lot ? 

I've been through similar when mine had his hips replaced.  All of a sudden you feel like he's made of glass, we ended up sleeping downstairs with him.and it's pretty scary but you'll probably be amazed at their powers of recovery.  They don't tend to feel sorry for themselves like we do.

As for the Elizabethan collar thing, we made our own out of one of those camping mats, using the plastic one as a template.  The thing about those plastic ones is that they're so rigid, they keep banging into things.  Our camping mat one was kind of floppy so it was much easier for him to get around but it was still enough to protect the wound.

Are you struggling with the meds?  I used to stuff them into lumps of cheese and he soon wolfed them down.

Currently doing physio and hydro at Moulton Animal Centre for something else.   I don't know whereabouts you are, but that's pretty good but it's near Pitsford Reservoir, so a bit of a trek.

I think you'll both be fine, but knackered as you say!  Good luck with it!  One more thing, do you have hard floors or carpet?

edit - Oh yeah I can it's carpet from the pictures.  If you have any hard floors that are skiddy in the kitchen or whatever, keep her away from that.  You prob know this anyway.  

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Unabomber said:

sorry to hear that mate. But you have him 16 years of love and companionship and that is all you can do. He had a good life. 

5 hours ago, murphy said:

I've been through similar when mine had his hips replaced.  All of a sudden you feel like he's made of glass, we ended up sleeping downstairs with him.and it's pretty scary but you'll probably be amazed at their powers of recovery.  They don't tend to feel sorry for themselves like we do.

As for the Elizabethan collar thing, we made our own out of one of those camping mats, using the plastic one as a template.  The thing about those plastic ones is that they're so rigid, they keep banging into things.  Our camping mat one was kind of floppy so it was much easier for him to get around but it was still enough to protect the wound.

Are you struggling with the meds?  I used to stuff them into lumps of cheese and he soon wolfed them down.

Currently doing physio and hydro at Moulton Animal Centre for something else.   I don't know whereabouts you are, but that's pretty good but it's near Pitsford Reservoir, so a bit of a trek.

I think you'll both be fine, but knackered as you say!  Good luck with it!  One more thing, do you have hard floors or carpet?

edit - Oh yeah I can it's carpet from the pictures.  If you have any hard floors that are skiddy in the kitchen or whatever, keep her away from that.  You prob know this anyway.  

Great help ! ..  Thanks Murph !   The meds were a problem but as I write she seems to have her appetite back and its become easy.  The carpeting is just oddments but I've now got this non slip stuff that builders use and will lay a bit of that.  We have to go back to the vets early next week so I will ask about the hydro ....   your place sounds good.  Have made a little ramp so that I don't have to keep picking her up and thats great as having to keep doing it was stressing us both.

Thanks again mate ..    posts like this help you cope  ...   I'll keep you posted.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Great help ! ..  Thanks Murph !   The meds were a problem but as I write she seems to have her appetite back and its become easy.  The carpeting is just oddments but I've now got this non slip stuff that builders use and will lay a bit of that.  We have to go back to the vets early next week so I will ask about the hydro ....   your place sounds good.  Have made a little ramp so that I don't have to keep picking her up and thats great as having to keep doing it was stressing us both.

Thanks again mate ..    posts like this help you cope  ...   I'll keep you posted.   :thumbup:

I'm sure there is/was a dog hydrotherapy place at Twyford (Melton)

EDIT http://murrayhillkennels.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

The builders stuff sounds good.  What is it?  Sounds like something we could use. You can also lay strips of masking tape as a kind of temporary solution to slippy floors, but in these early days slipping or any unnatural movements is the number one enemy.  You can buy these things which are toe grips.  Our physio recommended them but they are a fcking rip off.  £30 plus VAT for a few bits of plastic:

Dr-Buzbys-Toe-Grips.thumb.jpg.6478b82b56691b850a397758e5f9306e.jpg

When I was going through it with Codie, I found this place a great help:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/forums/dog-health-and-nutrition.3/

There will be lots of others on there going through it or have already been through it.  Great for tips and help.

Anyway, I know you love your dogs CF.  Not just from these posts but also from previous ones.  She's in great hands!

14 hours ago, murphy said:

The builders stuff sounds good.  What is it?  Sounds like something we could use. You can also lay strips of masking tape as a kind of temporary solution to slippy floors, but in these early days slipping or any unnatural movements is the number one enemy.  You can buy these things which are toe grips.  Our physio recommended them but they are a fcking rip off.  £30 plus VAT for a few bits of plastic:

There will be lots of others on there going through it or have already been through it.  Great for tips and help.

Anyway, I know you love your dogs CF.  Not just from these posts but also from previous ones.  She's in great hands!

I’m sensing some Pat Butcher earrings here as well.

• Haha 2

On 05/07/2019 at 18:03, murphy said:

Hi Murph ...    we didn't use the builders board stuff in the end as we've moved her to a cooler part of the house which has a mat in it ...  but I've took a pic of it for you in case you may want to use it ...  get the roll of tape that goes with it to fix it down.

Got into a bit of a routine now and she has calmed down ...   and so have we !!    Her cone comes off next week and I know she'll be very pleased about that !    Was worried that she hadn't done a you-know-what for several days and I was going to mention it to the vet on her check up visit ...   but as we walked in she down loaded on his drive !! ..  :D    

We are definitely going to get her some hydro therapy and found a place in Aylestone which is fairly close ....    the vet had heard of it and so had one of my mates ....    I think as long as we stick to the basics and don't get talked into other things we should be ok.  

Still a good way to go yet but we seem to be on the right track ...    just the big boy getting a bit mardy atm as he is getting slightly less attention ! ...   definitely seems better to keep them well apart to avoid the excitable jumping about.

IMG_2411.jpg