Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

13 hours ago, sylofox said:

All that I've put is from a source that called the shakey appointment. And the Maguire deal. So total fact? But he gets enough right for me.

You're not the only one who's saying that he's walking on thin ice and probably gone at the end of the season unless a spectacular change.

Let the circus continue then.

• Like 1

Yes, OldFox, great post.

I would like to see Pearson back at this club, probably not as Manager but more like a General Manager/ DOF type of role, where he could oversee the total infrastructure that he helped put in place during his last tenure. And what better person for the Thais to be able to turn to for strategic footballing advice.

• Like 2

Can you imagine if every premier league club outside the top 6 sacked their manager if they went on a bad run? Teams would have like 4 or 5 managers a season. It's up and down for all mid table clubs which is all we will ever be, 7th at best, unless we spent ridiculous money, so get used to runs of good and bad form, it's called football. We are top half nowhere near the bottom 3 and none of the squads are his players apart from diabate. When he came in October we looked awful and were near the bottom, so I'd say we have improved. We need to work on certain things big time, set pieces at both ends, sorting the defence and full backs out, learning how to break shit teams down who put 8 in defence (Swansea, Stoke, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Southampton) but on the whole top half on the prem and 2 quarter finals in cups is not really reason to want the guy out. I bet if he was English and made everyone laugh in interviews or made an ostrich joke he'd be more popular.

52 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

But every time they make the wrong call with someone and we end up going through a sack and hire process every few months we get further and further away from having that stability and ability to push on. They (and sadly many of our own fans) are not even giving someone a full season to prove their worth in spite of the fact that, overall, we're actually in a far better league position than we have been than at any point in the past 18 months. No one seems willing to accept that *maybe* trusting someone to get on with a long term overhaul of the team, squad and club might involve dips in form and not quite achieving our potential at the first time of asking under a new manager - as disappointing as that may be.

We won the league and played in Europe because of a perfect storm of various factors, not just because of our owners. If you're going to attribute our success solely to them then you might as well claim it's because we played in blue shorts for those two seasons. It's not as simple as that.

Like I say, it's laughable how it's always the manager's fault and those actually charged with appointing someone avoid scrutiny time after time, and instead people actively offer their unconditional support that they'll get it right the next time. Like others have said, we're becoming Watford and are fast turning into a laughing stock. Our luck will run out.

We may be in a better (league) position now, but certainly not "by far". The general growing concern and what counts is where we stand at the end of the season. Should we drop down to 10th or (behave) 11th, then Puel is by no means better equipped than Shakespeare or Ranieri.

We're close to blowing a tremendous chance of playing Europa League next season. See, who expected us to play with the realistic thought of finishing 7th at the start of the season? After the disappointing exit in the FA Cup at the hands of a beatable Chelsea FC, at least the club, manager and team had one last realistic goal in sight. Instead of going for it, they let it slide. I find that general attitude unforgivable and highly disappointing. If we continue to play "but we're Leicester, we should be thankful for (insert any finish between 8th and 17th here)", then I don't see how that's going to help us achieve anything in the near future. Should we continue to be happy about finishing 12th and turning into a mediocre team that manages to stay in the Premier League just for the sake of it?

Are we then playing for Premier League money only or the glory and joy of football?

Sure, it's not always the manager's fault and there are many factors coming together, but the buck stops with him. If he can't rally the troops behind him, be it the team or the fans, then he has failed. He failed to connect at Southampton and he continues to do so here. He doesn't give me the impression that he has learnt anything from the results fiasco at his previous club and he obviously has a hard time expressing himself properly outside of his native France.

The last part of your statement is pure conjecture, because there is no proof or indicator that we're "becoming Watford" or "turning into a laughing stock".

Managers come and go at pretty much any club after a while - if results don't go your way, you have a lot to answer for.

Whether our "luck" runs out or not, remains to be seen.

We could counter "bad luck" by actually trying to play progressive, somewhat attractive football that instills belief in the manager and the team again. There's little that can counter hard work and dedication, attributes we've desperately been missing in the past five months.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

We may be in a better (league) position now, but certainly not "by far". The general growing concern and what counts is where we stand at the end of the season. Should we drop down to 10th or (behave) 11th, then Puel is by no means better equipped than Shakespeare or Ranieri.

