Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Should the darts and other sports ban 'walk on girls'?

10 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

lol 

I’m neither bitter nor angry but do appreciate that my posts may sometimes come across that way.

Years ago I read a couple of self-help books. Can’t remember which ones but I’m sure they were considered classics. They didn’t do anything for me in fact just made me more negative for having spent time considering problems I didn’t really have.

If you or anyone else finds them helpful then crack on, they’re just not for me.

I think you could probably make good money writing one.

Maybe something like, "Trolling Tories for Dummies" :D

20 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Considering it's not an exploitative or harmful line of work nobody should be "banning" it, but it is tacky as all hell so I won't be shedding any tears for its removal from modern sport.

As long as they don't mess with womens beach volleyball I don't really care.

• Haha 1

It should ultimately the choice of the girl(s) involved whether they want the tradition to continue - what's wrong if you're inclined to making some money from standing around for a while? Who am I to say it could be "sexist"?

Why should I or society dictate how women ought to choose for themselves? Why deny their right of choice?

I like Rebecca Jackson's stance on this:

Why does a minority once more want to dictate how the majority are to conduct themselves in life?

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

It should ultimately the choice of the girl(s) involved whether they want the tradition to continue

Not really, it's a job if your employer decides that role no longer exists you don't get a choice in it. To be honest it is probably more to do with marketing/broadening appeal rather than appeasing the very small number of people actually kicking up a fuss about this.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Not really, it's a job if your employer decides that role no longer exists you don't get a choice in it. To be honest it is probably more to do with marketing/broadening appeal rather than appeasing the very small number of people actually kicking up a fuss about this.

I do agree. I was about to add to my previous post that this issue is actually a non-issue, pretty much much ado about nothing.

It's a discussion that distracts from the real problems in the world.

But even if the job in its actual form disappears women could still push for the re-inclusion of those girls if they wanted. They'd still have the choice to create their own business if they see it fit. What I'd hate to see is people slagging off women who are doing it on behalf of their own free will. Nobody's forcing these girls to do these jobs.

What I find both confusing and amusing is that a minority (of women) is trying to dictate how the general public - the majority - should think about women working in these jobs if they pursue them by sheer own will.

They are the ones defining what "sexism" is, not society.

I can see why the removal of these girls in some sports could be regarded as a wise move (because they add nothing to the experience), I just find the argumentation of certain women's rights groups that they ought to be removed because it could be seen as "sexist" rather irritating.

Edited by MC Prussian

12 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Article, that in part was inspired by this thread...

https://articulatelive.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/grid-girls-whats-a-guy-to-think/

Ultimate position - I still don't know what to think

I get the point that this is probably a cynical attempt to exploit the zeitgeist, but I see that as a positive that whilst it was previously the norm to exploit the sexualisation of pretty women to push your agenda now it is exploiting the feeling that women shouldn't be exploited to put yourselves in a more positive light.

There wasn't a huge amount of pressure on darts or F1 they just seemed to wake up to the fact that having pretty women draped in advertising is no longer the best way to position yourself and your brands. I see that as a good thing. Replacing them with kids maybe not so, but at least that is more innocent and wholesome than skimply clad wank fodder.  Kids have been used as mascots in football and other sports for years, wearing replica shirts sponsored by beer and betting.

11 hours ago, Captain... said:

I get the point that this is probably a cynical attempt to exploit the zeitgeist, but I see that as a positive that whilst it was previously the norm to exploit the sexualisation of pretty women to push your agenda now it is exploiting the feeling that women shouldn't be exploited to put yourselves in a more positive light.

There wasn't a huge amount of pressure on darts or F1 they just seemed to wake up to the fact that having pretty women draped in advertising is no longer the best way to position yourself and your brands. I see that as a good thing. Replacing them with kids maybe not so, but at least that is more innocent and wholesome than skimply clad wank fodder.  Kids have been used as mascots in football and other sports for years, wearing replica shirts sponsored by beer and betting.

Cheers Captain

I still don’t know what to think, but have come to the conclusion it’s not the massive leap forward some would have you believe; and thinking about it more today, there is a worry that what this represents is another area where freedom of expression and choice is being curtailed by lobbying on moral grounds - regards of the rights and wrongs of the action.

You could consider political correctness essentially blind, unwritten law that is changing at a remarkable pace - and that has its natural difficulties, because I don’t think you can bring everyone with you like that - and so you end up with an even greater pissed off society and general finger pointing at one another declaring “you can’t say that, you can’t do this?” 

21 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Another step closer to the western secular burqa as woman claims women showing their arms is demeaning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43049517

The overreaction is strong with this one. I have no idea how this is news if every stupid ill thought out teeet that gets immediately shot down was reported as news the 6 o'clock news would overrun into the following week.