Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

Thanks CF, will have a look at that builders board stuff.  At the moment we have a problem with degenerative myleopathy in the big lad.  He's 12.5 yo and this will likely be the end of him which is gonna be ... well, I don't wanna think about it.  Anyway, it is a problem that causes hind limb weakness and eventual paralysis.  We take him for physio and we've decked the house in interlocking yoga mats to stop him slipping around.  Looks a right state!

Good to see you're doing well with yours.  You do get into a routine and I bet you'll start to notice her getting stronger.  I forgot to mention the constipation.  That'll be the anaesthetic.  We had the same thing.  Nothing for a few days.  I think we were more relieved than he was when he passed a big steaming pile.

Hydro will be good, but I would have thought that would be a little way off yet?  The vet will advise and once those stitches are out you'll feel like you're really getting somewhere.

How's she doing comfort wise?

Optimized-P7115925.thumb.JPG.91fe0c40794e00bee99f7d4d3a7edd0e.JPG

Edited by murphy

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Thanks CF, will have a look at that builders board stuff.  At the moment we have a problem with degenerative myleopathy in the big lad.  He's 12.5 yo and this will likely be the end of him which is gonna be ... well, I don't wanna think about it.  Anyway, it is a problem that causes hind limb weakness and eventual paralysis.  We take him for physio and we've decked the house in interlocking yoga mats to stop him slipping around.  Looks a right state!

Good to see you're doing well with yours.  You do get into a routine and I bet you'll start to notice her getting stronger.  I forgot to mention the constipation.  That'll be the anaesthetic.  We had the same thing.  Nothing for a few days.  I think we were more relieved than he was when he passed a big steaming pile.

Hydro will be good, but I would have thought that would be a little way off yet?  The vet will advise and once those stitches are out you'll feel like you're really getting somewhere.

How's she doing comfort wise?

Optimized-P7115925.thumb.JPG.91fe0c40794e00bee99f7d4d3a7edd0e.JPG

Good looking hound ...   he looks relaxed ...   which s good !   Yes if it isn’t one thing it’s another...   especially in bigger dogs.  The vet told us she will probably have the same problem in the other leg ..   and already has arthritis in her spine ..  she’s only 4 ..  :(

The vet told us hydro was ok as soon as the stitches are out but we will wait for one more week.  Checking out a few places to compare but  unless we get a bad feeling about it will probably use the place in Aylestone.  

Shes seems very comfortable now thanks but also very bored ..   we are keeping her on max pain relief for at least one more week until the stitches are out ...   not only does it numb the pain but also subdues her. ...    which we think is a good idea.   I’ve bought one of those  mini cams with sound and night vision on for £30 ...   great for keeping an eye on her without disturbing her  ..   I’ve attached a pic ..

Hope the physio helps with yours ...   

0EBB5907-CCF1-4E21-A8FC-D81C9A9AE273.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, murphy said:

How's she getting on @Countryfox?

Still in lockdown Murph ...   and still wondering what she did wrong !!   Going out for short walks now 3 times a day and starts hydrotherapy next week.   Has her final X ray at the end of this month and then hopefully, if all well, can reintroduce her to her big brother ...   having to look after them separately is a bit wearing but has to be done.  

IMG_2641.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Still in lockdown Murph ...   and still wondering what she did wrong !!   Going out for short walks now 3 times a day and starts hydrotherapy next week.   Has her final X ray at the end of this month and then hopefully, if all well, can reintroduce her to her big brother ...   having to look after them separately is a bit wearing but has to be done.  

IMG_2641.jpg

Bless her.  Don't worry. all of this will be forgotten when she is back to full speed, she just won't have that pain anymore.

If she's still in lockdown, someone told me that Aldi have got cheap dog puzzles in at the moment.  You know that central aisle bit where they sell wellies and socket sets next to barbecues or whatever.  I haven't seen them myself but it might be an idea for a bit of mental stimulation.

When I think back to when Codie had his new hips, if I think which of us suffered the most during his rehab it was definitely me x 1000!  Horrible isn't it?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

My Romanian Rescue. She’s a Romanian Shepherd cross and is as mad as a box of frogs. Came to us at 6 months old and is now 3. Took a massive risk as we have 2 children who were 3 and 8 at the time but definitely the best thing we’ve done. We’ve had to learn to live with a few of her quirks however I wouldn’t change her for the world. 

68246C6E-23BE-4824-8C63-0E463F32F2CE.jpeg

It’s funny because she doesn’t look mental at all.

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s funny because she doesn’t look mental at all.

I’m having to consider getting her one of these because I honestly don’t know what goes through her mind sometimes. In her defence, she did spend the first 6 months of her life tied up at a travellers camp. It never occurred to us when we picked her up that she’d never been in a house let alone upstairs and we had to literally pick her up and carry her into the house for the first 2 weeks. 

74F07968-D112-41CD-A601-F268CA5B2115.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

She's really on the mend now and has to have 3 x 35 minute walks on her own, on the lead, every day, to build the muscle up ...    2 more weeks and we should be nearly there ...  relief !!

You can see she doesn't quite bend the leg in properly yet ...    

IMG_2680.jpg

Beautiful girl

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Nalis said:

What breed is the middle dog?

It hasn’t decided yet ...   when ‘they’ are a bit older ‘they’ will decide  ‘themselves’ on what sex and breed ‘they’ are ...    :)

In the meantime he/she/they/it will just be known as dog ....    

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

It hasn’t decided yet ...   when ‘they’ are a bit older ‘they’ will decide  ‘themselves’ on what sex and breed ‘they’ are ...    :)

In the meantime he/she/they/it will just be known as dog ....    

That is racist to cats.

Edited by Costock_Fox