Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Joint favourite to win the Premier league sack race. 

A slow start and he'll be gone before Christmas. 

I fear we have a hell of a lot of deadwood in the squad, far too many poor buys who clearly weren't worth what we paid for them (Slimani, Mendy, Iheanacho, Musa). 

Going to be a long and tough season. 

45 minutes ago, maddog said:

I fear we have a hell of a lot of deadwood in the squad, far too many poor buys who clearly weren't worth what we paid for them (Slimani, Mendy, Iheanacho, Musa). 

Don't believe anything the bookies say at this stage of pre-season. Pre-season!

As per usual from the Mendy out front, harsh on Nampalys. Highly unlucky with his injuries at LCFC, then played only a minor role on loan at OGC Nice.

Pre-season performances suggest that there's something about him and that he could finally be able to fill the void after Kanté's departure. Fingers crossed he stays injury-free this time. :fc:

With regards to Iheanacho, he's shown his brilliance a couple of times towards the end of last season, and I'm expecting him to deliver now. Finally looking like the expensive player he is/was.

Slimani and Musa might still leave the club this summer, so there's hope.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, maddog said:

For me, the bloated squad, full of mediocrity, is the biggest concern. Why have we not slimmed it down and replaced about 5 or 6 with 2 or 3 really good players?

If we start badly, it’ll be tough going this year I think.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

For me, the bloated squad, full of mediocrity, is the biggest concern. Why have we not slimmed it down and replaced about 5 or 6 with 2 or 3 really good players?

Because we can't force teams to buy players they don't want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maddog said:

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Of that, there's no doubt.

What we can say though, is that Puel was not responsible for that. I'm pretty sure he would like to get rid of a lot of deadwood but no one seems to want them. Understandable given the huge wages some of them are on.

That doesn't apply to Musa of course. We did have a £12m bid for him and I'd have been inclined to take it. I defended Musa over his first season but I have to accept it looks like I was wrong. From Puel's point of view though, rate Musa or not, he hasn't got a lot of alternatives considering Slim and Iheanacho have hardly set the World alight. Maybe he feels he needs Musa if we can't get a good striker in. I can't imagine we turned the bid down just because we wanted an extra couple of million for him. 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I thought we’d had offers? Musa for instance.

That's the only one though isn't it Col?

I said a couple of posts above that I'd have been inclined to take it but I think Puel probably thinks he'd rather have someone than no one. If the unimaginable happened and Vardy was injured, we probably would need Musa even though that would be a scary prospect (needing Musa I mean). If we'd had another striker in, I think we may have accepted that bid. I could be completely wrong of course.

• Like 1

Serious question: what does everyone have against Sam Allardyce? Is it the FA thing or his demeanor or style of football?

I don’t think he’s ever got a side relegated has he? 

What do people want, for City to be playing a certain style of football and believe we’ll get it with Puel?

If Puel does get the sack, at least you know with Allardyce we’ll become well organized, yet there’s so much hatred almost?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Serious question: what does everyone have against Sam Allardyce? Is it the FA thing or his demeanor or style of football?

What do people want, for City to be playing a certain style of football and believe we’ll get it with Puel?

If Puel does get the sack, at least you know with Allardyce we’ll become well organized, yet there’s so much hatred almost?

I’d say for a lot of people, we’d like to be the best team of the rest outside of the top six. 

I think thats hard to imagine with Big Sam. No doubt you’d be safe. But he really fails to push on past 10th. Shows no respect to European competitions, or to Domestic Cups. I’d struggle to name a player that Big Sam has developed into a better player 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d say for a lot of people, we’d like to be the best team of the rest outside of the top six. 

I think thats hard to imagine with Big Sam. No doubt you’d be safe. But he really fails to push on past 10th. Shows no respect to European competitions, or to Domestic Cups. I’d struggle to name a player that Big Sam has developed into a better player 

What about the Bolton days? A long time ago, granted.

Kevin Nolan, Kevin Davies come off the cuff.

Yeah, you might be right...can’t think of many more...

:yesyes:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

For me it's the dull football. Think that was the issue for most Everton fans too. He's a slightly better version of Gary Megson. 

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Mine's actually completely irrational. I can't stand the sight of the bloke. He's proven he could do a job at a club our size, I just wouldn't want him too. 

If the equation was, Allardyce will keep you up without him you'll go down, I'd take him but that's because I'm a self interested, fickle football fan if I'm honest. I'd almost rather have anyone else though with the exception of Redknapp, Levein, Pardew and a couple of others.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What about the Bolton days? A long time ago, granted.

Kevin Nolan, Kevin Davies come off the cuff.

Yeah, you might be right...can’t think of many more...

:yesyes:

That's fair comment. He's not all bad by any means. I just can't stand him, it's not even the dull football, it's just him. lol

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

That's fair comment. He's not all bad by any means. I just can't stand him, it's not even the dull football, it's just him. lol

Fair play mate and as usual, you’re being straight and honest. I’m of a pretty similar opinion really. He just can’t progress a club anymore can he. He’s just like a ‘trouble-shooter’ who comes in and plugs the gaps. But after that, then what?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Thick as pig shit Brummie accent. Check.

Coming across as a bit of a wide boy. Check.

Appearing to show no ambition other than survival. Check.

Awful football. Check.

Big sweaty upper lip area. Check.

It's a no from me.

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

Very few are vocally pro Puel. But many have their knives out for Puel.

Give the man the time we gave Shakespeare.

And we gave Shakepeare half one season, a transfer window and the start of another season.

The frantic naysaying seems odd.

Edited by Foxxed