Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

19 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The same Evans that West Brom wanted £30m for last season?

The same Evans that Man City and Arsenal tried to buy in the last 12 months?

The same Evans that has been West Brom's best player in two of the last three seasons?

The same Evan that Alex Ferguson was stunned when Man Utd sold him and thought it was a huge mistake?

I am not sure all these statements you make are in fact correct.  But putting that to one side, at 30 he lacks pace which is exactly the same deficiency we have with Wes, and BTW Harry is not the quickest either. We should be looking at a younger more mobile CB to compliment what we have.   

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Depends on the performance. Losing away to Man U wouldn't be a shock, if we give a good account of ourselves,don't get thrashed,manage a few attempts on goal ( not a blocked shot after a painfully slow build up means they have every defender back) and generally look competent then I won't complain.

The Wolves home game is key to Puel’s survival. They have a winnable home game to kick off too, so could be going into it with loads of confidence.

Lose that, the Southampton game already becomes a tricky 6 pointer before the visit of Liverpool. 

It’s not difficult to visualise a situation where we’re bottom after 4 games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I am not sure all these statements you make are in fact correct.  But putting that to one side, at 30 he lacks pace which is exactly the same deficiency we have with Wes, and BTW Harry is not the quickest either. We should be looking at a younger more mobile CB to compliment what we have.   

Tell me which ones you think are incorrect and I'll show you some evidence.

9 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The Wolves home game is key to Puel’s survival. They have a winnable home game to kick off too, so could be going into it with loads of confidence.

Lose that, the Southampton game already becomes a tricky 6 pointer before the visit of Liverpool. 

& so what if we are it's 4 games for christ sake we don't get relegated after 4 games, we play 2 of the top 4 & 1 of the unknowns in the 1st 4 games i think some  need to manage their expectations a little better.
I hope to god that some on this forum don't have to manage a major crisis in their real lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Tell me which ones you think are incorrect and I'll show you some evidence.

I cannot be arsed actually to go into all this, but for the record, 3 and 4 look iffy to me.   Please do not waste your time trawling through WBA player of the year votes or trying to dig up quotes from Sir Alec from the Sun.

My point was, at 30 years of age, he is a short-term fix and lacks the pace we are acutely devoid of in a key position in our defense. We saw this deficiency bite us on the bum several times last season with Wes.  So to summarise, yes an up-grade on Wes, but not one that is likely to improve us that much.

Just now, mozartfox said:

I cannot be arsed actually to go into all this, but for the record, 3 and 4 look iffy to me.   Please do not waste your time trawling through WBA player of the year votes or trying to dig up quotes from Sir Alec from the Sun.

My point was, at 30 years of age, he is a short-term fix and lacks the pace we are acutely devoid of in a key position in our defense. We saw this deficiency bite us on the bum several times last season with Wes.  So to summarise, yes an up-grade on Wes, but not one that is likely to improve us that much.

We'll agree to disagree then.

30 isn't past the sell by date for a centre half, Morgan hadn't played PL football until he was 30 and Huth was older than that when he signed for Leicester.

Man City and Arsenal were interested signing him in January this year. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-johnny-evans-transfer-14135788

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-jonny-evans-transfer-manchester-city-aymeric-laporte-news-updates-a8175096.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

We could also be top it’s happened before you know . ?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Then he'll have to prove us wrong. Until he does,doubts about his ability are entirely justified.

And what would he have to do, in your eyes, to do that? It'd be nice to see some tangible targets and time frames, rather than vague notions about us not playing "turgid" football that I seem to have seen over the past few months.

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

And what would he have to do, in your eyes, to do that? It'd be nice to see some tangible targets and time frames, rather than vague notions about us not playing "turgid" football that I seem to have seen over the past few months.

50 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Depends on the performance. Losing away to Man U wouldn't be a shock, if we give a good account of ourselves,don't get thrashed,manage a few attempts on goal ( not a blocked shot after a painfully slow build up means they have every defender back) and generally look competent then I won't complain.

Just now, Voll Blau said:

OK, so one game against one of the league's top sides is going to be your marker as to whether criticism is justified or not?

No, it will  be based on last season performances as well. Surely asking for general competence isn't too much to ask? 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

No, it will  be based on last season performances as well. Surely asking for general competence isn't too much to ask? 