We're close to blowing a tremendous chance of playing Europa League next season. See, who expected us to play with the realistic thought of finishing 7th at the start of the season? After the disappointing exit in the FA Cup at the hands of a beatable Chelsea FC, at least the club, manager and team had one last realistic goal in sight. Instead of going for it, they let it slide. I find that general attitude unforgivable and highly disappointing. If we continue to play "but we're Leicester, we should be thankful for (insert any finish between 8th and 17th here)", then I don't see how that's going to help us achieve anything in the near future.

Sure, it's not always the manager's fault and there are many factors coming together, but the buck stops with him. If he can't rally the troops behind him, be it the team or the fans, then he has failed. He failed to connect at Southampton and he continues to do so here. He doesn't give me the impression that he has learnt anything from the results fiasco at his previous club.

The last part of your statement is pure conjecture, because there is no proof or indicator that we're "becoming Watford" or "turning into a laughing stock".

Managers come and go at pretty much any club after a while - if results don't go your way, you have a lot to answer for.

Whether our "luck" runs out or not, remains to be seen.

We could counter "bad luck" by actually trying to play progressive, somewhat attractive football that instills belief in the manager and the team again. There's little that comes close to hard work and dedication, attributes wer've desperately been missing in the past five months.

And who was responsible for their hirings and subsequent sackings? If we're not getting the quality of candidate that people (sometimes delusionally) think we deserve, then who is to blame for that time and again?

Obviously it's disappointing not to achieve our full potential this season, and going out of the Cups like we did was genuinely gutting, you're right. But surely you can see that repeating this stupid cycle is only going to lead to more disappointment and more chance of not achieving our full potential, despite the talent we have at our disposal these days.

41 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

You're not the only one who's saying that he's walking on thin ice and probably gone at the end of the season unless a spectacular change.

Let the circus continue then.

No I'm not but most are saying it since my post.

It also seems Appletons been told to keep an eye on what vacancies come up.

Seems we could be having a real clear out.

10 hours ago, brucey said:

It was Puel's choice to go with a possession game. There is nothing saying that we can't now go for a high press counter-attacking type of manager, in fact I'd very much love it if we did.

No way Dyche is coming anyway. Recently signed a new contract, plus Burnley are rich now and have EL.

It would be madness to spend 6 or 7 months adapting to a new system and instructing the recruitment team to find players that fit that new system, only to scrap it all and hire a manager with a totally different style.

The new manager doesn't have to have an identical style of play to Puel, but going with someone like Allardyce or Dyche would prove that there is no joined up thinking from the senior management at the club.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

It would be madness to spend 6 or 7 months adapting to a new system and instructing the recruitment team to find players that fit that new system, only to scrap it all and hire a manager with a totally different style.

The new manager doesn't have to have an identical style of play to Puel, but going with someone like Allardyce or Dyche would prove that there is no joined up thinking from the senior management at the club.

We are in a state of limbo between systems at the moment. We definitely haven't adapted to the new one fully. Trying to push further in the new direction will be just as difficult, if not more difficult than going back in the old direction. We'll also have several years worth of old scouting info for players that suited the old style. I still believe it is far easier for any clubs who are not at the very top to succeed with a high press (Liverpool style) game than a passing (Man City style) game.

• Like 1

Dear David Wagner,

We know you have the support of Huddersfield's fans, players and owners, support that remained even though difficult times.

We appreciate and admire that you've built a style of play and strong team at Huddersfield, a team that will only improve in strength with next season's influx of cash.

But we'd like to draw your attention to the newly available job at Leicester City.

We have a strong culture of player engagement. Indeed, both Claudio Ranieri and Craig Shakespeare found the players happy to engage with their careers.

Claude Puel particularly benefited from some excellent feedback which he is now using to further his career.

We offer our full support to build your preferred style of play and team. There are a few technicalities to work out with our team but there's no need to worry about minor technicalities at this point.

Failing clubs try to build success. Successful clubs magic it up from nowhere, much like Claudio Ranieri did with his preposterously long 18 months tenure.

