Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

9 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Get Dyche will be the owners remit I am pretty sure - style and background similar to NP but manages the PR better with a wealth of Prem experience - may not have had money but am damn sure will organise us, motivate and be clear on a plan....

Watch this space plus he is based in the Midlands - has been approached before and would get double the wages. Probably as good an opportunity as he will get to go to the next level with backing - whether he wishes to move at this juncture will be interesting but I know for a fact that he has been approached before!

He was approached by Sunderland in 2015...was even introduced to the Sunderland players but then a few Mackem fans clubbed together to buy Dick Advocaat's missus a bunch of flowers (luckily for Burnley).:)

Nearly three years later, Dyche is still at Burnley (and will be next  season at least).

As for wages, are you sure he would "double wages"? That would cost Leicester a cool £140,000 a week on a five-year deal. A six-month stint at Leicester, impatiient fans get him the sack and he walks off into sunset with a £30 million-plus compensation pay-out before getting his next job. That does sound appealing.:)

Edited by lancyclaret

8 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Whether Sean Dyche has been approached before, I don't know.  But if he has, then either he turned the job down, or else he wasn't offered it.  If he turned it down, he will turn it down again; if he wasn't offered it, then he wouldn't accept a job where he was by no means first choice and where four managers have been sacked in three years, and where the club is willing to negotiate with a new man while still notionally employing the existing man.

At Burnley, Dyche is at a club which is hopefully in Europe next year, where he has a squad which will run through walls on request, where he has a Board of Directors who are happy to let him do anything he wants including setting the budget, and where he knows he won't be sacked if the club is in 15th place ten games into the season or even 30 games into the season.  Yes, Leicester has very rich owners, 50% higher gates, and five times the catchment area that Burnley does; but in spite of the "many pond notes" comments, I don't think he's obsessed with having just a little more money.  If the owners promise £200m a year investment, who knows?

The one temptation that Leicester have and Burnley don't is Vardy & Mahrez,  Stick those two in any club outside the top 6 and there will be significant improvement - no-one else outside the top 6 has players like that.  It makes management so much easier with a natural goalscorer up top, and clubs like ours can't normally get them or keep them.  But Mahrez can't be relied on to be at Leicester next year.

Fair play, great post. I think you've pretty much nailed it.

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

We have people moaning about how dull and boring it is watching us play under Puel, and then wanting us to bring in Dyche, who`s Burnley side have only scored 35 goals all season, 14 goals less than us!

I don’t particularly want Dyche. But, his style of play has been effective this season. Puel’s hasn’t.

Dyche wouldn’t be the right fit for us at all. Good manager and has worked wonders at Burnley with a fairly average squad but his style is dull. Our fans wouldn’t tolerate that style of football for long.

As the Burnley fans on here have said, I can’t see the job being that appealing to him. The expectations have been distorted with the title win and the owners are looking pretty ruthless to the outside world. Would he take such a gamble when he’s in a stable job even if he’s probably hit the ceiling with Burnley?

I’d like us to go for a manager with a more expansive style of football who can handle a decent budget

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

We have people moaning about how dull and boring it is watching us play under Puel, and then wanting us to bring in Dyche, who`s Burnley side have only scored 35 goals all season, 14 goals less than us!

Looking at it from another angle, they've only conceded 32 all season (4th best defensive record in the league). Not saying Dyche is the right man for LCFC but it's still an impressive record.

I'm of the belief that we always have a goal in us with Vardy on the pitch but our defensive record has cost us since Huth went out of the side. Need the new man to sure up the defence and let the forwards press and attack with freedom.

Maguire does catch the eye as a good footballing centre back but we haven't kept enough clean sheets since he's been in the defence. As a defender, he should pride himself on clean sheets first and foremost.  

5 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

He was approached by Sunderland in 2015...was even introduced to the Sunderland players but then a few Mackem fans clubbed together to buy Dick Advocaat's missus a bunch of flowers (luckily for Burnley).:)

Nearly three years later, Dyche is still at Burnley (and will be next  season at least).

As for wages, are you sure he would "double wages"? That would cost Leicester a cool £140,000 a week on a five-year deal. A six-month stint at Leicester, impatiient fans get him the sack and he walks off into sunset with a £30 million-plus compensation pay-out before getting his next job. That does sound appealing.:)

Lancy ...modern manager contracts do not work like that at Burnley or LCFC....no disrespect but our club has many attractions including infrastructure, squad quality, fan base, potential and ambition whilst SD as I understand it loves BFC but is ambitious and is Midlands based with him interested in the next step.

should he fail and be sacked anywhere he would not get a full term pay off at BFC or LCFC......he would also get a significant signing on fee, base increase and bonus’s here over his existing terms at BFC......