But you said it was up to him to prove you wrong. So, with some tangilble targets (league positions at certain intervals, number of points, how we're doing in Cups etc), at what point does he do that?

But you said it was up to him to prove you wrong. So, with some tangilble targets (league positions at certain intervals, number of points, how we're doing in Cups etc), at what point does he do that?

Okay. We were told last season we couldn't judge him because he hadn't had pre season and a chance to buy his own players. He hasn't got that excuse now so I expect better than last season, more points and a higher position.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Okay. We were told last season we couldn't judge him because he hadn't had pre season and a chance to buy his own players. He hasn't got that excuse now so I expect better than last season, more points and a higher position.

OK, and you're willing to give him a full season to achieve that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

It won't be up to me.

OK, let me rephrase that if you want to get pedantic about it. Are you, as a supporter who quite obviously has an opinion on the matter, happy for the owners to give him a full season in order to achieve those targets?

Edited by Voll Blau

People can judge Puel by their own criteria.

What I really don't get is harping back to last season. He has had a full pre-season now and some (all?) of his transfer targets are now here. He could succeed, he could fail. However, if we have a poor game against Man U, people who are not fans are going to add in last seasons statistics to try and hang him with. You can hear it now, 'that's 23 games we've been rubbish for wah ,wah, wah.'

When, in reality, it'll have been one bad game (of any importance) as last season is over.

Whilst overall performance has to be taken into account over a tenure at a club, too much emphasis is being placed on last season just a few days before the new one begins. People just want to hang him, come what may. I find that pretty distasteful.

Before the mob descend on me, I'm far from convinced and want improvements but I'm not going to base my opinion on the first 4 games (or last seasons games). The opprobrium raining down on him before a ball is kicked seems way over the top.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 2

OK, let me rephrase that if you want to get pedantic about it. Are you, as a supporter who quite obviously has an opinion the matter, happy for the owners to give him a full season in order to achieve those targets?

If we've played 3 or 4 games and we're playing like we did against Palace, or West Ham or Bournemouth in the second half of last season will I want him to have more time? Most definitely not. 

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Understand your overall point and it’s valid. However I don’t think success can be rated simply on points and a higher position. 

We are in transition and just lost an absolute wizard. Couple of teams pushed on in personnel and we’ve probably steadied up. I’d say on footballing hierarchy a repeated 9th would be a good season considering the squad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

The same Evans that West Brom wanted £30m for last season?

The same Evans that Man City and Arsenal tried to buy in the last 12 months?

The same Evans that has been West Brom's best player in two of the last three seasons?

The same Evan that Alex Ferguson was stunned when Man Utd sold him and thought it was a huge mistake?

The same Evans that West Brom never sold last season?

The same Evans that Man City and Arsenal allegedly tried to buy in the last 12 months?

The same Evans that was shit against Notts County?

The same Evans that sold for £3.5m to little old Leicester?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, red5 said:

The same Evans that West Brom never sold last season?

The same Evans that Man City and Arsenal allegedly tried to buy in the last 12 months?

The same Evans that was shit against Notts County?

The same Evans that sold for £3.5m to little old Leicester?

Imagine judging a player on one friendly and judging his value on a release clause. :blush:

It was widely reported by dozens of media outlets that Man City and Arsenal wanted him, if you want to choose to disbelieve that to suit your narrative then go ahead. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Imagine judging a player on one friendly and judging his value on a release clause. :blush:

It was widely reported by dozens of media outlets that Man City and Arsenal wanted him, if you want to choose to disbelieve that to suit your narrative then go ahead. 

It’s unreal isn’t it. This place is the pits recently 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

It’s unreal isn’t it. This place is the pits recently 

Not sure why so much negativity this Summer. I feel that we have picked up some fans who thought we were going to finish top four every year.

It irritates me to hear our players & management being slagged on a daily basis.

We are a progressive club with some great young players.

• Like 4

The negativity is clearly about expectation. When we won the league the expectation level went through the roof.

This was immediately dashed when it looked like Ranners was actually going to get us relegated.

But people have had the taste of success. They want more of it.

It’s for this reason that us blokes nearing 50 probably think (I know I do) that we will never again in our lifetimes see scenes like we witnessed at the KP when we did the impossible. But the younger generation will want it again!

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 4