We hope you join this fast-paced, exciting, dynamic, results-based team. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely, Leicester City Football Club

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

What would two sackings in twelve months say about Puel?

But should that happen, then there's a need to question our management on the whole, I concur.

No matter what you think of Shakespeare as a manager, to be sacked after the fixtures we had to go through at the end of last season and at the start of this season, and this after having received a three-year contract in June...

Whatever it says about Puel, it says more about us.

Leicester is a poisoned chalice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

He likes a challenge, we would give him one for sure!

A decent transfer budget, I think he is the best option we can go for. 

Is that challenge to last in the job more than a year?

We're going to be viewed as a big risk of a job to take on for anyone decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucey said:

We are in a state of limbo between systems at the moment. We definitely haven't adapted to the new one fully. Trying to push further in the new direction will be just as difficult, if not more difficult than going back in the old direction. We'll also have several years worth of old scouting info for players that suited the old style. I still believe it is far easier for any clubs who are not at the very top to succeed with a high press (Liverpool style) game than a passing (Man City style) game.

Wolves changed their whole system over last summer to 3-5-2 by getting in players who suited that system. It works if you have the right personnel. Meaning an actual transfer window and pre-season. 

19 minutes ago, nettle said:

My money would be on David Wagner.

Why would it? What has he done at Huddersfield that makes you think 'yes this is the man to drive us forward'?

Yes he has done well at Hudderfield keeping them in the prem, but if he did that with us he would get sacked. The owners if they want to move this club forward need to think bigger but then the fans would expect instant success as thats what our fans are starting to demand.

We are in a mess bigger than think, the minority of fans - which is getting bigger, demand instant success as if they werent they wouldnt be wanted Puel sacked, they would actually buy in to the changes that he is trying to impliment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Why would it? What has he done at Huddersfield that makes you think 'yes this is the man to drive us forward'?

Yes he has done well at Hudderfield keeping them in the prem, but if he did that with us he would get sacked. The owners if they want to move this club forward need to think bigger but then the fans would expect instant success as thats what our fans are starting to demand.

We are in a mess bigger than think, the minority of fans - which is getting bigger, demand instant success as if they werent they wouldnt be wanted Puel sacked, they would actually buy in to the changes that he is trying to impliment.

Jeez, not that chewed up claptrap of „instant success“ again.

Care to back that up or are you simply basing it on your own notion? My hunch is you‘re as far away from the truth as one can be, because no real or sensible Leicester City supporter would demand immediate return on investment, no matter whom the manager. Yet, patience wears thin with regards to Puel, and in the end, it‘s the owners who decide.

If Puel manages to win all four remaining matches or remain unbeaten, I think that‘d bode very well for next season. Fail, and he‘s got no one else to blame but himself, thanks to grand results and performances against Crystal Palace (relegation-threatened), Everton (negative goal difference), Swansea (relegation-threatened), Stoke (relegation-threatened), Bournemouth (not completely safe yet), Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley and Southampton (relegation-threatened).

Define „instant“ and „success“ for a club like Leicester City and we can take it from there.

Edited by MC Prussian

13 hours ago, brucey said:

It was Puel's choice to go with a possession game. There is nothing saying that we can't now go for a high press counter-attacking type of manager, in fact I'd very much love it if we did.

No way Dyche is coming anyway. Recently signed a new contract, plus Burnley are rich now and have EL.

Not that rich. Dyche only getting £70k a week for 5 years...so a buy-out by another club would only be £17.5 million. Peanuts for your Thai tycoon.:)

19 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I think the Burnley game was the one where the owners decided enough was enough.

The Crystal Palace owner felt the same...De Boer.

The Everton owner felt the same..............Koeman.

It's called "The Losing to Burnley Is Unacceptable Syndrome".

Wenger would have been next...but Arsenal pre-empted this probability.

Edited by lancyclaret

Just now, Rusko187 said:

If they don't go up I like this Slavisa Jokanovic, hard done by Watford when he got them promoted and has done a solid job at Fulham.

Good shout that. I like watching Fulham too, play some good football.