Only stating what I have heard which is that should Vichai decide to look elsewhere he is top of the list and has been sounded out !!

56 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

What could affect any manager change is if Everton sack Big Sam. I would suggest we shop in the same market but the job there is more attractive

Sam told sky sports he is staying.  That could be to give moshiri the hurry up in making a decision but if he sacked him, sam would look even more stupid for making the statement 

3 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Lancy ...modern manager contracts do not work like that at Burnley or LCFC....no disrespect but our club has many attractions including infrastructure, squad quality, fan base, potential and ambition whilst SD as I understand it loves BFC but is ambitious and is Midlands based with him interested in the next step.

should he fail and be sacked anywhere he would not get a full term pay off at BFC or LCFC......he would also get a significant signing on fee, base increase and bonus’s here over his existing terms at BFC......

Only stating what I have heard which is that should Vichai decide to look elsewhere he is top of the list and has been sounded out !!

I could see Dyche being interested in the Aston Villa job or even Forest if they had a decent owner (he is a NFFC fan), but Leicester?...Sorry, that's a no-no.:)

Just my opinion. If £70k a week for the next 5 years is not enough and Dyche wanted another pay rise at Burnley, he'd get it. Not as rich as the Foxes, but we are awash with money. And he gets plenty of "bonuses" at BFC - another one coming for possible Euro qualification this season.

Burnley may not be the poor relations of the PL for much longer - already the directors are fending off Chinese/USA investment interest on a fairly regular basis. Only last month, the chairman had to deny reports of an £180 million takeover bid by Chinese would-be investors. If they are as rich as the Wolves' Chinese owners, I'd welcome it with open arms.

Edited by lancyclaret

15 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

I could see Dyche being interested in the Aston Villa job or even Forest if they had a decent owner (he is a NFFC fan), but Leicester?...Sorry, that's a no-no.:)

Just my opinion. If £70k a week for the next 5 years is not enough and Dyche wanted another pay rise at Burnley, he'd get it. Not as rich as the Foxes, but we are awash with money. And he gets plenty of "bonuses" at BFC - another one coming for possible Euro qualification this season.

Burnley may not be the poor relations of the PL for much longer - already the directors are fending off Chinese/USA investment interest on a fairly regular basis. Only last month, the chairman had to deny reports of an £180 million takeover bid by Chinese would-be investors. If they are as rich as the Wolves' Chinese owners, I'd welcome it with open arms.

Qualifying for Europe brings you within Uefa ffp rules. At the moment you are well run so that shouldn’t be a problem. In the future, splashing cash from a sugar daddy for a club of your size could be an issue. Prem league rules only allow a year on year wage bill increase within percentage. Not sure how this works for promoted clubs - wolves have gone fairly big this season anyway but their ambitions in the PL could be stifled a bit by this rule (no doubt Mendes will find a way around it)

we were hamstrung jan 2016 re uefa ffp when we wanted to make signings - we had to make sure we didn’t overspend on wages and fees to avoid sanctions if we qualified for the CL.  

7 hours ago, chicagofox said:

I don’t particularly want Dyche. But, his style of play has been effective this season. Puel’s hasn’t.

Dyche has had six years to build and perfect his team. Puels had six months and only the shitty January window to alter his squad.

Perhaps a few of our fans should read that over and over again until it sinks in.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sam told sky sports he is staying.  That could be to give moshiri the hurry up in making a decision but if he sacked him, sam would look even more stupid for making the statement 

Sam is playing the media. Everton will sack him, the fans are in uproar. 

14 hours ago, HKFox said:

I would like to go for Marco Silva. No club at the moment, and he is a great coach. Did well in Spain + Greece, improved Hull and Watford. We have more to offer than Watford, such as finances, players, stadium, number of fans etc and I do not think he would want to leave for any other club unless in the champions league. 

I would not mind him at all.

but all managers have trends, and his is to do well but not to stick around.

We need a manager who is here for a few seasons

Edited by Everygamefox

55 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Dyche has had six years to build and perfect his team. Puels had six months and only the shitty January window to alter his squad.

Perhaps a few of our fans should read that over and over again until it sinks in.

His first two years they spent in the Championship, then one season in the Premier League, then relegation, one season back in the Championship, now in his second season back in the Premier League.

