Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Should the darts and other sports ban 'walk on girls'?

Earlier this week The Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) announced it would no longer use walk-on girls in its tournaments. Some fans and players say the ban takes away a key part of the experience. The Women's Sport Trust tweeted: "We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor racing, boxing and cycling... your move." Formula 1's new owners said in December that they are looking into whether the sport should continue to use ''grid girls''.

So is this the right decision and was darts stuck in the past, or does it take away the rights of models to earn a living? 

The question is whether a person's right to use their own body to "earn" money is greater than the right of women not to have their bodies "exploited".

Women shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways, these mixed signals only lead to problems.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Has anyone actually asked these girls if they want to lose their jobs?

Some are clearly unhappy

'A sad day for darts': Leicester walk-on girl furious over PDC decision to axe role

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/a-sad-day-darts-leicester-1127351

20 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Earlier this week The Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) announced it would no longer use walk-on girls in its tournaments. Some fans and players say the ban takes away a key part of the experience. The Women's Sport Trust tweeted: "We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor racing, boxing and cycling... your move." Formula 1's new owners said in December that they are looking into whether the sport should continue to use ''grid girls''.

So is this the right decision and was darts stuck in the past, or does it take away the rights of models to earn a living? 

Yeh these are people that have no personal interest in anyone doing those sorts of jobs at all. They are merely using moves like this as an attempt to further their skewed views of what feminism is supposed to be.

A perfect example of human beings suffering and no one benefitting from a misguided political correctness publicity stunt. Which, ironically, increases my dislike for human beings.

Pure window dressing. I don't think it's any coincidence this has occurred days after the President's club scandal.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled that they've lost their jobs; I expect it's reasonably well paid.

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I don't understand it. If these girls are prepared to make a living doing what they do, why does anyone else have to be offended over it. 

Because in this day and age someone somewhere must be offended by something.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

Does anyone ever get asked?! 

"Hi, Matt, take a seat. Listen, we've been concerned about your performance in recent months. Basically we want to ask, would you mind awfully if we sack you? Honestly, we completely understand if you don't want it. Just let us know by next Thursday. If possible." 

Edited by bovril

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Pure window dressing. I don't think it's any coincidence this has occurred days after the President's club scandal.

I'm sure they'll be thrilled that they've lost their jobs; I expect it's reasonably well paid.

Yep. It's the sledgehammer to crack a nut logic again.

Some dirty old perverts use wealth and influence to behave badly in front of girls so the next step is consenting women being forced out of jobs they enjoy just because a few extremists don't like it.

Horrible.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Does anyone ever get asked?! 

"Hi, Matt, take a seat. Listen, we've been concerned about your performance in recent months. Basically we want to ask, would you mind awfully if we sack you? Honestly, we completely understand if you don't want it. Just let us know by next Thursday. If possible." 

Don't get this at all.

No one has complained about the performance of the girls.

Does it add anything to the sporting ability on display? No it is purely window dressing for the purpose of...

...well what exactly, does anyone actually get anything out of it? They are good looking girls but I don't get a raging hard on and immediately start rubbing one out. I barely notice them when I'm at the darts. They are completely irrelevant to the many and for the few that can't enjoy darts if their overweight sporting hero isn't led out by a nice looking girl covered in corporate logos there are probably more that find it degrading and a further indication that it is a sport for lads, not an inclusive sport.

Smart move by the PDC, broadens appeal, gets it name in the papers, it is missing a trick though, they should be replaced by mascots, pay your money to get your kid to lead out a borderline alcoholic with a nice action. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Don't get this at all.

Have any of the girls complained about their treatment?

Surely these girls have agents/agencies that will offer them the job of walking on at sports events and get paid for doing so? Therefore they have the choice to decide whether or not to accept or decline. If they accept then hopefully they take it on, knowing that they will be a looked at by blokes who are there primarily for the sporting spectacle. What they don't need is exploitation by ignorant, misogynistic, selfish, oafish, (sometimes wealthy) men. Having been to F1 and seen the grid girls, They stand and smile and look smart. 

What about Superbike events? The pics I've seen on here in a different thread suggest that they are open to exploitation and lechery, but aren't women intelligent human beings? Surely they can make a choice for themselves without the right-on, feminist PC, liberal lefty brigade demeaning them by denying them a choice in what they do to make a penny.

Are we to ban cheerleaders? They have their own competitions and clearly enjoy what they do.

If the girls are prepared to do that kind of work and they're safe and not being exploited, then why not?

28 minutes ago, MattP said:

20 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I don't understand it. If these girls are prepared to make a living doing what they do, why does anyone else have to be offended over it. 

Has anyone asked the kids making shoes for Niké or the prostitutes or the waitresses at gentlemens clubs or the actresses and models looking for jobs?

Western society has decided that certain things are not acceptable. 

Even some slaves wanted to remain slaves back in the day.

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Do they have walk on men when women play in the bdo? lol 

Dunno, but '8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown' have scantily dressed muscley, fit blokes bringing out the prize for the winner. I can't help looking at Rachel Riley's face when they appear.

The decision could be due to fears from feminist groups etc believing that they're being portrayed as 'a way of increasing viewing figures for quite a boring sports game' and making it look more sexualized (i.e. unacceptable for the younger audience).

Edited by Wymeswold fox

22 minutes ago, MattP said:

Don't get this at all.

It was a (poor) attempt at a humorous response to your question 'has anyone asked if they want to lose their job?'

Nobody gets asked.