Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Did you go ahead with this plan?  How is it going?  If so then find yourself a good local GSD trainer.

We didn't, sadly. 

The mrs and i thought long and hard and we couldn't, at that time, dedicate the time to doing it right. We're going to reasses when I've finished my vocational masters and she's better placed at work. 

I'm gutted but it was the right thing. 

We have a bit of a problem with our spaniels! 

Bit of background - we got a springer about 7 years ago, and 4 years ago she had a litter of pups of which we kept one. All has been fine until the last few months when for some reason we decided to get another pup. As the pup has grown up there seems to be a bit of power struggle going on and the middle dog (who is very calm and docile most of the time) will suddenly attack the older one without warning or any sort of pattern we can see. It's happened several times now and neither dog will back down so I have to get in between them and split them up. I'm really worried because I'm not always there and I don't like to think of the kids being around when it happens.

We got her spayed a few weeks ago but it doesn't see to have calmed down and they had another massive scrap this week. I think we need to look at rehoming her. She is a lovely dog but I think she needs to be in a household where she is the only dog. Spoke to Dogs Trust but they aren't taking dogs in at the moment (except in emergency situations) due to the corona pandemic.

Anyone have any advice? It's a nightmare at the moment, trying to keep them separate! Or should I just let them fight until one backs down?

15 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Bit of background - we got a springer about 7 years ago, and 4 years ago she had a litter of pups of which we kept one. All has been fine until the last few months when for some reason we decided to get another pup. As the pup has grown up there seems to be a bit of power struggle going on and the middle dog (who is very calm and docile most of the time) will suddenly attack the older one without warning or any sort of pattern we can see. It's happened several times now and neither dog will back down so I have to get in between them and split them up. I'm really worried because I'm not always there and I don't like to think of the kids being around when it happens.

We got her spayed a few weeks ago but it doesn't see to have calmed down and they had another massive scrap this week. I think we need to look at rehoming her. She is a lovely dog but I think she needs to be in a household where she is the only dog. Spoke to Dogs Trust but they aren't taking dogs in at the moment (except in emergency situations) due to the corona pandemic.

Anyone have any advice? It's a nightmare at the moment, trying to keep them separate! Or should I just let them fight until one backs down?

I do feel for you as its horrible in a multi dog household where there is a power struggle for Alpha rights. I have experienced it before and sometimes regardless of what you do it just doesn't work :( 

However I would give it  upto 12 weeks after the spaying for the hormones to settle, to see if it has made a difference, a couple of weeks might be a little too soon to tell. *Fingers crossed for you though* as having to re-home a dog, a pet is one of the hardest things to do. 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I do feel for you as its horrible in a multi dog household where there is a power struggle for Alpha rights. I have experienced it before and sometimes regardless of what you do it just doesn't work :( 

However I would give it  upto 12 weeks after the spaying for the hormones to settle, to see if it has made a difference, a couple of weeks might be a little too soon to tell. *Fingers crossed for you though* as having to re-home a dog, a pet is one of the hardest things to do. 

yeah it's a bit of a nightmare at the moment. For the time being the in laws are going to look after her for a week or two just to see what happens!

6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah it's a bit of a nightmare at the moment. For the time being the in laws are going to look after her for a week or two just to see what happens!

If they're dog lovers they will probably become besotted with her and offer to keep her? Could be a nice solution all round as you'll still see her.

17 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Let them fight, are you offering odds?

No seriously I really don’t know what the answer is mate, we’ve always had dogs but they’ve always seemed to know their place in the order, so it’s nothing I’ve ever encountered.

20 hours ago, Strokes said:

Let them fight, are you offering odds?

No seriously I really don’t know what the answer is mate, we’ve always had dogs but they’ve always seemed to know their place in the order, so it’s nothing I’ve ever encountered.

yeah it's pretty unusual I think, especially for spaniels! They are mother and daughter too! But for the time being we have found a friend to foster her for a few weeks, so fingers crossed!

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice, my partner is pregnant with our first child (due October) and we have a 9 month old cocker spaniel. We want to ensure they integrate well after the birth and on return to the house.

Can anyone advise of there experiences when attempting to do this? i don't want him to be scared or start to bite out of nerves etc... 

thanks 

8 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice, my partner is pregnant with our first child (due October) and we have a 9 month old cocker spaniel. We want to ensure they integrate well after the birth and on return to the house.

Can anyone advise of there experiences when attempting to do this? i don't want him to be scared or start to bite out of nerves etc... 

thanks 

Spaniels are great family pets mate, just make sure he still gets plenty of attention and is allowed to sniff, get close to the baby and he will naturally assume the role of the babies protector.

Edited by Strokes

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

IMG-20200502-WA0001.thumb.jpg.7cb8095c088c2b264912c614bf4936b0.jpg6 months old now. Typical bulldog found the only bit of sun in our conservatory even if it means him sitting up there.

Love bulldogs. My gran used to have one when I was a kid. Thing slobbered all over the place when we had dinner. Good fun though. :D

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Love bulldogs. My gran used to have one when I was a kid. Thing slobbered all over the place when we had dinner. Good fun though. :D

Always had bulldogs in my life from my nan to my mum now me. Could never have another breed. Only problem is having to turn the tv up loud because of their snoring.

• Haha 1

Our Cocker passed away a month ago, wasn’t even 5 years old sadly.

The house isn’t quite the same as he was an absolute nutcase so we’ve decided to buy a cocker poo, to be picked up in 4 weeks time. The prices are insane at the moment and it took us a while to even find one as litters were selling just hours after the adverts had been posted. Obviously can’t really judge as we’re buying one in lockdown, but I hope that there aren’t lots of dogs being bought out of boredom during lockdown.

Anyway, here she is!

EB41BD7C-5E12-4B6A-88A3-27B2919962E8.jpeg

Edited by Wet Trump
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

The house isn’t quite the same as he was an absolute nutcase so we’ve decided to buy a cocker poo, to be picked up in 4 weeks time. The prices are insane at the moment and it took us a while to even find one as litters were selling just hours after the adverts had been posted. Obviously can’t really judge as we’re buying one in lockdown, but I hope that there aren’t lots of dogs being bought out of boredom during lockdown.

Anyway, here she is!

What a beaut. Sorry to hear about your old dog :(

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

Anyway, here she is!

Yes we found it really hard to get one - been looking for months without biting bullet, but since lockdown they go within hours and prices are 50% up in a lot of cases. We got shinji as we replied within minutes of an ad going on - we were told they had 140 messages/calls!

Your pup looks lovely btw, I like darker colours but other half sold on a golden

Edited by hebangsthedrums

9 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What’s going on I just checked out my dog breed and the puppies are now going for £2500 minimum! Is this really down to more people buying puppies during the lockdown? 

Yep. When we started looking at cocker spaniels casually 12 months or so ago, the KC registered ones were averaging around £1000 - add £500 at least to that now., normally more. I saw a litter at £3400 each a week or so before we found ours!! What breed is yours

Pretty sad right now, my 'little' baby who got diagnosed with a bone eating disorder 6 months ago is now coming to the end.. only 6 years old Great Dane (which is sorta average for the breed but still young). Beautiful and happy go lucky Dog, went to shows and made Grand Champion 2 times over but wasnt interested in that life and ofc was retired before he was even 3. 

I am going to miss him more than anything, and devo'd right now.. RIP Luther... :( 

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.0f337095f54eadd9ae41e759144d122d.JPG

• Sad 10