Quite the ride to get where they are now - also not forgetting how poor/mediocre the teams behind them are this season (including us).

He may have had six years, but half of that in the Championship and it took them a relegation to come back up again, stronger.

Puel is faced with a Premier League team already in its third straight year back in the top flight, so the ramifications and expectations aren't exactly the same, and I guess the league title does play into it to some extent.

We also have different owners with different targets as opposed to Burnley's.

I've suggested this a couple of times before, but with our club caught in No Man's Land in the table, maybe we need a kick up the arse to get things going again.

Reason why we've managed to establish ourselves in the Premier League was down to a capable manager (Pearson), a great backroom staff (with scouts like Walsh), shrewd signings (Mahrez springs to mind) and a great collective.

All things I think we're pretty much dearly missing at the moment some way or another.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

His first two years they spent in the Championship, then one season in the Premier League, then relegation, one season back in the Championship, now in his second season back in the Premier League.

Quite the ride to get where they are now - also not forgetting how poor/mediocre the teams behind them are this season (including us).

He may have had six years, but half of that in the Championship and it took them a relegation to come back up again, stronger.

Puel is faced with a Premier League team already in its third straight year back in the top flight, so the ramifications and expectations aren't exactly the same, and I guess the league title does play into it to some extent.

We also have different owners with different targets as opposed to Burnley's.

I've suggested this a couple of times before, but with our club caught in No Man's Land in the table, maybe we need a kick up the arse to get things going again.

Reason why we've managed to establish ourselves in the Premier League was down to a capable manager (Pearson), a great backroom staff (with scouts like Walsh), shrewd signings (Mahrez springs to mind) and a great collective.

All things I think we're pretty much dearly missing at the moment some way or another.

If ever a post screamed I've missed the point this is it. And no MC I did not read the whole post.

13 minutes ago, sylofox said:

If ever a post screamed I've missed the point this is it. And no MC I did not read the whole post.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

I just meant to say that comparing our situation to Burnley's isn't as easy as some are trying to make it look like.

Yes, Dyche has been at Burnley for six years now. Yet it took them a relegation to get back up and be where they are now - plus many teams below them largely underperforming this season.

Burnley's "result" or performance as of right now isn't just down to the manager, it's also based on luck (with other results working in your favour, the opposition failing to convert chances, etc.), hard work, application, team work and dedication.

Many attributes we are sorely missing under Puel at present.

11 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

I just meant to say that comparing our situation to Burnley's isn't as easy as some are trying to make it look like.

Yes, Dyche has been at Burnley for six years now. Yet it took them a relegation to get back up and be where they are now - plus many teams below them largely underperforming this season.

Burnley's "result" or performance as of right now isn't just down to the manager, it's also based on luck (with other results working in your favour, the opposition failing to convert chances, etc.), hard work, application, team work and dedication.

Many attributes we are sorely missing under Puel at present.

You can’t have it both ways MC - you said that our stats (those showing we missed lots of chances) weren’t relevant  but apparently they are re Burnley .....................

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You can’t have it both ways MC - you said that our stats (those showing we missed lots of chances) weren’t relevant  but apparently they are re Burnley .....................

I'm saying stats play into it, but they're merely one component of a huge construct. Football.

The xG and xGA hype is what I think is laughable.

Also, I was talking about Burnley, not us. You're the one mixing the one with the other.

An article by Matt Hughes in the Times today (can't link to, because of the paywall), points out Southampton players' misgivings about Puel last season. "5 Senior players are understood to have made their feelings known to the Board about Puel's tactical rigidity" (my highlighting). I would agree with that, he just can't seem to set the team up right against any opponents - hence the fact that we are so crap in the first half. He does make changes at, or soon after, half time, but I wonder if that's just panic, or someone like Appleton pointing out what's needed? He also seems to find it impossible to relate to people - the players and the media. 

3 hours ago, Outfox the Fox said:

An article by Matt Hughes in the Times today (can't link to, because of the paywall), points out Southampton players' misgivings about Puel last season. "5 Senior players are understood to have made their feelings known to the Board about Puel's tactical rigidity" (my highlighting). I would agree with that, he just can't seem to set the team up right against any opponents - hence the fact that we are so crap in the first half. He does make changes at, or soon after, half time, but I wonder if that's just panic, or someone like Appleton pointing out what's needed? He also seems to find it impossible to relate to people - the players and the media. 

Puel got the boot from Southampton because he only got 1 win in the final 8 games of their season. Sounds familiar?!