Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Sam Allardyce's team is in 8th place and we've been told for months now that 8th would be a great season for us .Now I'm not saying we should appoint Big Sam but according to some on here he should be good enough.

Also according to some on here/apparently he ‘just keeps teams up’.

Being contradictory that just sums up how poor this league has been this season because tbf 8th is only just above what has been for the most part of the season a massive relegation battle for the whole of the bottom half.

Whether Sean Dyche has been approached before, I don't know.  But if he has, then either he turned the job down, or else he wasn't offered it.  If he turned it down, he will turn it down again; if he wasn't offered it, then he wouldn't accept a job where he was by no means first choice and where four managers have been sacked in three years, and where the club is willing to negotiate with a new man while still notionally employing the existing man.

At Burnley, Dyche is at a club which is hopefully in Europe next year, where he has a squad which will run through walls on request, where he has a Board of Directors who are happy to let him do anything he wants including setting the budget, and where he knows he won't be sacked if the club is in 15th place ten games into the season or even 30 games into the season.  Yes, Leicester has very rich owners, 50% higher gates, and five times the catchment area that Burnley does; but in spite of the "many pond notes" comments, I don't think he's obsessed with having just a little more money.  If the owners promise £200m a year investment, who knows?

The one temptation that Leicester have and Burnley don't is Vardy & Mahrez,  Stick those two in any club outside the top 6 and there will be significant improvement - no-one else outside the top 6 has players like that.  It makes management so much easier with a natural goalscorer up top, and clubs like ours can't normally get them or keep them.  But Mahrez can't be relied on to be at Leicester next year.

• Like 4

I've no idea who we go for from here to be honest.

We need to get this one right, and have a 3-4 year plan going forwards.

Ideally I'd like someone who can instill some discipline and get us working hard with a bit of quality.

The real mistake was hiring Shakey last summer (and I was one of those who wanted him to get the job). Claude was a convenient appointment, right person, right time. I doubt we would have gone for Claude had we been looking last summer (he was sacked by Southampton about a week after Shakey was appointed so wasn't available) but it wasn't as if we looked at Claude and decided he is the man to take us forwards for 3-4 years. It seemed like it was a choice of either Claude or Fat Sam.

The fact our season has mirrored Southampton's from last season just shows to me he didn't really learn from what happened last season with drab football and pathetic home performances, it's all right Claude campaigning for more time, even wheeling out his mate Glenn Hoddle but it looks like nobody is convinced by him from the fans to the board.

We could and should have been at least competing with Burnley for 7th place and the way we surrendered that challenge is difficult to accept.

Anyway I back our owners to make the correct decision. 

I am however concerned about what role Rudkin has, there are questions to answer regarding the repeated transfer failures and managerial appointments. As was pointed out earlier, it isn't a coincidence that we've appointed "nice guy" managers like Claudio, Shakey and Claude rather than a maverick like Nigel Pearson. Hand picked by Rudkin because they are easy to deal with ???

Then again, Rudkin has overseen the great escape, title win and champions league quarter finals as Director Of Football which looks pretty good an a CV !!!

Whenever we've got rid of managers recently, there's been no clear target beforehand. If the board do want to get rid of Puel, look for a decent replacement, make contact and if it doesn't work out, stick with Puel. I can see something similar happen, however, Puel will go, we won't get who we want for whatever reason and we'll get Pearson.

• Like 1

After a flying start, Puel seems to unsure of what he is doing,

Why didn't we bring in Sean Dyche? Now there is Arsene Wenger, and that is who I would try to bring in. He's been at all levels of the game, so has vast experience, as well as many contacts within the game. If we have big money to spend, then I would feel more than happy to see him at the helm.

6 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Dream managerial team

274977E300000578-0-image-m-18_1428235196

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

only if cambiasso is on tactics ....................

Sack Rudkin with Puel, Bring back Nige as DOF and Walsh as head scout :wub:

:nigel: What a team!

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Whether Sean Dyche has been approached before, I don't know.  But if he has, then either he turned the job down, or else he wasn't offered it.  If he turned it down, he will turn it down again; if he wasn't offered it, then he wouldn't accept a job where he was by no means first choice and where four managers have been sacked in three years, and where the club is willing to negotiate with a new man while still notionally employing the existing man.

At Burnley, Dyche is at a club which is hopefully in Europe next year, where he has a squad which will run through walls on request, where he has a Board of Directors who are happy to let him do anything he wants including setting the budget, and where he knows he won't be sacked if the club is in 15th place ten games into the season or even 30 games into the season.  Yes, Leicester has very rich owners, 50% higher gates, and five times the catchment area that Burnley does; but in spite of the "many pond notes" comments, I don't think he's obsessed with having just a little more money.  If the owners promise £200m a year investment, who knows?

The one temptation that Leicester have and Burnley don't is Vardy & Mahrez,  Stick those two in any club outside the top 6 and there will be significant improvement - no-one else outside the top 6 has players like that.  It makes management so much easier with a natural goalscorer up top, and clubs like ours can't normally get them or keep them.  But Mahrez can't be relied on to be at Leicester next year.

Depends on how ambitious he is.

He's not going to take Burnley much further than he has done, a foray in the europa league potentially?

And no he's not been approached before formally, he was sounded out last time and wanted to bring his own staff with him and it didn't go any further than that.

I would like to go for Marco Silva. No club at the moment, and he is a great coach. Did well in Spain + Greece, improved Hull and Watford. We have more to offer than Watford, such as finances, players, stadium, number of fans etc and I do not think he would want to leave for any other club unless in the champions league. 

2 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

After a flying start, Puel seems to unsure of what he is doing,

Why didn't we bring in Sean Dyche? Now there is Arsene Wenger, and that is who I would try to bring in. He's been at all levels of the game, so has vast experience, as well as many contacts within the game. If we have big money to spend, then I would feel more than happy to see him at the helm.

....can not understand why you would want Wenger as our next manager. I can't see him working in the Prem and I would suspect he would be off to China.

His arrogance and stubbornness at Arsenal contributed to their failures in competing with the top teams. It is not about developing a club but about his philosophy on football and his need to prove his way is the right way and blow everything else.

Definitely a no!!!!!

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Depends on how ambitious he is.

He's not going to take Burnley much further than he has done, a foray in the europa league potentially?

And no he's not been approached before formally, he was sounded out last time and wanted to bring his own staff with him and it didn't go any further than that.

The implication being that while Burnley can't possibly make the big 6 into a big 7, Leicester can?  I have my doubts.  If the Leicester owner's expectation (as past history suggests) is that the bare minimum for Leicester is 7th, and success can only be achieved by 6th and better, and if the club drops to 8th you're out of a job - it's a big big risk to leave Burnley for that.