Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

The "Random Thoughts" Thread

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Matter is empty space?

I thought it was something to do with mass (and possibly volume), but you’re the scientist! ?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Thing is, matter is largely empty space.

Buce has it right. All atomic matter (that is, everything made up of atoms and not entirely of subatomic particles like neutrons) is 99% empty space as the nucleus of an atom is only about 1/100 of the size of the atom itself, with the rest being empty space and (a tiny bit) the electron(s).

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Buce has it right. All atomic matter (that is, everything made up of atoms and not entirely of subatomic particles like neutrons) is 99% empty space as the nucleus of an atom is only about 1/100 of the size of the atom itself, with the rest being empty space and (a tiny bit) the electron(s).

So matter is not the stuff that things are made up of?

Might have to have words with my physics teacher...

Edit: Or Chemistry teacher...

Edited by Milo

1 hour ago, Milo said:

So matter is not the stuff that things are made up of?

Might have to have words with my physics teacher...

Edit: Or Chemistry teacher...

Matter is short hand for all particles but the space in-between particles in huge in comparison. So, the distance between the nucleus and an electron in a hydrogen atom is the Bohr radius or 5.291x10^-11m, which is tiny, but the diameter of a proton is about 8.7x10^-16m and an electron less than x10^-18m. So, the empty space in an atom is over 60000x the size of the particles in it. So, 99% is an underestimate

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

If a venemous snake bite another one of its species', would the one bitten die or are they immune to their venoms?

If it’s the same species, the snake will not be affected but if it’s another type of venomous snake then it will feel the impact of the venom, not sure if they’re susceptible to the full force of the venom though.

7 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Do we all see the same colour?

my green could be someone’s red.

we just don’t know it is different.

In the pisser at work today I saw a butterfly on the wall that hasn’t moved for 3 days and I’m thinking what a boring life,what are you thinking about for 3 days in a shitty toilet not moving. 

Has it really been there the entire time though?  Earlier this month I had one of those brown fuzzy moths (common swift probably) dangling off my bedroom door's lintel on a regular schedule over a period of a few days and now this past week I've had what at the start of writing I thought was a black butterfly but after minimal research now assume to be a Chimney Sweeper Moth do the same.  Goodness knows what it is about my door that attracts these beasties but they seem to like chilling there.  @Buce I am aware that moths are not butterflies before you link me to a load of sites proving the differences between the two :D 

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Has it really been there the entire time though?  Earlier this month I had one of those brown fuzzy moths (common swift probably) dangling off my bedroom door's lintel on a regular schedule over a period of a few days and now this past week I've had what at the start of writing I thought was a black butterfly but after minimal research now assume to be a Chimney Sweeper Moth do the same.  Goodness knows what it is about my door that attracts these beasties but they seem to like chilling there.  @Buce I am aware that moths are not butterflies before you link me to a load of sites proving the differences between the two :D 

What, even Scandinavian moths and Finnish butterflies...? :D

Oh, well, I will instead be satisfied by educating you in the evolution of the Peppered Moth - an example of evolution in (almost) real-time, right in front of our noses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

On 18/07/2018 at 22:10, leicsmac said:

This is why the brilliant General Albert Stubblebine (better known for leading to the instigation of the goat staring US Army project) believed he could train himself to walk through walls. 

If he's 99% empty space and the wall is 99% empty space then surely if he concentrates hard enough he can fit his 1% mass through those 99% gaps. 

This, kids, is why laymen shouldn't do science. 

Jon Ronson's original book is brilliant. I've suggested before that @The Doctor would like his work but he'd probably really enjoy Men Who Stare At Goats. It's both terrifying and hilarious in equal measure, pretty fascinating too. 

Edited by Finnegan

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is why the brilliant General Albert Stubblebine (better known for leading to the instigation of the goat staring US Army project) believed he could train himself to walk through walls. 

If he's 99% empty space and the wall is 99% empty space then surely if he concentrates hard enough he can fit his 1% mass through those 99% gaps. 

This, kids, is why laymen shouldn't do science. 

Jon Ronson's original book is brilliant. I've suggested before that @The Doctor would like his work but he'd probably really enjoy Men Who Stare At Goats. It's both terrifying and hilarious in equal measure, pretty fascinating too. 

That's been on my reading list for a while now too - heard good things about it.

Also, by the rules of quantum mechanics it is possible for all of Albert Stubblebine's particles to simultaneously quantum tunnel through a solid barrier such as a wall and to emerge on the other side. It's just so unlikely that if he were to try it once a second for perpetuity it wouldn't happen between now and the heat death of the Universe.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Probably less so now that Albert Stubblebine has departed this mortal plane though. 

Oh, most certainly, unless quantum zombies are a thing.

But yes, it is a little disconcerting to know that it isn't solid particle "stuff" itself that makes us solid, that makes walls and everything else solid too, but rather the electromagnetic (and sometimes the strong, weak and gravitational) forces between them.

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Does anyone else pee in the shower? 

I tell my wife off when she does it, because, naturally, it's nasty. But yes, I also pee in the shower.

It's kind of like marking my territory it's gross when she does it but absolutely fine for me to do it ?

Edited by TiffToff88
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Lol

Why dirty? I would have thought it was cleaner since you shower off the pee? 

It stinks the shower out Suze and leaves a stain. She doesn’t drink enough water so her piss is yellow. Muggins here then has to clean it up. Disgusting, just sit on the bog and have a piss there beforehand!

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It stinks the shower out Suze and leaves a stain. She doesn’t drink enough water so her piss is yellow. Muggins here then has to clean it up. Disgusting, just sit on the bog and have a piss there beforehand!

Oh hell thats not so nice then. Mine doesnt smell since, i drink lots and have good coloured pee :D 

• Haha 1